The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Columbia House Next Generation VHS series (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=201895)

miketrek January 29 2013 06:14 PM

Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
Hi --
I am new to your site. I have about 82 VHS tapes from Columbia House Next Generation and am wondering in there is any interest or value to these tapes. Some are still sealed.

R. Star January 29 2013 06:25 PM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
Quote:

miketrek wrote: (Post 7610182)
Hi --
I am new to your site. I have about 82 VHS tapes from Columbia House Next Generation and am wondering in there is any interest or value to these tapes. Some are still sealed.

Welcome to the site. One of the house rules around here is no soliciting. That is a quick way to get a thread locked and get your account penalized.

If you're looking to unload them, honestly ebay would probably be your best bet. Though I'm not sure how much interest you'd get. Even the old DVD's are becoming obsolete with the BlueRays coming out. Either way, this site isn't the place to conduct your business. I do hope you'll stick around and participate in the various Trek discussions though! :)

Mott the barber January 29 2013 06:53 PM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7610260)
Quote:

miketrek wrote: (Post 7610182)
Hi --
I am new to your site. I have about 82 VHS tapes from Columbia House Next Generation and am wondering in there is any interest or value to these tapes. Some are still sealed.

Welcome to the site. One of the house rules around here is no soliciting. That is a quick way to get a thread locked and get your account penalized.

If you're looking to unload them, honestly ebay would probably be your best bet. Though I'm not sure how much interest you'd get. Even the old DVD's are becoming obsolete with the BlueRays coming out. Either way, this site isn't the place to conduct your business. I do hope you'll stick around and participate in the various Trek discussions though! :)

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't get the impression the OP was trying to solicit here. I think he was just asking if they are rare items (still wrapped, etc.).

Mutai Sho-Rin January 29 2013 08:07 PM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
[Moderator voice] The inquiry is OK but an attempt to sell them on the board would not be. [/Moderator voice] Like R. Star said, Ebay would probably be your best bet but I doubt if they have much value today.

Worf'sParmach January 29 2013 08:42 PM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
Yeah, between the DVDs, BluRay and Netflix, I doubt there's much of a market. Sorry.

R. Star January 29 2013 11:39 PM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
Just seemed to me to be borderline so figured I'd mention it. I apologize if I came off as overbearing or anything. I did offer a suggesting to the initial query regardless that I hope was well received.

I don't even own a VHS anymore for example. Though as much as I'm a holdout with my huge DVD collection not to upgrade to BluRay, maybe there's still someone out there doing it with VHS. Ebay's usually the first place I'll look for an obscure or older item I might want.

Melakon January 29 2013 11:46 PM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
I didn't switch to DVD until around 2010, when I got a computer that could play them properly. But I haven't touched the VCR in over a year, though I have over 200 tapes, including the Paramount ones from the 80s and 90s.

Trekker4747 January 30 2013 12:53 AM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
I honestly wouldn't say the tapes hold any value whatsoever. I'm not even sure eBay would be a valid route since between the reserve and shipping costs it'll hardly be worth the time and trouble.

Best option is likely just putting them in a box in a garage or attic or simply throwing them away.

Melakon January 30 2013 01:23 AM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
Or have a garage/yard sale. Second hand store might even turn them down. Or, donate to Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.

Mutai Sho-Rin January 30 2013 02:47 AM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7612261)
Just seemed to me to be borderline so figured I'd mention it. I apologize if I came off as overbearing or anything. I did offer a suggesting to the initial query regardless that I hope was well received.

I don't even own a VHS anymore for example. Though as much as I'm a holdout with my huge DVD collection not to upgrade to BluRay, maybe there's still someone out there doing it with VHS. Ebay's usually the first place I'll look for an obscure or older item I might want.

Absolutely no problem. You came across in an advisory mode to me. If you'd scolded him, it might have been different.

miketrek January 30 2013 05:37 AM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
Thanks for the advice and appreciate the comments on site rules. No Problem. Don't know unless you ask and folks give you candid answers.

Melakon January 30 2013 06:05 AM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
Quote:

miketrek wrote: (Post 7613716)
Don't know unless you ask and folks give you candid answers.

Or read the FAQ first. ;)

Worf'sParmach January 30 2013 04:29 PM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
Back in my unable to get a date High School days, I taped all 178 episodes of TNG from the syndicated reruns along with the first run of DS9 seasons 3-7. My mom recently found the box of tapes in her house and asked me if I wanted them. Broke my heart to tell her to throw them away.

heavy lids January 30 2013 05:21 PM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
I love those old VHS tapes, but I don't think you would get much for them. I keep mine as collectors items. I would recommend doing the same.

R. Star January 30 2013 08:50 PM

Re: Columbia House Next Generation VHS series
 
Yeah, maybe in another 20 years they'll be valuable antiques? :p


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.