The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   anyone here have a cinema degree? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=202399)

MadaBidyoni February 4 2013 12:31 AM

anyone here have a cinema degree?

Hi
someone here learned from giannetti's book "understanding movies"?
putting his citizen kane chapter aside, do you have a film that could demonstrate all the terms from the book? (preferably "the godfather" and/or "annie hall". preferably if you could demonstrate all the terms in 1-2 sequences from the films).
that could help a lot
thanks

Foxhot February 4 2013 02:45 AM

Re: anyone here have a cinema degree?

This is a book I'm 95 percent certain I read in college.......26 years ago. If it's the book I think it is, it had----and may still have-----a section on TOUCH OF EVIL. I majored in English and minored in RTVF. While I learned a hell of a lot from my film courses, I won't pretend to remember all of Giamatti's terms in his book. But I'll bet he mentioned mise-en-scene as well as assorted approaches to film shooting, narrative and techniques involved for specific classic films. If you want to list some of the terms your edition has, I could most likely apply them to THE GODFATHER......

......though it's worth noting other films, whether drama or escapism, can probably be adapted to Giamatti's terms.

MadaBidyoni February 4 2013 05:56 PM

he has examples there... but from a lot of films
i need a film, or better - a scene from a film that include all or most of the terms :)

Professor Zoom February 4 2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

MadaBidyoni wrote: (Post 7638010)
i need a film, or better - a scene from a film that include all or most of the terms :)

Are you asking people to do your homework? ;)

od0_ital February 4 2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Professor Zoom wrote: (Post 7639063)
Quote:

MadaBidyoni wrote: (Post 7638010)

Are you asking people to do your homework? ;)

Sounds like it...

:lol:

Foxhot February 4 2013 11:21 PM

Can the terms be listed here? Then the definitions could possibly come back to us.

Gaith February 4 2013 11:47 PM

anyone here have a cinema degree?

No, but I am widely acknowledged to be one of the Internet's leading experts on film. What is your specific question, fellow traveler? :)

Foxhot February 5 2013 02:11 AM

As am me. I. Whatever. I know where the longest sustained scream in film history is, plus other uselessly good stuff.:cool:

MadaBidyoni February 5 2013 02:32 AM

here are all the terms
http://www.slideshare.net/lvterry/understanding-movies
it's not problem to find specific examples for each term, but i need as much terms the i can find, in one scene/shot... & that is the problem.

Kirkman1987 February 5 2013 08:58 AM

I didn't get a film degree but took several film classes. I've read that book and written a similar paper. I'm a John Ford Fanatic, so I wrote mine based around Stagecoach. It's been a long time though, I can't really remember the details.

propita February 5 2013 07:24 PM

I have "Film as Literature" and "Shakespeare in Film." I wrote about Casablanca, A Midsummer Night's Dream (Kevin Klein version), and Sunset Boulevard. Now, Sunset Boulevard can provide a lot of fodder for an essay, though maybe less regarding photography than other films.

lurok February 5 2013 09:42 PM

I've seen a lot of movies. Does that count?

Nerys Myk February 8 2013 03:33 AM

I have an art degree. Close enough?

Gary Mitchell February 8 2013 05:05 AM

I still haven't seen The Godfather. I should get around to seeing it someday. I did do some research on the cinema of Chuck Norris. That man doesn't get enough credit.

Foxhot February 8 2013 07:58 PM

I agree totally. I only had to see MISSING IN ACTION II: THE BEGINNING once. When he said ''Back off, mister,'' they should've given him 1985's Best Actor award then and there.