The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Enterprise (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Does season 4 of enterprise have closure like DS9's finale had? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=203782)

Hespen February 18 2013 07:34 AM

Does season 4 of enterprise have closure like DS9's finale had?

Does season 4 of enterprise have closure like DS9's finale had?

I was thinking of watching enterprise but was curious if the show ends properly the same way DS9 ended. I recently watched voyager and the shows finale ended horribly IMO. Does enterprise end horribly as well or is it epic?

Please no spoilers, I'm just wondering if the show ends properly with a proper finale.

Dream February 18 2013 07:56 AM

Re: Does season 4 of enterprise have closure like DS9's finale had?

If you skip These Are the Voyages and just pretend that Terra Prime was the last episode then you can pretend that ENT had a good ending.

Therin of Andor February 18 2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Hespen wrote: (Post 7697827)
I'm just wondering if the show ends properly with a proper finale.

There was a slim possibility that the show was coming back, so there was a Manny Coto & the Reeves-Stevens' two-parter ("Demons"/"Terra Prime") that many people like to think of as the real finale of Archer's adventures, tying up a few loose ends, followed by a final episode that Berman & Braga had written some time earlier, "These Are the Voyages...", that features two rather unusual flashwards and a few events that many fans were very scornful about.

The final words and visuals, though, are delightful and pay suitable homage to previous ST series about ships named Enterprise (Picard, Kirk and Archer).

Had ENT gone seven seasons, and spun off into feature films, they'd probably have addressed the Romulan/Earth Wars and/or the aftermath of same, as the timeframe was about correct.

DonIago February 18 2013 08:21 AM

I think in particular S3 and 4 of ENT are worth a watch, but nothing at the end of S4 is a "proper" finale in the sense of WYLB.

teacake February 18 2013 08:59 AM

There is no clip show.

Dream February 18 2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 7698031)
There is no clip show.

Don't you mean there is no "These Are the Voyages"?;)

teacake February 18 2013 09:23 AM

That goes without saying. But hey, let's all say it anyway.. TERRA PRIME IS A LOVELY FINALE.

Tiberius February 18 2013 10:21 AM

Yeah. Stop at terra prime. Watch TaTV after The Pegasus on your next run through of TNG.

King Daniel Into Darkness February 18 2013 11:06 AM

"Demons"/"Terra Prime" are a fitting finale to ENT, setting up a large part the other Trek's quite well.

"These Are the Voyages" is a sucktacular coda that will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

ChristopherPike February 18 2013 11:44 AM

Take TATV out of the equation, which I'm inclined to do (because it feels like it was written in isolation and utterly disconnected from the other 19 or so episodes before it) and there's no closure.

Season 4 is too busy setting up story arcs left, right and centre... that didn't get the chance to bear fruit. Setting up its stall for future years of Enterprise that should basically have happened...

teacake February 18 2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

ChristopherPike wrote: (Post 7698244)
Take TATV out of the equation, which I'm inclined to do (because it feels like it was written in isolation and utterly disconnected from the other 19 or so episodes before it) and there's no closure.

I don't need closure since I know what happens in the 24 seasons of Star Trek that follow it.

ChristopherPike February 18 2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 7698283)
I don't need closure since I know what happens in the 24 seasons of Star Trek that follow it.

Unfortunately (for me at any rate) that seemed to be the consensus.

One that ultimately renders any prequel or (come to think of it) any drama set in what can be considered to be the past... worthless.

King Daniel Into Darkness February 18 2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

ChristopherPike wrote: (Post 7698331)
Quote:

One that ultimately renders any prequel or drama set in our past (come to think of it) completely worthless.

I don't think thats the case about prequels at all. Just because you know how it ends, doesn't mean interesting stories can't be told about how we got from there to here. The very best give added meaning to their source material.

For example...

MacLeod February 18 2013 12:59 PM

I'd agree with the notion that the last scene of Terra Prime is a fitting end to the series. As for TATV, that's basically a TNG episode dressed up as an ENT episode.

ChristopherPike February 18 2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7698373)
Quote:

ChristopherPike wrote: (Post 7698331)
Quote:

One that ultimately renders any prequel or drama set in our past (come to think of it) completely worthless.

I don't think thats the case about prequels at all. Just because you know how it ends, doesn't mean interesting stories can't be told about how we got from there to here. The very best give added meaning to their source material.

For example...

Well yes, I really already knew and enjoyed all that! Enterprise being my favourite modern-era Trek.

I was really just bemoaning the lack of a 5th Season onwards, and the fact teacake's "I get closure watching the other shows" is the prevailing opinion. ;)