The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Enterprise (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Star Trek Enterprise: The most "likable" cast? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=203062)

Infern0 February 10 2013 01:22 PM

Star Trek Enterprise: The most "likable" cast?

In my opinion it is, nobody comes across as a jerk, nobody is offensive.

It might not be the most interesting, but certainly the most likable in my opinion.

BillJ February 10 2013 03:10 PM

Re: Star Trek Enterprise: The most "likable" cast?

Quote:

Infern0 wrote: (Post 7664710)
In my opinion it is, nobody comes across as a jerk, nobody is offensive.

Part of the problem with the series as a whole. You need the jerk characters just as much as you need the inoffensive types. Probably more so.

F. King Daniel February 10 2013 03:28 PM

Most likable and colourful cast was TOS, IMO. Aside from Phlox and T'Pol, nobody had anything distinguishable about them until the third season (except for poor Travis' - they seemingly gave up on him entirely after "Fortunate Son")

Saul February 10 2013 03:43 PM

I liked the cast. I thought they had more potential chemistry between them than was allowed in the writing. Malcolm and Trip's friendship could have been developed more as it provided a lot of comic relief. I didn't like that Reed became a tight arse in season 2 (not wanting to have dinner with the captain, not drinking etc). I liked Reed as the bit of a playboy brit that I thought the Pilot introduced him as.
Trip's character was lost to T'pol and most other characters got less interesting as the show became Trip/T'pol/Archer much like Voyager was Janeway/Seven/Doctor.
I know it's in the contracts that these character have more episodes but it can be tiring when the focus is on 3 main characters. I'd rather Reed, Trip and Archer as a Kirk, Bones, Spock type trio.

teacake February 11 2013 12:37 AM

Archer's jerk moments were pretty bad..

JirinPanthosa February 11 2013 02:47 AM

I thought Reed had some pretty bad 'Jerk' moments.

I dunno, there was certainly nothing dislikable about the cast, but likable? Most of the cast was pretty boring, Phlox could out-smug even Picard. Archer had kind of a sterile Sinclair vibe, and for a Vulcan, T'Pol sure made everything into her own personal drama. The marines who came aboard in season 3 were like O'Neal without the humor.

And Trip? Well, I like Trip.

RandyS February 11 2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 7666969)
Archer's jerk moments were pretty bad..

True, but even those were nothing compared to Trip's bigotry, which was displayed pretty much every time the idiot opened his mouth.

teacake February 11 2013 09:54 PM

Season One definitely had some rough moments :lol:

I get what they were trying to do, boy howdy we're in space! But they acted like this just magically happened to a bunch of cowboys and not that it was a product of generations of contact with the Vulcans.

MacLeod February 11 2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Saul wrote: (Post 7664944)
I'd rather Reed, Trip and Archer as a Kirk, Bones, Spock type trio.

Agreed, that might have worked better as the trio than Archer/Trip and T'Pol. Given that it was mostly all new to humans exploring that deep into space, the Reed Character could have been the one that stressed the more cautionary aspect, which might have been a good counterpoint to the more trsting nature of some of the others.

Bahz February 13 2013 02:36 AM

I thought Enterprise had jerks from the very first episode. In the beginning it was the Vulcans with their superior attitude and holding back the humans.

BillJ February 13 2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Bahz wrote: (Post 7676524)
In the beginning it was the Vulcans with their superior attitude and holding back the humans.

They were just respecting their own version of the Prime Directive.

Saul February 14 2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7677961)
Quote:

In the beginning it was the Vulcans with their superior attitude and holding back the humans.

Yes, they call it "being an asshole directive."

BillJ February 14 2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Saul wrote: (Post 7682818)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7677961)
Quote:

Yes, they call it "being an asshole directive."

The same one Picard and Company were practicing in the 24th century. :lol:

Merry Christmas February 16 2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 7670710)
But they acted like this just magically happened to a bunch of cowboys and not that it was a product of generations of contact with the Vulcans.

The impression I received was that it was achievement Humans obtained inspite of the Vulcans, and not because of our contact with them.

No matter how much the Vulcan held the Humans back, look at what we created.

:)

MarsWeeps February 16 2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Infern0 wrote: (Post 7664710)
In my opinion it is, nobody comes

I initially detested Phlox, simply because he reminded me too much of Neelix (I would've loved to see him killed off in Voyager by a giant rat trap.)

Hoshi was a little annoying at first because it seemed she whined a lot but she got better over time.