The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Patrick Stewart, Leonard Nimoy on NRA Enemy List (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=202510)

JarodRussell February 5 2013 01:23 AM

Patrick Stewart, Leonard Nimoy on NRA Enemy List

http://nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=15

That's just disturbing. It's one of those things they did back in good old Germany to terrorize political opponents.

They could as well be saying "Don't buy from these...", "Don't watch films made by these...", and there you go.

sidious618 February 5 2013 02:53 AM

Re: Patrick Stewart, Leonard Nimoy on NRA Enemy List

The fact that an organization obsessed with guns has an enemy list worries me.

Melakon February 5 2013 03:16 AM

Judging from the lists, the NRA hates elderly people.

Well, they're probably rejoicing now that Ed Koch is dead.

Captrek February 5 2013 04:34 AM

The real Big Bads: American Academy of Pediatrics, American Medical Association, American Trauma Society, National Association of School Psychologists, National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, National Education Association, and National Safe Kids Campaign all make the list repeatedly.

It’s fortunate for the NRA that most of their “enemies” aren’t likely to respond in kind. Imagine organizations like the National Council of Churches, United Methodist Church and AARP targeting the NRA as enemies. Considering the length of the list, I would guess the majority of NRA members are also members of an NRA enemy.

Maestro February 5 2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

sidious618 wrote: (Post 7640329)
The fact that an organization obsessed with guns has an enemy list worries me.

Doesn't surprise me, though.

Robert D. Robot February 5 2013 04:51 AM

It would have been a more efficient use of space to simply list the personalities and organizations that support the policies of the NRA....

Gary7 February 5 2013 05:06 AM

I can understand them keeping a list of organizations that actively work against their goals... but putting together a list of specific celebrities who are also deemed "anti-gun" is unnerving. It's like they're encouraging their gun fanatics to keep aware so they can harass these people whenever possible. That's just wrong.

Maestro February 5 2013 05:14 AM

I wish to be added to that list.

Nerys Myk February 5 2013 05:21 AM

Not only Picard and Spock, but Rambo, Bond and MacGyver!!!!!

bigdaddy February 5 2013 05:28 AM

Do people who don't hate black people care about what the NRA has to say?

sidious618 February 5 2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Maestro wrote: (Post 7640821)
I wish to be added to that list.

Me, too. I've always said that a lifelong goal of mine is to be bashed on FOX News or talk radio.

OmahaStar February 5 2013 05:48 AM

They have a hate-on for Sandy Duncan? Seriously? I mean sure, some of them I can understand. Bob Barker will cut a bitch. And Ellen has Teh Ghay. But Sandy Duncan?

Also Nora Ephron died several months before that list was posted. So, just how accurate are the other names on the list?

I did find it humorous, seeing their legalese down at the bottom, that the "ILA" is the lobbying arm of the NRA. I mean, the NRA is nothing but a lobbying group, so ... why separate it out? Maybe those are the really extreme nutjobs ... The ones who have it out for Richard Dean Anderson and Beau Bridges.

Squiggy February 5 2013 06:02 AM

Well, given how the NRA blamed Sandy Hook on Mortal Kombat, I would imagine their list is as up-to-date as their talking points.

Melakon February 5 2013 07:09 AM

Well, I see AARP on there, but I never joined them (they sent an invitation at 50). And I had a shotgun for a few years, but never joined NRA. Not sure if I'm friend or foe.

Captrek February 5 2013 08:06 AM

I'm wondering what the true agenda of these people really is.

As a political tactic, the "enemies list" is unconventional, to say the least. Ordinarily, those seeking to advance a political cause or candidate advertise endorsements for themselves, not their opponents. This huge list of celebrities and organizations that endorse sensible gun control should be an effective ad for such policies.

Similarly, Wayne LaPierre's high-profile testimony that they want to arm themselves in order to fight against law enforcement and the American government almost seems calculated to scare the hell out of mainstream Americans rather than win them over, especially coming right on the heels of Alex Jones' rant on Piers Morgan.

Such tactics suggest that legislative success is not their true goal. Maybe their goal is to make gun lovers feel outnumbered and cornered so they'll throw more money at the NRA. Or maybe they're just insane.