The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Is worf a Federation Citizen (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=203710)

WesleysDisciple February 17 2013 06:34 AM

Is worf a Federation Citizen

Hes served in starfleet, He was raised by a pair of federation citizens.

He wasnt born in the federation.

I think its a valid concern

robau February 17 2013 07:26 AM

Re: Is worf a Federation Citizen

Worf is a sleeper agent of the Empire.

TheOneWhoKnocks February 17 2013 07:41 AM

he holds dual citizenship, at least during periods when he isn't being shunned by the high council

JirinPanthosa February 17 2013 07:55 AM

Are adopted Chinese children citizens of the US?

Worf was adopted by a human family as a small child, I can't imagine by the time he's in his 40's he hasn't been granted Earth citizenship.

George Steinbrenner February 17 2013 04:36 PM

I'm sure that Worf automatically became a citizen of the Federation when the Rozhenkos adopted him as a child. Isn't that part of the legal process associated with adoption - you become a citizen of the country that your adoptive parents are from? In any case, I'm sure the Federation treats it as such.

heavy lids February 17 2013 04:41 PM

I'd have to say yes. He serves in the Federation military and he was raised by Federation citizens.

I can't remember what episode of TNG it is, but I remember Wesley and Picard having a conversation and Wesley says something along the lines of, "Was this before the Klingons joined the Federation?". Was this a writers error? I don't think the Klingons ever became part of the Federation.

George Steinbrenner February 17 2013 04:48 PM

^ That line was written before anyone knew what to do with the Klingons. The continuity hadn't been established yet. There was also one episode where Q implies that the Klingons were *conquered* by the Federation, which is also obviously not true...but that was one possible angle the writers were considering as well as this one.

C.E. Evans February 17 2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

heavy lids wrote: (Post 7694569)
I can't remember what episode of TNG it is, but I remember Wesley and Picard having a conversation and Wesley says something along the lines of, "Was this before the Klingons joined the Federation?". Was this a writers error? I don't think the Klingons ever became part of the Federation.

That line could be viewed in regards to the Khitomer Accords and/or the apparent post-Narendra III alliance between the Federation and the Klingons, IMO.

Timo February 17 2013 07:49 PM

Yeah, after the incident Picard describes, the Klingons could have joined the Federation... in maintaining Farspace Starbase Earhart.

As for citizenship, it's far from certain that the Klingon Empire even recognizes the concept. Klingons are Klingons - they don't hold "citizenships" or other such alien nonsense. If they are caught doing something against Klingon law or tradition, Klingons will come and judge them no matter what, where or with whom.

Timo Saloniemi

George Steinbrenner February 17 2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 7695163)
As for citizenship, it's far from certain that the Klingon Empire even recognizes the concept. Klingons are Klingons - they don't hold "citizenships" or other such alien nonsense. If they are caught doing something against Klingon law or tradition, Klingons will come and judge them no matter what, where or with whom.

Yet in "Sins of the Father", it's said that Worf is safe from Klingon justice as long as he's in the Federation.

Timo February 17 2013 07:54 PM

...But perhaps only because it's so damn expensive to send assassins all the way into the heart of the UFP? :devil:

Seriously speaking, when K'Mpec says "your life in the Federation would not be affected by this judgement", he's apparently simply saying that Worf will be a sentenced criminal but the sentence will not involve any elements that would significantly inconvenience Worf's everyday affairs. It's not as if Worf would have been put to death inside the Klingon Empire, either, had he done what K'Mpec is speaking of and accepted his father's smearing. He'd be the son of a dishonorable traitor, then, and forced to compensate for that if he ever wanted to be somebody himself (the way Klag compensated by denying his father in "A Matter of Honor"), but none of this would affect his UFP Starfleet career.

Timo Saloniemi

George Steinbrenner February 17 2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 7695187)
none of this would affect his UFP Starfleet career.

Exactly. Like I said, Worf is safe from Klingon justice as long as he remains in Starfleet and within Federation jurisdiction. Therefore, Klingon justice can't touch him there.

Timo February 17 2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Worf is safe from Klingon justice
No, he will feel the full wrath of that justice. It just won't amount to much, not in the lifestyle he has chosen.

It's a case of a trillionaire getting a fine of half a million dollars, or a quadriplegic being ordered to house arrest, is all.

Timo Saloniemi

BennyRussel February 18 2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 7693768)
Are adopted Chinese children citizens of the US?

Worf was adopted by a human family as a small child, I can't imagine by the time he's in his 40's he hasn't been granted Earth citizenship.

I don't think Worf was ever adopted. He was raised by Mr. and Mrs. Rozhenko, but I am sure he referred to them at different times as "Foster Parents" and "Parents"

AFAIK there was no formal adoption, which is why he refers to himself as "Son of Mogh" and not "Son of Sergey"

Nevertheless, to respond to the OP's question, I think Worf is a UFP citizen simply because he chose to be and he agreed to join Starfleet and adhere to their principles and rules of life.

He also retained his Klingon Empire citizen status when he wasn't blackballed.

Sci February 18 2013 10:34 PM

Worf would have to be a Federation citizen in order to serve as Federation Ambassador to the Klingon Empire at the end of DS9.