The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   DS9, Worf and Continuity. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200272)

CmndrSela318 January 14 2013 08:01 AM

DS9, Worf and Continuity.

At the end of part 2 of Way Of The Warrior O'Brien says to Worf: You look good in red.
Worf replies: It feels good.
They both acted like Worf had NEVER wore a red uniform. I was rewatching Angel One, my favorite Star Trek: The Next Generation season one episode. Guess what color Worf's uniform was in Angel One. If you said RED, you're correct. Now here's my question:
Were the DS9 writers stupid, forgetful or just too lazy to watch season one of Next Generation?

R. Star January 14 2013 08:07 AM

Re: DS9, Worf and Continuity.

Quote:

CmndrSela_333 wrote: (Post 7532176)
At the end of part 2 of Way Of The Warrior O'Brien says to Worf: You look good in red.
Worf replies: It feels good.
They both acted like Worf had NEVER wore a red uniform. I was rewatching Angel One, my favorite Star Trek: The Next Generation season one episode. Guess what color Worf's uniform was in Angel One. If you said RED, you're correct. Now here's my question:
Were the DS9 writers stupid, forgetful or just too lazy to watch season one of Next Generation?

That's a nitpick. After seven years in yellow, switching back to red warrants a comment. Especially given O'brien and Worf never really interacted at all until after Worf was in yellow.

CmndrSela318 January 14 2013 08:18 AM

Well it might be a nitpick. But I'm still gonna nitpick it to death. I'll give you the point about O'Brien and Worf. But tell me this: do you think Worf forgot that at one time, before Tasha Yar died, his uniform was red?

R. Star January 14 2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

CmndrSela_333 wrote: (Post 7532209)
Well it might be a nitpick. But I'm still gonna nitpick it to death. I'll give you the point about O'Brien and Worf. But tell me this: do you think Worf forgot that at one time, before Tasha Yar died, his uniform was red?

I doubt it, but you can't imply that he forgot it by "it feels good." He could be saying it feels good to be back in red. He could be saying it feels good to be on a command track. He could be saying it feels good to be back on duty again. Or any combination thereof.

They don't have to list their complete biography over an innocent comment.

Tosk January 14 2013 09:06 AM

O'Brien used to wear red too, so is it an oversight that Worf didn't say, "Hey, you should know how good it feels"? Of course not. Not every conversation must cover every little point of someone's life.

O'Brien gave Worf a compliment, Worf responded. And that's that.

"Hey, I like your haircut!"
"Uh, it's the same as the one I had seven years ago, moron."

Freman January 14 2013 09:46 AM

This is the stupidest nitpick I've ever heard. Really? I wore a black shirt today. My girlfriend said I looked good in black. Guess what? I wore a black shirt a couple of days ago too.

Does that mean my girlfriend FORGOT that I have worn black before? NO!! She was giving me a compliment.

O'Brien saying that to Worf has nothing to do with either of them forgetting that Work used to be on the command track, it means O'Brien was giving Worf a compliment and congratulating him on his new position.

Seriously, are people's lives so empty that they actually complain about stuff like this?

The Mirrorball Man January 14 2013 10:59 AM

O'Brien: You look good in red.
Worf: What do you mean by that? This is nothing new. I used to wear red, seven years ago!
O'Brien: I remember.
Worf: You should remember, because you were there. On the Enterprise.
O'Brien: True. I wore red too. And I used to wear the insigna of a full lieutenant for some reason.
Worf: It feels good. And by "it feels good", I don't mean that I don't remember wearing red, because I totally do.

From "Deep Space 9 for Nitpickers", volume 47.

Freman January 14 2013 11:21 AM

^^ :lol: Exactly my point.

Ensign_Redshirt January 14 2013 11:33 AM

"You look good in red"???

More proof for O'Brien's Marxist leanings! :p (Remember his admiration for labor unions in "Bar Association"?)

MacLeod January 14 2013 11:36 AM

Yeah it was just a compliment.

TheGodBen January 14 2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

CmndrSela_333 wrote: (Post 7532209)
Well it might be a nitpick. But I'm still gonna nitpick it to death.

This is why Star Trek fans have a reputation.

It was a simple line to express to the audience that Worf was in the command division now, it did not need expository qualifiers explaining Worf's career history. It would have been unnecessary and unnatural.

indolover January 15 2013 10:49 PM

The way I interpreted it was that O'Brien was complimenting/commending Worf for being a Command officer, hence the red uniform.

Melakon January 15 2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 7532269)
O'Brien gave Worf a compliment, Worf responded. And that's that.

O'Brien's lucky Worf didn't think he was making a pass at him.

toughlittleship January 15 2013 11:49 PM

Well, in the same episode, Worf is nervous when the Defiant cloaks and he tells Sisko he has never been aboard a Federation ship with a cloaking device, he was; the Enterprise in "The Pegasus".

Seven of Five January 16 2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

The Mirrorball Man wrote: (Post 7532449)
O'Brien: You look good in red.
Worf: What do you mean by that? This is nothing new. I used to wear red, seven years ago!
O'Brien: I remember.
Worf: You should remember, because you were there. On the Enterprise.
O'Brien: True. I wore red too. And I used to wear the insigna of a full lieutenant for some reason.
Worf: It feels good. And by "it feels good", I don't mean that I don't remember wearing red, because I totally do.

From "Deep Space 9 for Nitpickers", volume 47.

This screams blu-ray extended edition! I'd buy it twice. :techman:

Poor O'Brien didn't even have a name when he was in red, so I doubt he gave a shit about what uniform Worf was wearing, or if it made his eyes look good.