The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Tech (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Enterprise Cutaway Coming From Dragon Models (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200488)

Racer_X January 16 2013 03:49 AM

Enterprise Cutaway Coming From Dragon Models

The Startrek.com website just announced a few products coming out later this year, including a cutaway model of the original USS Enterprise from Dragon Models. The high-res photo looks like it'll be based off of the Drexler cutaway diagram. It's 18" long, all for the low, low price of $175! With a lot lower price, it might be a cool novelty item to have, but at $175, I dunno....

Albertese January 16 2013 06:33 AM

Re: Enterprise Cutaway Coming From Dragon Models

Hmm... Looking at the picture... I'm not too impressed. I think the most I'd pay for that would be about $35 USD. Heck, I could BUILD a better one at twice that size for the money, as that's about what a PL 1:350 TOS-E plus the extra plastic for the cut-a-way details would cost....

--Alex

Mytran January 16 2013 02:03 PM

Interesting idea to use transparent perspex, but not really enough detail for my liking.

Robert Comsol January 16 2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Albertese wrote: (Post 7542517)
"Hmm... Looking at the picture... I'm not too impressed. I think the most I'd pay for that would be about $35 USD. Heck, I could BUILD a better one at twice that size for the money, as that's about what a PL 1:350 TOS-E plus the extra plastic for the cut-a-way details would cost...."

My thoughts exactly.

And you could realize a cutaway version that's much more "screen-accurate" :D

Bob

137th Gebirg January 16 2013 03:10 PM

Needs a bowling alley.

B.J. January 16 2013 04:02 PM

Sounds like it's a new mold, not the same one that was produced a while back (1990s?). But from the pic, it doesn't look like it's that much better. Hrm. I'm with Albertese, it looks like it's worth around $35, not $175.

Mytran January 16 2013 04:19 PM

You mean this one?
http://culttvman.com/main/wp-content...cutawayart.jpg

This fellow has done a video on his assembly of the kit:

http://www.startrekvids.com/pyts.cache/pic.5434.jpg
(click for link)

Robert Comsol January 16 2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Mytran wrote: (Post 7543666)

Hmm...I think I don't know this one, the jetstream emanating from the warp nacelles would have been something I definitely would have remembered. :rolleyes:

Bob

137th Gebirg January 16 2013 05:50 PM

^^^ IIRC, that was SciPubTech's TOS cutaway poster from many many years ago. Around the same time, AMT/ERTL released a slightly larger-than-classic version of the 1701 which included a cutaway component. While still inaccurate in many respects, it was definitely a step up from the the original version that's been around since the 60's. Aside from that, I'm not familiar with any other mass-produced TOS cutaway efforts.

Albertese January 16 2013 09:22 PM

^^^
Nope. I believe this is art for the Cut-away model kit from AMT that you mention. The Sci-pub-tech poster presents the ship at a totally different angle.

--Alex

137th Gebirg January 16 2013 09:49 PM

^^^ Yes, I stand corrected. :)

My memory really sucks lately. :(

blssdwlf January 17 2013 01:58 AM

I agree with Albertese's assessment. $175 is way too much, IMO.

SchwEnt January 17 2013 11:13 PM

Which would be better?

A partial cutaway model, with only certain sections exposed as seen in this model

-or-

a full cutaway, right down the middle, see the whole guts of the ship bi-sected?

Robert Comsol January 18 2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

SchwEnt wrote: (Post 7550701)
Which would be better?

A partial cutaway model, with only certain sections exposed as seen in this model

-or-

a full cutaway, right down the middle, see the whole guts of the ship bi-sected?

I'm somewhat undecided but if Dragon Models is listening this is what I would like the best:

A model kit of the original studio set like the one Matt Jefferies did with paper to help the TOS directors plan their camera positions at 1:32 or 1:35 scale !!!

(the old AMT command bridge and shuttlecraft were one of these scakes, I believe).

Have this one with movable walls (like the original set) and forget about that LEGO stuff. I'd have a wonderful time with my two boys building new corridors and new sections of the ship on a weekly basis and eventually make a deck by deck Enterprise in 1:35 scale (needless to add it would be more fun for all our deck plan blueprinting projects if you were able to do that in real 3D - especially if you are not a CAD wizard :D).

Now, that's something I'd be willing to pay 175.00 $ without a moment of hesitation. ;)

Bob

Good February 5 2013 04:36 AM

I bought several of the old cutaway when they were on close-out at Big Lots. This was back when there wasn't a good TOS 1701 plastic kit out there. My plan was to combine the two into a non-cutaway full version. I tested it out by using the extra parts to make a Saladin. It turned out pretty well, but right before I finished it, I had to pack it up in my parents basement and move to another state. I recently got it back out. This makes me think I might need to try and finish it.