The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Was altering Kurn's memory "Kahlessian"? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=202939)

indolover February 9 2013 04:01 AM

Was altering Kurn's memory "Kahlessian"?

As Jadzia and Worf decided to alter Kurn's memory, I've wondered if that's strictly adhering to Kahless's teachings.

Most likely it did, since I doubt Worf would go against them. But say Rodek joined the Klingon Defence Force as Lorg's son and died in the Dominion War. When he got to Stovokor, did Kahless address him as Kurn or Rodek? lol...

SimpleLogic February 9 2013 10:13 AM

Re: Was altering Kurn's memory "Kahlessian"?

That was the best episode to show that the Federation (Sisko, and Dax specifically) weren't very tolerant of Worf's beliefs even if they were a bit barbaric. And didn't Riker or Picard give Ro some crap about her earring, which is a part of her culture and religious upbringing. I wish they would have ended the episode with Worf fulfilling his brothers real wishes not some "lets all hold hands and be happy cause he's not dead fix-it" solution.

In terms of the Klingon's actual belief system I think it was a cheat since a tradition so old probably didn't ever account for technology able to wipe memories, so perhaps it is a grey area.

Captain Nebula February 9 2013 11:38 AM

Worf did it to Kurn by turning down Gowron, right? Worf's responsible for making it better then. I don't think you ever hear Worf mention Sto-vo-kor - does he really believe?

Timo February 9 2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

In terms of the Klingon's actual belief system I think it was a cheat since a tradition so old probably didn't ever account for technology able to wipe memories, so perhaps it is a grey area.
The idea of a young man being dishonored or disowned by his family and then walking his own path under a new identity is ages-old, though. One would think that Klingon tradition would cater for all the obvious three alternatives: heroically clearing the honor of the family by performing great deeds (such as slaying one's family), heroically turning one's back on the dishonorable family and starting one's own, and heroically dying because living under dishonor would be an insult to the ancestors / a burden to the Empire / whatnot.

Worf would just be applying modern technology to combine the last two solutions into one...

Timo Saloniemi

JirinPanthosa February 10 2013 12:11 AM

I don't think not allowing Worf to kill Kurn was a disrespect to his religious beliefs, or the earring thing was a disrespect to Ro's. Both Worf and Ro made a decision to join the Federation and adopt its rules.

Just like, if you're raised in a culture that considers women to be inferiors, and you move to a country where men and women are considered equals, it is not a disrespect to your beliefs to give you a female supervisor at your job.

I think the ending to that particular episode was a little silly, and I think he would be addressed as a member of his current house, just as Worf is now considered a member of the House of Martok.

Anwar February 10 2013 12:57 AM

The truly baffling thing was that Worf got his honor back a year later, yet he never stops to think about his brother and how he basically destroyed his memories for nothing since he got everything back for them eventually.

Dream February 10 2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Anwar wrote: (Post 7662847)
The truly baffling thing was that Worf got his honor back a year later, yet he never stops to think about his brother and how he basically destroyed his memories for nothing since he got everything back for them eventually.

Reminds me of the possible death in "Change of Heart" for Jadzia, which would have been a great dramatic ending for the character. Instead they held off on her death and gave her that lame sendoff being killed by Dukat with CGI powers a few episodes later.:scream:

Mr. Laser Beam February 10 2013 01:31 AM

If Worf was allowed (albeit reprimanded) to kill Duras, then why would he not be allowed to deal with Kurn as he saw fit?

Was it because Worf killed Duras on board a Klingon ship, and this thing with Kurn was on DS9?

JirinPanthosa February 10 2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 7662967)
If Worf was allowed (albeit reprimanded) to kill Duras, then why would he not be allowed to deal with Kurn as he saw fit?

Was it because Worf killed Duras on board a Klingon ship, and this thing with Kurn was on DS9?

Worf was not allowed to kill Duras. Worf killed Duras, and then Picard chose to only discipline him by giving him a stern speech about being a Starfleet officer. Legally, though, the reason it wasn't prosecuted as murder was that it happened in klingon jurisdiciton.

Similarly if Worf had taken shore leave and killed Duras on a Klingon planet it also would not have been prosecutable by the Federation.

Mr. Laser Beam February 10 2013 01:57 AM

So why didn't Worf and Kurn choose to retire to neutral territory before carrying this out? Bajor, for example. It was not yet a Federation world, so if Worf had killed Kurn there, there'd be nothing the Federation could do about it.

Anwar February 10 2013 02:06 AM

Because the plot wouldn't work.

Mr. Laser Beam February 10 2013 02:11 AM

Only excuse I can think of is that Worf was always hoping he could talk Kurn out of it.

Timo February 10 2013 09:15 PM

I don't see what the Federation could have done about the thing on DS9, either - had Dax not found out in time. Once Worf kills Kurn, it's the same setup as in "Reunion": Worf commits murder, and Starfleet then has to cope with a done deal and find technicalities to avoid having to prosecute him.

Worf doesn't care about the law, but his superiors care about Worf. Beyond that, it's down to the personalities of the COs in question, and both use strong words of disapproval but neither appears willing to go beyond that.

Timo Saloniemi

T'Girl February 11 2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

SimpleLogic wrote: (Post 7660105)
And didn't Riker or Picard give Ro some crap about her earring, which is a part of her culture and religious upbringing.

It was Riker. And I think it was a case of Riker not really knowing what the ear piece meant, he thought it was simply a piece of Jewelry and not a religious symbol. When Ro put it back on in front of the more knowledgeable Picard, he didn't have a problem with it. There was a Bajorian with the ear piece in First Contact. And there was a Hindu in TOS with a bindi.

Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 7663066)
... the reason it wasn't prosecuted as murder was ...

It wasn't murder, it was a mutually consented to duel to the death. Conducted in a territory where such was authorized and legal. Definitely not murder.

:)

Anwar February 11 2013 05:12 AM

Riker was just being a jerk to Ro, that was it. It had nothing to do with violating Starfleet regulations or anything.