The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200623)

BoredShipCapt'n January 17 2013 02:44 PM

Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
Hi! I know that ST:TMP has been packaged and repackaged in different ways on DVD and/or Blu-ray. I don't own any of them, and I was hoping someone might give me a quick rundown of the different releases available and the pros and cons of each. Thanks! :)

LOKAI of CHERON January 17 2013 02:52 PM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
Get the Blu-ray which contains the theatrical release - the definitive version of the movie and hands down the best presentation on home video. Beyond that, you are limited to the Director's Cut on the 2 disc DVD. Both come with a load of bonus features.

BillJ January 17 2013 03:28 PM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 7548343)
Get the Blu-ray which contains the theatrical release - the definitive version of the movie and hands down the best presentation on home video. Beyond that, you are limited to the Director's Cut on the 2 disc DVD. Both come with a load of bonus features.

Might as well get both since you can usually find the DE for five bucks. :techman:

LOKAI of CHERON January 17 2013 03:33 PM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
^ Fair point, Bill. :techman:

milo bloom January 17 2013 05:16 PM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7548466)
Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 7548343)
Get the Blu-ray which contains the theatrical release - the definitive version of the movie and hands down the best presentation on home video. Beyond that, you are limited to the Director's Cut on the 2 disc DVD. Both come with a load of bonus features.

Might as well get both since you can usually find the DE for five bucks. :techman:

Yup. I bought all the 2 disc SEs of all 10 films, then I bought the 2 box sets for the different cuts of 1, 2 and 6 and all the different extras. (I bought most of them used so it wasn't too much money).

BoredShipCapt'n January 17 2013 06:12 PM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
Quote:

milo bloom wrote: (Post 7548769)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7548466)
Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 7548343)
Get the Blu-ray which contains the theatrical release - the definitive version of the movie and hands down the best presentation on home video. Beyond that, you are limited to the Director's Cut on the 2 disc DVD. Both come with a load of bonus features.

Might as well get both since you can usually find the DE for five bucks. :techman:

Yup. I bought all the 2 disc SEs of all 10 films, then I bought the 2 box sets for the different cuts of 1, 2 and 6 and all the different extras. (I bought most of them used so it wasn't too much money).

What version or versions are in the box sets? :confused:

milo bloom January 17 2013 08:46 PM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
This box set of the TOS movies:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig...+dvd+movie+box

has the theatrical cuts of 1, 2 and 6. The 2 disc SE's have the director's cuts of 1, 2 and 6. All the other movies (TOS and TNG) are the same cuts in either set.

This box set I linked too is actually the first time the theatrical cut of The Undiscovered Country has been presented on home video, and the first time the movie has been available in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio (instead of being opened up to 2.00:1).




(sidebar, I also did a little hack to this box where I replaced the bonus disc case with a 2 disc case and put my DVD copy of the 2009 movie in there since I also had it on Bluray).

CaptPapa January 18 2013 04:05 AM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 7548343)
Get the Blu-ray which contains the theatrical release - the definitive version of the movie and hands down the best presentation on home video. Beyond that, you are limited to the Director's Cut on the 2 disc DVD. Both come with a load of bonus features.

Definitive . . . ?

I prefer the Director's Cut of that film; it was just a much better movie . . . in my opinion.

Minuet January 18 2013 08:04 AM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
The theatrical cut is missing a few great Spock scenes, but it's not a movie-breaking loss. The biggest issue really between the director's cut and the theatrical cut is the pacing. The film already looks fantastic. The extra gloss given by the new effects is just an added bonus. The pacing of the theatrical cut is just way more sluggish, but I suppose if you haven't accidentally broken the fast-forward button of your controller, then there's not much of a problem anyway.

BoredShipCapt'n January 18 2013 02:25 PM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
Thanks, everyone! :beer:

LOKAI of CHERON January 18 2013 02:56 PM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
Quote:

Minuet wrote: (Post 7552813)
The theatrical cut is missing a few great Spock scenes, but it's not a movie-breaking loss. The biggest issue really between the director's cut and the theatrical cut is the pacing. The film already looks fantastic. The extra gloss given by the new effects is just an added bonus. The pacing of the theatrical cut is just way more sluggish, but I suppose if you haven't accidentally broken the fast-forward button of your controller, then there's not much of a problem anyway.

Personally, I feel the pacing of the theatrical cut is far superior and fits the mood, style and overall intent of the movie with grandiose aplomb. Yes, it has a slow pace, so what? I love the awe-inspiring, epic and beautifully executed "pace" for what it is - just as I enjoy the radically disparate and livelier style of Trek '09 for example. I feel the DC was an attempt to alter the film's original feel due to the endless parrotlike "slow Motion Picture" whingeing, bleating and whining over years. And yes, I am aware Robert Wise was at the helm for the DC.

milo bloom January 18 2013 06:20 PM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
Of course the "definitive" cut would be a remastered SLV, in widescreen with finished FX. There's so many little character beats that are missing from both the theatrical and director's cut that I grew up with watching the SLV on VHS and TV showings.

BoredShipCapt'n January 18 2013 06:50 PM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
Quote:

milo bloom wrote: (Post 7554352)
Of course the "definitive" cut would be a remastered SLV, in widescreen with finished FX. There's so many little character beats that are missing from both the theatrical and director's cut that I grew up with watching the SLV on VHS and TV showings.

That would be worthwhile, wouldn't it? :(

Grant January 18 2013 08:53 PM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
The pacing of the Theatrical is PERFECT.

Everyone said that from day one!

Oso Blanco January 18 2013 09:39 PM

Re: Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray
 
Quote:

milo bloom wrote: (Post 7554352)
Of course the "definitive" cut would be a remastered SLV, in widescreen with finished FX. There's so many little character beats that are missing from both the theatrical and director's cut that I grew up with watching the SLV on VHS and TV showings.

Agreed, except for the fx part. I'd rather have that airlock scene removed than new fx for it. And if it was just left the way it was, that would also be fine with me. I just want the original, unaltered SLV in widescreen and possibly HD.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.