The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Warm Bodies film discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=202159)

Dream February 1 2013 09:29 AM

Warm Bodies film discussion
 
From the studio that brought us P2, Penelope, Sex Drive, Step Up Revolution, Letters to Juliet, and Twilight comes the latest movie about zombies. So far early reviews seem decentish.

Gaith February 1 2013 10:45 PM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 7623079)
So far early reviews seem decentish.

Reminds me of an old review of Ebert's:

When people told me they'd seen "My Beautiful Laundrette" and it was a good movie, I had a tendency to believe them, for who would dare to make a bad movie with such an uncommercial title?

Similarly, how could a movie with a concept this obnoxious possibly get made unless there was a relatively solid script? And good scripts are the best predictor of good movies.

Still, I doubt even rapturous reviews could get me to watch a zombie/human love story. I'm all, "no... just no." :p

JD February 1 2013 10:48 PM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
^It's actually based on a popular book, so that was why it got made. It's one that I've been curious about for a while, but there are a lot of movies I want to see more, so I'm gonna wait for it to come to Netflix. Why didn't you do a review poll? Are we going to be getting a seperate review thread?

davejames February 1 2013 11:48 PM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
I was extremely skeptical of the idea at first too, but the book was so witty and well-written that it won me over anyway.

And the slightly different zombie mythology the writer came up with is actually pretty cool and inspired.

Really looking forward to the movie.

BillJ February 2 2013 09:35 PM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
Saw it today and it was entertaining, though I doubt I'll ever have any desire to see it again. My wife loved it.

auntiehill February 3 2013 12:59 AM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
I was hoping to see it this weekend, but I'll be stuck at home waiting for the cable guy to show up whenever he freaking feels like it.

The clips look fairly clever. I might go catch a matinee this coming week.

od0_ital February 3 2013 01:17 AM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
I watched it yesterday after work, and it was alright. It wasn't great, but enjoyable.

And Rob Corddry had the best funny bit in the whole thing. So glad it wasn't in the trailer like every other damn thing from the movie...

Mr. Laser Beam February 3 2013 01:37 AM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
I always wondered what a zombie movie would be like in which...



Looks pretty cool!

Dream February 3 2013 03:30 AM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
I thought it was good.

I wouldn't really call it a horror movie. It was more of a romantic comedy. It was obviously inspired by Romeo and Juliet, with two characters from two different groups meeting up and finding out the other side isn't that bad. The bonies were cool baddies.

It was pretty funny at times and there was a nice ending.

Bisz February 4 2013 01:30 AM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
I'm not a fan of zombie movies, but I do enjoy comedies, and I enjoyed Warm Bodies quite a bit. Maybe about as much as Shawn of the Dead but a bit less than Zombieland.

shivkala February 4 2013 02:26 AM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 7630972)
I thought it was good.

I wouldn't really call it a horror movie. It was more of a romantic comedy. It was obviously inspired by Romeo and Juliet, with two characters from two different groups meeting up and finding out the other side isn't that bad. The bonies were cool baddies.

It was pretty funny at times and there was a nice ending.



I was drafted into taking my daughter and her friends to celebrate her 13th birthday. It was pretty clear that she was the demographic, but I enjoyed it, a lot. I found myself laughing and really engaged in what was going on.

I saw a post on Facebook "boycotting" what they called the "pussification of horror movies" and trying to link this to Twilight. I don't see this in any way, shape, or form presenting a threat to horror movies. It's not a horror movie, it's really not billed as one, and judging by the preview for [i]The Last Exorcism Part II," I don't think horror movies have anything to fear (pun, intended).

My main problem with it was, what, in my opinion was a plot hole you could drive through

JD February 4 2013 06:49 AM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
Quote:

shivkala wrote: (Post 7635313)
...
I saw a post on Facebook "boycotting" what they called the "pussification of horror movies" and trying to link this to Twilight. I don't see this in any way, shape, or form presenting a threat to horror movies. It's not a horror movie, it's really not billed as one, and judging by the preview for [i]The Last Exorcism Part II," I don't think horror movies have anything to fear (pun, intended).
...

I'm sorry, but that's stupid. The Twilight movies aren't even meant to be "horror" movies. Just because something has monsters in it doesn't mean it's a horror movie, just like something having cops in it doesn't make it a "cop movie". There are enough of real horror movies coming out that I don't see how stuff like this is any kind of threat.

Gotham Central February 4 2013 01:30 PM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
Quote:

JD wrote: (Post 7636357)
Quote:

shivkala wrote: (Post 7635313)
...
I saw a post on Facebook "boycotting" what they called the "pussification of horror movies" and trying to link this to Twilight. I don't see this in any way, shape, or form presenting a threat to horror movies. It's not a horror movie, it's really not billed as one, and judging by the preview for [i]The Last Exorcism Part II," I don't think horror movies have anything to fear (pun, intended).
...

I'm sorry, but that's stupid. The Twilight movies aren't even meant to be "horror" movies. Just because something has monsters in it doesn't mean it's a horror movie, just like something having cops in it doesn't make it a "cop movie". There are enough of real horror movies coming out that I don't see how stuff like this is any kind of threat.

While horror movies are not in danger, there is something to the idea of destroying the viability of an entire range of monsters as antagonists in films that men might actually watch. Think about it...vampires used to be scary and used to be in films that men would go see. Now they have been largely neutered and shoved off into "chick flicks." The same is happening with witches, werewolves etc. Now all of these characters only appear in romantic films or in comedies where they are ruthlessly mocked. The fear factor is largely gone.

Zombies are unique in that they typically defy attempts to make them objects of sympathy and romance. After all, at a basic level, a "sexy" sentient zombie is essentially a vampire...so just stick to vampires.

I figure that the reason that Supernatural works so well is because they use monsters that don't typically appear in these silly horror romance films and because when the traditional monster do appear...Sam and Dean just make fun of them.

davejames February 4 2013 09:02 PM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
I thought it was pretty good, although there was something much more soulful and poetic about R's narration (and the author's writing) in the book, which really elevated the story and which I kinda missed here.

The movie played everything more for laughs, and reduced R's observations more to the "Jeez, we move really slow" variety. And the toned down PG-13 violence was a bit annoying as well.

Still though, I thought it was a pretty fun time, and a nice change of pace from the usual zombie movie.

Bob The Skutter February 9 2013 05:56 PM

Re: Warm Bodies film discussion
 
Just got back from the cinema and I have to say I enjoyed it. Different kind of Zombie tale.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.