The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How 'bout this? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=203593)

Grup February 16 2013 02:09 AM

How 'bout this?
 
Not being familiar at all with Cumberbatches work, what if....he is not the reason behind all the destruction we see? What if Wellers character appears in the film and almost immediately kills off Harrison? Harrisons appearance in the trailer is just a red herring and Weller is actually the prime antagonist throughout the film. I don't know if Benedict is a big enough star that this would ever happen or if J.J. has the skills to throw such a curve ball.

Is
EBC that big of a commodity that he would not accept that kind of treatment on screen? (like Shatner and cameos)

CorporalClegg February 16 2013 02:13 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
Stardom has nothing to do with one's ability to play evil.

Who the fuck knew who JEJ was in 1976?

SalvorHardin February 16 2013 02:13 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
Yeah, I'll go with a definite no on this one.

The Wormhole February 16 2013 02:27 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
Quote:

Grup wrote: (Post 7689241)
Not being familiar at all with Cumberbatches work, what if....he is not the reason behind all the destruction we see? What if Wellers character appears in the film and almost immediately kills off Harrison? Harrisons appearance in the trailer is just a red herring and Weller is actually the prime antagonist throughout the film. I don't know if Benedict is a big enough star that this would ever happen or if J.J. has the skills to throw such a curve ball.

Is EBC that big of a commodity that he would not accept that kind of treatment on screen? (like Shatner and cameos)

Cumberbatch is something of a rising star and indeed the show in which he plays the lead (and titular) character has had to wait until he's available before they film the next season. Why would they do that if his character is almost immediately killed off? Hell, he wouldn't really have to put any time in on set for that.

Plus what little is known makes it very clear he will be around for a decent portion of the movie. Would he have been on the movie's poster if he weren't the main villain?

FlapJoy February 16 2013 02:34 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
It would be interesting if Harrison wasn't the villain, but a rogue character on a misunderstood mission to do what needs to be done. A Bond style covert op, with a license to set his phaser to kill. A character who's actions go beyond whatever directives Starfleet abides by. Weller being the true baddie, in sheep's clothing, later to be revealed as the villain he is by Harrison and his one man war across the Federation. ...whatever's up, seems damn exciting!

CorporalClegg February 16 2013 03:23 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
I'd be ecstatic if Harrison was a classic foil. I would also be really, really surprised with buzzwords like "revenge" flying around.

It's sort of the one element Hollywood seems to miss these days every time it compares whatever the next villain is to Ledger-Joker.

Grup February 16 2013 03:55 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
Quote:

CorporalClegg wrote: (Post 7689265)
Stardom has nothing to do with one's ability to play evil.

Who the fuck knew who JEJ was in 1976?

No disrespect intended towards BC. Just what I've seen of him in the trailer impresses me. Plus the obvious fan following he has. I was just wondering if BC wasn't the one making a 'cameo' and he actually wasn't the focus of the film and only a big misdirection by JJ just to fool with us. I also have not seen the '9 minutes' so I may just be talking out my azz. :lol:

chardman February 16 2013 03:56 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
Quote:

Grup wrote: (Post 7689241)

Is
EBC that big of a commodity that he would not accept that kind of treatment on screen? (like Shatner and cameos)

Quote:

CorporalClegg wrote: (Post 7689265)

Who the fuck knew who JEJ was in 1976?

EBC? JEJ? WTF?

Grup February 16 2013 04:14 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
Quote:

chardman wrote: (Post 7689679)
Quote:

Grup wrote: (Post 7689241)

Is
EBC that big of a commodity that he would not accept that kind of treatment on screen? (like Shatner and cameos)

Quote:

CorporalClegg wrote: (Post 7689265)

Who the fuck knew who JEJ was in 1976?

EBC? JEJ? WTF?

LOL :techman: I meant BC not EBC. My bad.

Sigokat February 16 2013 05:02 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
Quote:

FlapJoy wrote: (Post 7689385)
It would be interesting if Harrison wasn't the villain, but a rogue character on a misunderstood mission to do what needs to be done. A Bond style covert op, with a license to set his phaser to kill. A character who's actions go beyond whatever directives Starfleet abides by. Weller being the true baddie, in sheep's clothing, later to be revealed as the villain he is by Harrison and his one man war across the Federation. ...whatever's up, seems damn exciting!

Kind of like if he works for Section 31? I could get behind something like that.

I'm just pissed I won't get to see this movie on the big screen and I'm going to have to resist getting a ripped copy here...:-(

chardman February 16 2013 05:25 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
Quote:

Grup wrote: (Post 7689754)
Quote:

chardman wrote: (Post 7689679)
Quote:

Grup wrote: (Post 7689241)

Is
EBC that big of a commodity that he would not accept that kind of treatment on screen? (like Shatner and cameos)

Quote:

CorporalClegg wrote: (Post 7689265)

Who the fuck knew who JEJ was in 1976?

EBC? JEJ? WTF?

LOL :techman: I meant BC not EBC. My bad.

Ah. Thanx.

Now if only someone would reveal who the heck JEJ is.

Enterprise is Great February 16 2013 05:49 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
James Earl Jones

DaveyNY February 16 2013 06:18 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
...Who was a very well known actor... long before Star Wars came along.

CorporalClegg February 16 2013 06:51 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
Not anymore "Well known" than Cumberbatch is now. Sort of the point of the exercise.

Admiral Buzzkill February 16 2013 07:10 AM

Re: How 'bout this?
 
Much more well known, actually.

I remember hearing Vader speak for the first time and saying to myself "Damn, I think that's James Earl Jones."


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.