The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Did DS9 "pound for pound" have the best acting cast? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200527)

indolover January 16 2013 01:46 PM

Did DS9 "pound for pound" have the best acting cast?

I believe it did.

TNG had a stellar actor (Sir Patrick Stewart), and other good/average ones. Voyager had largely average ones IMO. However, I believe most episodes featuring the DS9 main cast were well acted, right down from Sisko, Kira, and even Nog and Martok (I personally consider them main characters, Martok was virtually in every episode in the latter seasons).

Use of Time January 16 2013 02:57 PM

Re: Did DS9 "pound for pound" have the best acting cast?

As far as who I consider the "elite" of DS9. Rene Auberjonois, Armin Shimmerman and Jeffrey Combs. I liked Brooks at times but his acting became overwrought in dramatic situations at times. I feel the same with Visitor.

Pound for Pound? I suppose you could consider that cast as the best overall. TNG's elite to me are Stewart and Spiner.

The Mirrorball Man January 16 2013 03:29 PM

Colm Meaney has quite the impressive acting carreer as well.

Dale Sams January 16 2013 03:43 PM

Don't forget Louise Fletcher is an AA winning actress!...but so is Whoopi.

lurok January 16 2013 04:22 PM

Probably.

I was most impressed with Visitor, who I think really develops as a character and an actress over the seven years.

timtonruben359 January 16 2013 08:17 PM

I do believe DS9 had the best ensemble of actors. If you look at the principal cast, I can't think of a single bad actor. Part of that I think has to do with the fact the DS9 cast had the best material with which to work DS9 compared to TNG or VOY was a far more character based show. I think the TNG cast was great too but a lot of the actors didn't have the opportunities to shine often.

Ryva Brall January 16 2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

timtonruben359 wrote: (Post 7544647)
I do believe DS9 had the best ensemble of actors. If you look at the principal cast, I can't think of a single bad actor. Part of that I think has to do with the fact the DS9 cast had the best material with which to work DS9 compared to TNG or VOY was a far more character based show. I think the TNG cast was great too but a lot of the actors didn't have the opportunities to shine often.

Yeah, DS9 devoted a lot more time to character development than the other shows. It seemed like even the supporting characters, like Garak and Nog, got more development than Geordi or Harry Kim.

That being said, I do think DS9 had the highest number of talented actors. Armin Shimerman, Rene Auberjonois, Nana Visitor, and Colm Meaney were always fantastic. Shimerman, in particular, never failed to amaze me with his acting. Whether he was being funny or serious, typical greedy Ferengi or unlikely hero, he was always Quark. And it wasn't just the makeup.

Actually, don't kill me for saying this, but Avery Brooks always came off as the weakest actor out of the main cast.

Dankokoro January 16 2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Ryva Brall wrote: (Post 7545046)
Actually, don't kill me for saying this, but Avery Brooks always came off as the weakest actor out of the main cast.

Honestly think Avery Brooks was worse than Farrell? (sorry, this is my Jadzia hate spilling over from another thread).

I thought Brooks was great, but he did come across as a bit overly dramatic at times.

lurok January 16 2013 11:14 PM

Brooks is like jazz. Right notes in wrong order.

Or is that the other way round?

R. Star January 17 2013 01:13 AM

DS9's main strength was it has an awesome support cast, great writers who were willing to explore those characters, along with solid acting.

I'd say on an individual basis TNG's cast was better when compared with their DS9 opposites, but with the collective whole, DS9 was better.

JirinPanthosa January 17 2013 01:23 AM

I think TNG had easily the best acting cast.

DS9 was perfectly cast for its roles.

Now, best chemistry, DS9 by a landslide.

timtonruben359 January 17 2013 02:59 AM

Quote:

Ryva Brall wrote: (Post 7545046)

I'll agree that in the first couple of seasons Avery Brooks was a little wooden but I thought once he shaved his head he found the character. I mean look at episodes like Far Beyond the Stars and In the Pale Moonlight pretty darn good acting IMO!

Shanndee January 17 2013 03:49 AM

Quote:

Use of Time wrote: (Post 7543393)
As far as who I consider the "elite" of DS9. Rene Auberjonois, Armin Shimmerman and Jeffrey Combs. I liked Brooks at times but his acting became overwrought in dramatic situations at times. I feel the same with Visitor.

Pound for Pound? I suppose you could consider that cast as the best overall. TNG's elite to me are Stewart and Spiner.

Get out of my head!! :lol: (though I think I may like Brooks and Visitor more than you do!...I'd also add Colm Meaney to my list of the "elite".

CorporalClegg January 17 2013 05:17 AM

At the risk of having things thrown at me, I would say Voyager had the most talented main cast. Beltran and Wang were the only weak links, and even they had more good days than bad. Ryan, Mulgrew, and Picardo were as good as any other three, and the rest were more than adequate.

I'd have to put TNG second. Even if I do think Stewart is kind of overrated as an actor.

Which puts DS9 at third.

I'm going to go hide now.

Ryva Brall January 17 2013 06:04 AM

Don't worry, I won't be hurling any rotten vegetation your way. I also think Voyager had a great cast, for the most part. Beltran and Wang weren't the strongest actors, but they both had some fine moments. I'd say Picardo was the best of the bunch. I always loved the episodes where he had to act opposite himself. (i.e. the Doc and Zimmerman)