The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Best pure humor episodes (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=203023)

JirinPanthosa February 10 2013 02:40 AM

Best pure humor episodes

What episodes of Star Trek aren't trying to say something relevant about culture, aren't trying to be an exciting adventure, but are just trying to make you laugh? Which episodes are most successful at doing so?

My top five:
1. TNG - The Royale
2. DS9 - Our Man Bashir
3. DS9 - Trials and Tribbleations
4. DS9 - In The Cards
5. Voy - Bride of Chaotica
HM: TNG - QPid

Star Trek seems to be best at being funny when it's parodying itself, what do you think are the (intentionally) funniest episodes?

MacLeod February 10 2013 02:44 AM

Re: Best pure humor episodes

SR hasn't really down that many comedy episodes. Sure some episodes have comedy in them, but not really as heir primary device.

Greg Cox February 10 2013 03:27 AM

Also:

"The Trouble with Tribbles."

"A Piece of the Action."

"Little Green Men."

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

sonak February 10 2013 05:36 PM

"a piece of the action"
"deja q"
"in the cards"
"tinker tenor doctor spy"
"two days and two nights"(if that's what it's called)

CaptPapa February 10 2013 06:01 PM

Chronologically . . .

I, Mudd
The Trouble With Tribbles
A Piece Of The Action
The Voyage Home

:guffaw:

CorporalClegg February 10 2013 11:59 PM

"Threshold"

Oh. You mean intentionally. Well then I'd have to say TFF. What can I say? It makes me laugh. :shrug:

Tiberius February 11 2013 12:04 AM

The Magnificent Ferengi.

Greg Cox February 11 2013 12:05 AM

"The House of Quark" was fun, too.

Devo February 11 2013 12:25 AM

No one's mentioned "Who Mourns For Morn?". For shame!

CoveTom February 11 2013 01:16 AM

That's a tough criteria specified by the OP, because even when Star Trek is trying to do comedy, it's often trying to do something else as well. Probably the best known comedy Trek has ever done is The Voyage Home, yet it was clearly also trying to make social commentary and put forth a message.

Also, did TNG really have straight comedy episodes? TOS obviously did, with entries like "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "A Piece of the Action." DS9 had tons with episodes like "The Magnificient Ferengi," "Who Mourns for Morn," "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang," etc. And Voyager had ones like "Bride of Chaotica." But right off the top of my head, I'm having a hard time think of TNG episodes that were just comedies.

Greg Cox February 11 2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

CoveTom wrote: (Post 7667173)
Also, did TNG really have straight comedy episodes? TOS obviously did, with entries like "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "A Piece of the Action." DS9 had tons with episodes like "The Magnificient Ferengi," "Who Mourns for Morn," "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang," etc. And Voyager had ones like "Bride of Chaotica." But right off the top of my head, I'm having a hard time think of TNG episodes that were just comedies.

"Q-Pid," perhaps? That's pretty much of a lark, and maybe "A Fistful of Datas." Any episode in which Brent Spiner ends up in drag, playing a saloon girl, isn't exactly taking itself too seriously. :)

The Wormhole February 11 2013 02:12 AM

Deja Q and Q-Pid are TNG's only really legitimate comedies that work. Although Phantasms is really funny too, though that's mostly unintentional.

Dover February 11 2013 02:24 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Take Me Out to the Holosuite," but I'm a big baseball fan.

The Wormhole February 11 2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Dover wrote: (Post 7667437)
I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Take Me Out to the Holosuite," but I'm a big baseball fan.

You're right, that is pretty funny.

JirinPanthosa February 11 2013 03:04 AM

I'm not requiring the episode to be strictly intended as comedy, but I am requiring that it be intentionally funny. That is, not trying to be serious but unintentionally funny.

TNG episodes that are intended as comedy:
The Outrageous Okana
Up The Long Ladder
Deja Q
The Royale
QPid
Fistful of Datas
Data's Day
A Matter Of Time

A lot of their attempts at humor failed, of course, but I really like The Royale and QPid, and Data's Day and Matter of Time are good episodes.

Their attempts at humor are often better in episodes that aren't intended as humor, such as the ending of Menage a Troi.