The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Borg tribble subplot? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200434)

Solstice January 15 2013 02:34 PM

Borg tribble subplot?

I think there will be a Borg tribble subplot in Star Trek: Into Darkness. All the signs are there. Let me explain.

First off, Borg tribbles are practically canon already, since they appear in Star Trek: Online. So, you can't tell me there's no possibility they'll ever show up on screen.

http://i.imgur.com/Y9AjU.jpg

Second, we are dealing with an alternate reality, so everything about the Federation's first contact with the Borg goes right out the window. In this reality, Borg were present on Earth in 2063, and were reactivated in 2153. Now, we also have Nero's Borg-enhanced ship, per the Countdown comics. Given all this unexpected presence of Borg in the Alpha Quadrant well before the Borg Collective tried to establish a presence there, it makes sense that the Collective of the 2250s would want to take a look.

Third, there is the strategic value of Borg tribbles. They are known for their voracious appeties and prodigious reproductive abilities. If the Borg find a planet to be overly resistant, they can simply infest it with Borg tribbles and starve out the population to the point where they're simply begging to be assimilated.

Fourth, we know that tribbles hate Klingons. The upcoming film also deals with Klingons.

So, this is what I'm thinking: the Klingons are currently mortal enemies of the Federation. Benedict Cumberbatch's character worked for Starfleet, until he saw that the Borg were using tribbles to starve out the Klingons, and he wanted to do something about it. Starfleet, seeing an opportunity to rid themselves of a major threat, declined to help and forbade him from intervening. Enraged that the Federation would stand by and watch a Klingonitarian crisis unfold, he detonated the fleet and sought revenge. Maybe he liked Klingons so much he even had a Klingon wife, who is now dead. This would be similar to previous Trek villains whose vengeance is also motivated by being widowers.

This would explain his later presence on Kronos in the film, and why Kirk and company have to hunt him down: to stop him from defeating the Borg tribbles and saving the Klingons.

Don't ask me where he gets his superhuman abilities. Probably from Borg tech he stole from those tribbles. I mean, it's not like they could fight back, right? They'd just squawk a lot, but less than usual, because they save their real squawking for Klingons.

Unless he actually is a Klingon spy, like Arne Darvin. You never know.

So, that's my theory.

Jackson_Roykirk January 15 2013 02:44 PM

Re: Borg tribble subplot?

Actually, if the Federation could harness the power of the Borg Tribbles (maybe turn them into Borg-Tribble "Hughs"), then the Federation could use those Borg Tribbles as a weapon against the Klingon Empire...

...But my theory is just wild speculation, and isn't as likely and logical as yours.

{ Emma Snow } January 15 2013 02:47 PM

Interesting theory that's worth discussing.

But can somebody provide a list of canon tribble colours first please?

Dale Sams January 15 2013 05:16 PM

But can you put a bomb in a Borg tribble?

Solstice January 15 2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Dale Sams wrote: (Post 7538803)

I'm sure their implants could be wired to explode or something. Imagine a billion tribbles on an enemy planet, all set to blow up at once. Resistance is indeed futile.

lurok January 15 2013 05:28 PM

Can they go underwater?

Solstice January 15 2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

lurok wrote: (Post 7538854)
Can they go underwater?

That might short out the electronics.

The Wormhole January 15 2013 05:53 PM

So I've been wondering, not much has been established about Borg Tribbles canonically speaking. We know both Borg and Tribbles exist in the 23rd century and they could have met, there's nothing saying they couldn't. And since Abrams and his cohorts are saying they'd like to provide various links to the other Trek series, this could be a perfect link to other Treks. Have a scene where Kirk and Spock enter an alien night club in search of John Harrison. While they're looking around, they pass by Borg Tribbles, whipping electro tentacles at everyone around them for some reason. You know what would make this scene even better? Have Borg Tribbles underwater, in a fish tank or something. The potential is awe-inspiringly awesome.

Discuss.

DaveyNY January 15 2013 05:59 PM

Shouldn't they be called BRIBBLEs or TRORGs or something like that?

Jackson_Roykirk January 15 2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Can they go underwater?

If they do, then I would expect to see a technical explanation as to how they can.

...By the way, is the "Borg Tribble" thread another attempt at creating a "Blue Nacelle"-type thread? Blue Nacelle-type threads aren't created, they just spontaneously come into existence. :p

The Wormhole January 15 2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: (Post 7539022)
Quote:

Can they go underwater?

If they do, then I would expect to see a technical explanation as to how they can.

...By the way, is the "Borg Tribble" thread another attempt at creating a "Blue Nacelle"-type thread? Blue Nacelle-type threads aren't created, they just spontaneously come into existence. :p

No, it's a serious discussion as to whether or not the movie should feature Borg Tribbles which is a a very big issue that could make or break its performance at the box office.

DaveyNY January 15 2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Can they go underwater?

We'd need a Bribble with a SOMBRERO for that to happen.

Solstice January 15 2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Can they go underwater?

Excuse me, but I provided a very logical and thought-out explanation for my theory. While the movie could work without Borg tribbles, I don't think it will be as good as it would be with Borg tribbles. And the more Borg tribbles appear in the film, the better a film it will be. I call this the "tribble quotient." A Trek film with a low tribble quotient has a higher potential for disappointment.

Given that genetic engineering may be one of the plot elements of Star Trek: Into Darkness, we could also see Borg tribbles with new and unique powers, such as the ability to fly, communicate telepathically (assuming there's no canonical evidence that they could already do so), and read Cosmo.

CorporalClegg January 15 2013 06:52 PM

I'm surprised Borg Tribbles haven't taken over the galaxy already. The two most prolific species in the galaxy becoming one: talk about your no-win scenario.

M'Sharak January 15 2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Dale Sams wrote: (Post 7538803)

I don't see why not.