The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   :sigh: first 'apocalypse' of 2013 closing in. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=203335)

trekkiedane February 12 2013 11:56 PM

:sigh: first 'apocalypse' of 2013 closing in.

Yep, science and space geeks will know that the asteroid 2012 DA14 is coming -- and that it's on a very close trajectory...

Do you think it might contain alien biologicals that will mix with our atmosphere and make us into zombies?

I mean: I find the silence of the apocalypse-crowd a bit unnerving, shouldn't they be all... http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...unforhills.gif or building underground shelters by now?

Kidding aside -Looking forward to some amazing imagery from this close pass. :)

sojourner February 13 2013 12:47 AM

Re: :sigh: first 'apocalypse' of 2013 closing in.

Didn't you hear? the zombie apocalypse started yesterday in Greatfalls, Montana.

trekkiedane February 13 2013 12:54 AM

Nope, but just now I read a headline saying...

Quote:

Montana's zombie hoax likely linked to similar false alert in Michigan.
Whoever wrote that is apparently expecting a zombie alert that isn't a hoax :rolleyes: :rommie:

MacLeod February 13 2013 02:05 AM

Now Now, it's the period 2026-2069 we have to worry about as there is 0.033% chance it'll strike the Earth. Should we start stock piling stuff now? :p

RJDiogenes February 13 2013 10:53 AM

I was distracted by my own mini-Apocalypse over the weekend, but I am looking forward to the near miss. The pictures should be fascinating. I'm hoping for more of a Wild Cards-type outcome, though, rather than a Zombie Apocalypse.

Rhubarbodendron February 13 2013 11:04 AM

since today is 02/13/2013 we really should get an apocalypse. The date fits so nicely!

Ok, in lack of any other prophecies I herewith declare that today the apocalypse starts...

.... for any chocolate cookies that get into a 2 ft ( = armlength) distance of me!

and for adorable cupcakes like this one:

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net.../4730_700b.jpg

Sector 7 February 14 2013 06:10 AM

The Zombie Apocalypse has already been happening. In the US Congress, Republicans are walking around doing nothing. Personally, I think they are zombies.:devil:

sojourner February 14 2013 06:30 AM

Leith Jones February 14 2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

trekkiedane wrote: (Post 7675819)
Kidding aside -Looking forward to some amazing imagery from this close pass. :)

Unfortunately, it would seem that unless you are in Asia or Australia with a good pair of binoculars and you know exactly where to look, you won't see it in person. We'll have to settle for video. Bummer, eh?

Gary7 February 14 2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

RJDiogenes wrote: (Post 7677682)
I was distracted by my own mini-Apocalypse over the weekend, but I am looking forward to the near miss. The pictures should be fascinating. I'm hoping for more of a Wild Cards-type outcome, though, rather than a Zombie Apocalypse.

Well I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to it being a near hit! :rofl:

RJDiogenes February 14 2013 11:47 PM

:rommie:

Well, that wouldn't be very exciting.

Rhubarbodendron February 15 2013 11:06 AM

no chance here either. Neither for seeing anything nor for getting a near hit. It was cloudless at sunrise but now the fog is so dense that any any object slower than warp 5 would instantly get stuck. That's sooooo typical! Always when something interesting happens in the sky it's either rainy or foggy.

Robert Comsol February 15 2013 01:01 PM

UPDATE !!!

B.U.F.F. 2012 DA14
has caused over 400 injuries in the Ural region of Russia: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ty-chelyabinsk

:wtf: :eek: :wtf: :eek:

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS "PICTURE" ?!?!

Have our astronomers and astrophysicists been deaf and blind?
Have they been incapable of predicting a possible impact area?
Have they told the corresponding governments to take precautions against the possible impact?
Have our governments been withholding vital information from us?
DO THEY THINK WE ARE ALL STUPID AND START A MASS PANIC?!?

Now the Russian hospitals in this region (!) have over 400 injuries on their hand and all that could have been avoided, had somebody told their citizens to take the day off, stay inside their homes and keep away from the windows.

After the mess has happened, the parents of school kids are being told to pick up their kids from school - Where these shouldn't have gone this morning in the first place!

Apparently they all hoped the blast would occur over uninhabitated areas like in Tunguska. I have many, many questions and definitely want to see some of these answered!

Bob

BillJ February 15 2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Robert Comsol wrote: (Post 7686928)
UPDATE !!!

B.U.F.F. 2012 DA14
has caused over 400 injuries in the Ural region of Russia: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ty-chelyabinsk

:wtf: :eek: :wtf: :eek:

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS "PICTURE" ?!?!

Have our astronomers and astrophysicists been deaf and blind?
Have they been incapable of predicting a possible impact area?
Have they told the corresponding governments to take precautions against the possible impact?
Have our governments been withholding vital information from us?
DO THEY THINK WE ARE ALL STUPID AND START A MASS PANIC?!?

Now the Russian hospitals in this region (!) have over 400 injuries on their hand and all that could have been avoided, had somebody told their citizens to take the day off, stay inside their homes and keep away from the windows.

After the mess has happened, the parents of school kids are being told to pick up their kids from school - Where these shouldn't have gone this morning in the first place!

Apparently they all hoped the blast would occur over uninhabitated areas like in Tunguska. I have many, many questions and definitely want to see some of these answered!

Bob

Huh?

Morning news said it had nothing to do with the one passing us later on today. Or did I just misread your post?

Asbo Zaprudder February 15 2013 02:06 PM

Yep, coincidental but probably unrelated given the reported trajectory.