The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Arnold Schwarzenegger Confirmed for ‘Terminator 5′ (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=201226)

Candlelight January 23 2013 09:12 AM

Arnold Schwarzenegger Confirmed for ‘Terminator 5′

http://screenrant.com/arnold-schwarz...-terminator-5/

Quote:

Laeta Kalogridis (Shutter Island) and Patrick Lussier (My Bloody Valentine 3D) are currently putting together a Terminator 5 script for Ellison, nearly two years after the budding Hollywood power player purchased the Terminator franchise rights. Some of our readers have speculated that the plan is for T5 to return the series to its roots, by resurrecting the format of James Cameron’s original movie – which combines slasher tropes with sci-fi pop action – and moving away from the mythos building that culminated in Terminator Salvation (similar to how Riddick is taking the Vin Diesel franchise back to its Pitch Black origin, after Chronicles of Riddick). That would explain the hiring of a writing duo like Kalogridis and Lussier, who have complimentary backgrounds in the sci-fi and horror genre. Schwarzenegger – attending a London junket for The Last Stand - confirmed that he’s set to appear in Terminator 5 (via Bleeding Cool). Obviously, the screen icon is no longer convincing as the ageless T-800; though, if the story introduces Arnold as, say, a crusty fighter in the war against Skynet – one who the machines view as a fitting model for their new line of robots – his presence might avoid becoming a burden (or feeling shoehorned in). Not to mention, it could allow overriding (or just ignoring) of events in Salvation, which is something Justin Lin hinted at doing back when he was directing.
Going back to it's roots is great but the man is over 60 years old...

JoeZhang January 23 2013 09:13 AM

Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger Confirmed for ‘Terminator 5′

Quote:

Candlelight wrote: (Post 7577686)
http://screenrant.com/arnold-schwarz...-terminator-5/

Quote:

Laeta Kalogridis (Shutter Island) and Patrick Lussier (My Bloody Valentine 3D) are currently putting together a Terminator 5 script for Ellison, nearly two years after the budding Hollywood power player purchased the Terminator franchise rights. Some of our readers have speculated that the plan is for T5 to return the series to its roots, by resurrecting the format of James Cameron’s original movie – which combines slasher tropes with sci-fi pop action – and moving away from the mythos building that culminated in Terminator Salvation (similar to how Riddick is taking the Vin Diesel franchise back to its Pitch Black origin, after Chronicles of Riddick). That would explain the hiring of a writing duo like Kalogridis and Lussier, who have complimentary backgrounds in the sci-fi and horror genre. Schwarzenegger – attending a London junket for The Last Stand - confirmed that he’s set to appear in Terminator 5 (via Bleeding Cool). Obviously, the screen icon is no longer convincing as the ageless T-800; though, if the story introduces Arnold as, say, a crusty fighter in the war against Skynet – one who the machines view as a fitting model for their new line of robots – his presence might avoid becoming a burden (or feeling shoehorned in). Not to mention, it could allow overriding (or just ignoring) of events in Salvation, which is something Justin Lin hinted at doing back when he was directing.
Going back to it's roots is great but the man is over 60 years old...

He'd be pushing 70, I don't want to see a 70 year old terminator.

Tosk January 23 2013 09:27 AM

Going back to its roots or pissing on the original? My money is on the latter. Like the man said, I won't get fooled again.

JarodRussell January 23 2013 01:18 PM

Everyone and his dog gets it that Arnold needs to play a human resistance fighter in this one. I hope the producers get that as well.

"Going back to the roots" is a bad thing in this case. I don't want to see yet another "Terminator travels back in time and needs to be stopped". I want to see the full scale future war that we've seen hinted at in T1 and T2, and how they defeat Skynet, and start the time traveling loop.

Gaith January 23 2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 7578034)
I want to see the full scale future war that we've seen hinted at in T1 and T2, and how they defeat Skynet, and start the time traveling loop.

But then what would that leave T6? :p

Dream January 23 2013 10:56 PM

Pretty old news. I already started a topic about Arnold being in the next movie a while back.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=196102

Gaith January 23 2013 11:05 PM

Wait - brainstorm. I got it. Humans finally overthrow Skynet and send Reese back in the action-packed opening sequence, only to face a new nightmare: the invasion of, and war against, the xenomorphs. With the remaining machine units (mostly) safely under human control, it's... Terminator vs. Aliens!

Mr. Adventure January 24 2013 12:39 AM

Give me your boots, your clothes and your Depends, denture adhesive and hard candies.

Lonemagpie January 24 2013 01:31 AM

They should adapt SM Stirling's novel trilogy, so they can have Arnie play the human special forces guy (later to be resistance fighter) who Skynet based the Terminators on

Mr. Adventure January 24 2013 02:13 AM

^ Not Sgt Candy?

Mr. Laser Beam January 24 2013 03:16 AM

^ Or Dieter von Rossbach...

sojourner January 24 2013 05:40 AM

I got it! Let's combine 2 Arnold movies into one sequel! Terminator Jr.

Lonemagpie January 24 2013 04:55 PM

Dieter Von Rossbach, *not* Sgt Candy...

Admiral2 January 24 2013 06:12 PM

I just don't want to see more shit like "Rise" and "salvation." I really don't. I don't care if Arnold is rolling around in a wheelchair going "TERMIN-ATE! TERMIN-ATE!" as long as the producers lay prostrate at the altar of Cameronus Magnus and continue what he started.

Mr. Laser Beam January 24 2013 06:14 PM

The final scene in the whole film should be the resistance activating the time machine and sending Kyle back. After that: fade out.