The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   SeaQuest DSV Teaser (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=203482)

dub February 14 2013 07:47 AM

SeaQuest DSV Teaser

You know how random, silly things get stuck in your head from your childhood? So I was a young teen when SeaQuest DSV first aired. And I remember the teaser promo that came on in the month(s) prior to the premiere. It was very simple. There was a father and son (possibly a mother too) on the beach. The son looks out at the ocean. The father sees him looking out and says something like, "What is it, son? What do you see out there?" Then there is a slow motion close-up of the kid's eyes with some ethereal music/sounds underneath. At the end there was probably some text on the screen that said "SeaQuest: coming this fall on NBC."

This was a very simple promo, but it got me so excited about the show as a teenager for some reason. I was always disappointed that they didn't use and expand on that clip from the teaser as part of the story when the show aired, like a flashback for Bridger or something. Am I alone? Does anybody else remember this promo? I tried to find it on youtube because there are often obscure commercials and promos there, but no luck. I'm sure it sounds ridiculous, but when you're a kid things sometimes seem more epic than they really are so that might be playing into it. Anyway, somehow I never forgot that promo.

J. Allen February 14 2013 09:48 AM

Re: SeaQuest DSV Teaser

Quote:

dub wrote: (Post 7682014)
You know how random, silly things get stuck in your head from your childhood? So I was a young teen when SeaQuest DSV first aired. And I remember the teaser promo that came on in the month(s) prior to the premiere. It was very simple. There was a father and son (possibly a mother too) on the beach. The son looks out at the ocean. The father sees him looking out and says something like, "What is it, son? What do you see out there?" Then there is a slow motion close-up of the kid's eyes with some ethereal music/sounds underneath. At the end there was probably some text on the screen that said "SeaQuest: coming this fall on NBC."

This was a very simple promo, but it got me so excited about the show as a teenager for some reason. I was always disappointed that they didn't use and expand on that clip from the teaser as part of the story when the show aired, like a flashback for Bridger or something. Am I alone? Does anybody else remember this promo? I tried to find it on youtube because there are often obscure commercials and promos there, but no luck. I'm sure it sounds ridiculous, but when you're a kid things sometimes seem more epic than they really are so that might be playing into it. Anyway, somehow I never forgot that promo.

There are a couple of SeaQuest promos that I remember:

And I watched the show religiously, but I don't remember that promo, sorry.

bigdaddy February 14 2013 08:05 PM

It's been 20 years, why do you remember that?

hyzmarca February 15 2013 01:04 AM

SeaQuest really should have been better than it was. It had everything going for it, great cast, solid premise, legions of squeeing teen girls, and yet somehow they screwed it up.

Captain_Amasov February 15 2013 02:34 AM

Is this the show where a bunch of horrible human beings hold a dolphin captive for three years, until he can successfully undermine the crew, causing their eventual downfall so he can finally escape ... I might be remembering this wrong.

Ar-Pharazon February 15 2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Captain_Amasov wrote: (Post 7685380)
Is this the show where a bunch of horrible human beings hold a dolphin captive for three years, until he can successfully undermine the crew, causing their eventual downfall so he can finally escape ... I might be remembering this wrong.

Now that would have had better ratings.

Sephiroth February 15 2013 04:40 AM

oh thank The Emperor this wasn't a news of a reboot thread

bigdaddy February 15 2013 06:43 AM

A reboot would work really well. But they would need to mix the science and keeping the peace with the threat of war. If done well, and with 13 episode seasons, it could be a nice 5 year show.

First year introduces the world, season year the threats increases has some attacks, season 3 a war break outs, same in season 4, then season 5 the seaquest is destroyed in order to have peace, and we see the aftermath of the war.

Gaith February 15 2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 7683793)
It's been 20 years, why do you remember that?

Robert Maxwell February 15 2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 7686154)
A reboot would work really well. But they would need to mix the science and keeping the peace with the threat of war. If done well, and with 13 episode seasons, it could be a nice 5 year show.

First year introduces the world, season year the threats increases has some attacks, season 3 a war break outs, same in season 4, then season 5 the seaquest is destroyed in order to have peace, and we see the aftermath of the war.

Five seasons of seaQuest 2032 would be fine with me. ;)

bigdaddy February 15 2013 05:21 PM

That's pretty much what I was going for, but have a little more science and background laid into the story besides...

Seaquest was on another planet and because of that the world fell apart. :lol:

bullethead February 15 2013 07:52 PM

seaQuest is a prefect example of what I'm gonna call "sub premise limitation": if your submarine based show is not about the sub being in a war or 20,000 Leagues on another planet, it will not only get cancelled, it will probably suck as well.

I wouldn't mind a reboot, but they have to come up with a plan ahead of time and make sure the action/science ratio is sorted out so the show is actually entertaining and not dull/stupid like a lot of S1 and S2 were.

dub February 15 2013 08:51 PM

I've watched the show again recently on Netflix. I liked most of season 1 and season 3. Two very different directions for the show. Two complete different shows, really. Most of season 2 was just so bad it was hard to sit through. I doubt they'd ever do a reboot, but if a show is produced similar to this I'd be happy with a balance of season 1 and 3. I could do without the wacky species of the week and the telepathy episodes though. They didn't work in this setting. The bad writing didn't help.

AviTrek February 15 2013 09:26 PM

Season 1 continues to be my favorite. Season 2 tried to force too much science fiction into a show that was supposed to be more realistic science. And season 3 was just a very different show.

Sephiroth February 15 2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 7686154)

b-but that's just Babylon 5