The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=202156)

Dream February 1 2013 09:07 AM

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
Quote:

According to THR, plans for "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" sequel are still in place, even though director David Fincher is circling an adaptation of "Gone Girl" and star Daniel Craig may have priced himself out of appearing.

That bit of news is most shocking: Craig, who starred as journalist Mikael Blomkvist in "Dragon Tattoo," wants a raise for the sequel after his box-office performance as James Bond in "Skyfall." Per THR, Sony isn't willing to give him a big bump. (Sony also released "Skyfall.") Should negotiations go south, the idea is that Blomkvist could be written out of the sequel, leaving Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander to star.

Despite some putting "Dragon Tattoo" in the loss column, Sony has held firm on its plans to continue the trilogy. “[Dragon Tattoo] continues to do strong business and nothing has changed with respect to development of the next book,” Sony told EW last year.

Whether Fincher returns, however, is up for debate.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2590829.html

So blame Skyfall's huge success if we never see the US's take on the Dragon sequel or we get something very different from the books. Let's see if Sony calls Craig's bluff.

Captaindemotion February 1 2013 04:37 PM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
You'd think that Craig's salary etc for the trilogy would have been worked out when they signed the deal for the first one, wouldn't you?

Craig and his agents should be wary of reading too much into the success of Skyfall, IMHO. I think the real star of that movie was James Bond, not Daniel Craig. There is no doubt that Craig is an excellent Bond and that Eon should pay him huge sums of money to remain in the role. However, the fact remains that outside of 007, he is not really a massive box-office draw. The Golden Compass, The Invasion (the Body Snatchers remake, Cowboys and Aliens, even Dragon Tattoo - underperfomers all.

I' not convinced that his presence will benefit the sequel all that much and he could just end up pricing himself out of roles at this rate.

ITHell February 1 2013 04:45 PM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
Even though I thought he did a fine job in Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I don't think the next one would be diminished by his absence. After all, Rooney Mara was the star of the show. She played a blinder as Lisbeth.

Professor Zoom February 1 2013 04:46 PM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
Meh. I thought the first one wasn't all that great... The trailer was more exciting, more edgy than the movie turned out to be.

In other words, if they don't make it... no great loss. The Swedish movies are pretty good.

Gaith February 1 2013 07:22 PM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
Quote:

Captaindemotion wrote: (Post 7623994)
You'd think that Craig's salary etc for the trilogy would have been worked out when they signed the deal for the first one, wouldn't you?

I'm sure they tried, but, given his apparently deep ambivalence about staying on as Bond (at least before most of the world wetted itself over Skyfall), the logical conclusion from this news is that he refused to lock himself in for such a contract.


Quote:

Captaindemotion wrote: (Post 7623994)
I' not convinced that his presence will benefit the sequel all that much and he could just end up pricing himself out of roles at this rate.

What horror, to be married to Rachel Weisz and have the freedom to only take (non-007) roles he wholeheartedly wants! :p

JarodRussell February 1 2013 08:13 PM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
Never thought of Craig as the money grabber.

Death February 2 2013 07:30 AM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
Roony Mara was interviewed/asked about this and she emphatically denied there was any truth to the story. She said she has talked with both Craig and Fincher and there is no problems and all three are looking forward to the next movie in the trilogy.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/170...ney-mara.jhtml

bigdaddy February 2 2013 07:42 AM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
I think the fact people actually think the sequels will be made at all is too funny.

The movies will never see the light of day. And friends who have read the books say its a good thing, that the squels are just boring.

I Am The Walrus February 2 2013 08:35 AM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 7627507)
I think the fact people actually think the sequels will be made at all is too funny.

The movies will never see the light of day. And friends who have read the books say its a good thing, that the squels are just boring.

i wouldn't say they're boring...just not as good.

Dream February 2 2013 08:57 AM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
Quote:

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: (Post 7627609)
Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 7627507)
I think the fact people actually think the sequels will be made at all is too funny.

The movies will never see the light of day. And friends who have read the books say its a good thing, that the squels are just boring.

i wouldn't say they're boring...just not as good.

There is always the Swedish trilogy which was completed if an English trilogy is never filmed...

Also here is a pretty funny review which compares this series to the Star Wars OT.

http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_...dentifier=2112

:lol:

Emher February 2 2013 10:37 AM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
What this should say is "Craig's agent wants more money".

George Steinbrenner February 3 2013 05:08 AM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
They couldn't just recast Blomkvist if Craig bolts?

Mike Farley February 4 2013 09:57 PM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
^^ Exactly. I like Daniel Craig, but the role isn't exactly an iconic-no-one-else-can-replace-him part. Re-cast. Move on.

I imagine EON isn't thinking about wrapping up the Bond movies when Craig moves on.

doubleohfive February 5 2013 01:21 AM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 7624813)
Never thought of Craig as the money grabber.

I don't know that I blame him for trying to get more money out of Sony. Whether or not he himself (the actor) was responsible for (in large or small part) the massive success Skyfall has been financially, I don't know that I disagree that he shouldn't be given a bigger slice of the pie.

Certainly, this is how actors become successful - their name becomes a 'brand' and that 'brand' insures (or ideally hopes to insure) future box office success.

Do you honestly think an adaptation of "The Girl Who Played With Fire" would be more successful without Craig's involvement as opposed to an adaptation with him in the thing?

There is, of course, no way to really know... but he's in a perfect position to ask for that pay raise and given how much business he's been able to help Sony do over the years, I don't think we can easily qualify it as "money grabbing."

Quote:

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: (Post 7627609)
Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 7627507)
I think the fact people actually think the sequels will be made at all is too funny.

The movies will never see the light of day. And friends who have read the books say its a good thing, that the sequels are just boring.

i wouldn't say they're boring...just not as good.

I disagree. I read both "The Girl Who Played With Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" this summer and couldn't put them down. I liked "Dragon Tattoo" immensely, but the sequels are just ripe for (American) cinematic adaptation.

In a perfect world, Fincher and Craig would just do the two sequels and we'd have, I hope, a fantastic trilogy.

Its all moot right now anyway. If any of you bothered to read the article and follow the link to the Hollywood Reporter article, you'd have seen this bit:

Quote:

The studio has options on Craig for two sequels, but the actor is said to want a pay raise, not a cut, in the wake of Skyfall grossing $1 billion worldwide. If Sony can't bring Craig back to reprise his role as journalist Mikael Blomkvist, the sources say the studio could write the character out of the sequel. (A Craig source says negotiations have yet to commence but the actor wants to return to the role.)
So there's hope yet that Craig will forgo his pay raise and still appear, and that perhaps this is just the first stage of his trying to negotiate a better deal with Sony.

Dream February 5 2013 01:25 AM

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig
 
It's kind of funny how the low budget Swedish film adaptations of these books pretty much had zero problems being made compared to the big budget Hollywood versions.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.