The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Classic Who on BBC America (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200980)

OmahaStar January 21 2013 04:13 AM

Classic Who on BBC America
 
Next Sunday night, from 8p-10p (Central), BBC America will be showing the First Doctor story The Aztecs.

As I understand it, they will be doing this once a month, a two-hour block with one Doctor's story, leading up to the anniversary in November.

sidious618 January 21 2013 05:23 AM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
I wish they'd do this more often instead of showing 50 episodes of Top Gear a day.

Peacemaker January 21 2013 05:37 AM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
Sweet!!! Yeah, hopefully, this will take up more and more room on their schedule each month to replace endless Top Gear episodes.

Mr Light January 21 2013 01:44 PM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
That's great! They should show Doctor Who all the time! ST: TNG and BSG are not British productions!

Robert D. Robot January 21 2013 03:05 PM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
^ Yeah-- I do not understand why BBCA plays BSG and ST:TNG. Also, while I know that Top Gear and that Ramsay Kitchen Guy must be popular, I find it hard to believe that there are not other British programmes (both currently being made AND older out-of-production shows) that Americans would enjoy with which the BBCA could fill out their schedule. :confused:

Alidar Jarok January 21 2013 03:33 PM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
I'll make a note to check it out.

Tom January 21 2013 03:33 PM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
Wish Netflix would get some more classic Doctor Who beyond the 10 or so stories they have had for the past 2 years.

Redfern January 21 2013 04:47 PM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
The Aztecs? Cool! I haven't seen that one!

At first I wondered, why not "An Unearthy Child"? But then I assumed maybe that one is being reserved for the anniversary date itself, Nov. 23 (or the weekend closest to it).

Thanks for the "heads up"!

Sincerely,

Bill

Allyn Gibson January 21 2013 05:54 PM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
Quote:

Robert D. Robot wrote: (Post 7567900)
I do not understand why BBCA plays BSG and ST:TNG. Also, while I know that Top Gear and that Ramsay Kitchen Guy must be popular, I find it hard to believe that there are not other British programmes (both currently being made AND older out-of-production shows) that Americans would enjoy with which the BBCA could fill out their schedule. :confused:

BBC America is a commercial network, and they have to show things that they know will get eyeballs for advertisers and will justify what they pay to show it.

Mr. Adventure January 21 2013 06:23 PM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
Interesting, and a surprising choice. I'd think they'd play it safe with some Tom Baker initially. It's what they used to play when they had classic Who back in the day.

Allyn Gibson January 21 2013 07:13 PM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
Quote:

Mr. Adventure wrote: (Post 7568683)
Interesting, and a surprising choice. I'd think they'd play it safe with some Tom Baker initially. It's what they used to play when they had classic Who back in the day.

No, the BBC and its partners are doing a one Doctor per month thing for the anniversary:

January: First Doctor
February: Second Doctor
March: Third Doctor
April: Well, you get the idea.

That's why Destiny of the Doctors is structured the way it is. That's why Prisoners of Time is structured the way it is. That's why the eBook series is structured the way it is.

So, we can expect a Troughton on BBC America in February, a Pertwee in March, and so on.

Sindatur January 21 2013 07:39 PM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
Plus, The Aztecs is a good commercial for the Special Edition coming out with Galaxy 4 new episode. And The Aztecs is actually one of my favorite Hartnells

Mr. Adventure January 21 2013 07:55 PM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
I had missed the one-and-done part of this. I think for BBCA and many who only know Who from its current incarnation that T Baker would probably draw more sustainable interest than Hartnell.

Enterprise is Great January 21 2013 10:21 PM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
I'll check this out. I've never seen anything with the first Doctor.

Robert D. Robot January 21 2013 10:22 PM

Re: Classic Who on BBC America
 
Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 7568536)
Quote:

Robert D. Robot wrote: (Post 7567900)
I do not understand why BBCA plays BSG and ST:TNG. Also, while I know that Top Gear and that Ramsay Kitchen Guy must be popular, I find it hard to believe that there are not other British programmes (both currently being made AND older out-of-production shows) that Americans would enjoy with which the BBCA could fill out their schedule. :confused:

BBC America is a commercial network, and they have to show things that they know will get eyeballs for advertisers and will justify what they pay to show it.

I guess I should have been a bit better on how I phrased my comment-

I do understand the needs of a commercial network. It just seems sad that the only British programmes that Americans are interested in (or networks think Americans are interested in) are Who, Top Gear & Ramsay on BBCA and the same handful of 20-30 year old repeats of British comedies that are shown on PBS on Saturday nights.

BSG and Trek on BBCA? Sort of like flying to Paris so you can eat at McDonalds.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.