The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Last Resort Series Finale Discussion *Spoilers Possible* (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=201490)

Romulan_spy January 25 2013 04:16 PM

Last Resort Series Finale Discussion *Spoilers Possible*

Anyone see the series finale for Last Resort? What did you think?

I was glad that they were able to wrap up the story considering the series was cut short. To me, it was the perfect ending. I got teary eyed at the end.

Roshi's bone January 25 2013 04:28 PM

Re: Last Resort Series Finale Discussion *Spoilers Possible*

The President's assassination was badly shot/thought but overall everything was nicely wrapped. And for a brief moment I had the feeling Scott Speedman could act.

BigFoot January 25 2013 07:08 PM

It was far from a perfect series, but I loved the finale.
And yeah, Speedman was very good.

antichristhill January 25 2013 08:49 PM

I thought it was too rushed in some areas, while others too drawn out. They crammed far too much into that last hour, but at least they did wrap up the series. That's more than most cancelled shows get to do.

ThunderAeroI January 25 2013 08:52 PM

I thought it was crap. I know it was suppose to be a season ending but really it was bad. The series was bad and why my wife liked it I have no idea.

It could have been awesome, I think I was very put off by the story and how stupid it was. I missed too many episodes, can someone tell me why 'we' nuked Pakistan anyway and what that plot point was cause it wasn't referenced in the ending.

antichristhill January 25 2013 09:38 PM

Yeah, I have to agree. I thought it started out strong but quickly went to hell. Characters changed in an instant without any clear motivation. Actions and reactions made no sense in light of previous behaviors or statements. The writing was terribly inconsistent.

If this had been a mini-series, it might have been pretty good and might have had good ratings. But dragging it out into a series was a huge mistake.

Romulan_spy January 25 2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

ThunderAeroI wrote: (Post 7590745)
I missed too many episodes, can someone tell me why 'we' nuked Pakistan anyway and what that plot point was cause it wasn't referenced in the ending.

It was referenced a couple eps back. Basically the Prez was a nutcase who gave the Spec Ops guys that the Colorado picked up an illegal order to assassinate the UN nuke inspector and plant suitcase nukes in Pakistan so that he could start a war. This was the basis for the coup against the President.

Enterprise is Great January 25 2013 10:04 PM

IIRC in the pilot there was a newscast talking about impeachment. The President was wagging the dog to avoid impeachment.

bigdaddy January 26 2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Mutenroshi wrote: (Post 7589449)
The President's assassination was badly shot/thought but overall everything was nicely wrapped. And for a brief moment I had the feeling Scott Speedman could act.

I haven't seen the episode since the Chinese took over a boat with the sailors' families on it. That was the last straw for stupid. The black guy running the island should have been killed about 100 times over. Then I saw he was still alive helping the Chinese last night and just rolled my eyes.

But the last scene with the woman shooting the president a few weeks after a coup?!!? That is just stupid. No way would have have even come close to happening. This show is a fantasy, but that just took me too much back.

It seems they had more than enough time to "tweak" the ending because what was a plan for a second season? Plan? :lol: Right they had no plan.

This would have made an amazing 13 episode miniseries, instead of the great 2-4 episodes we got with too much bullshit thrown at us for no reason.

Enterprise is Great January 26 2013 01:06 AM

Eh, it's really hard to give a proper sensical ending on such a short notice. I wonder what the original ending for the episode was before they tweaked it into a series finale.

Beagleman January 26 2013 01:41 AM

I quite liked it, one of the better episodes (not saying much)... and I'm glad I've one less our to waste every week...

Trek4Ever January 26 2013 03:41 AM

Being that the show was cancelled before they could really flesh out the stories and yeah some of it was rushed but they did the best they could and for the most part it worked.

I found myself really rooting for the captain and was saddened by his ultimate fate but at least they got resolutions on the most important arcs.

Hopefully this will come out on Blu-ray/DVD cause it's one of the most unique network shows of recent history compared to all the crime procedurals and soapy stuff.

Brolan January 26 2013 03:42 AM

All in all the writers on this show were horrible. They had no clue what to do with the crew once they got to the island. The show slowly turned from a military/political thriller to soap opera dreck. It's good it was cancelled.

Mr. Adventure January 26 2013 03:57 AM

I think the ending was decent enough for what the series was (I wasn't expecting it to elevate to some new level). If nothing else, it wrapped the major fates up including the ship/situation and there was some tension and action.

C.E. Evans January 26 2013 06:49 AM

IMO, Last Resort should have just been a 4-hour miniseries. The more the situation dragged out, the worse it became.