The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200215)

Allyn Gibson January 13 2013 06:15 PM

ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Since it was suggested in a Sherlock thread that there should be a separate thread for CBS' Elementary (though there are dead threads here and here)...

There were two big pieces of Elementary news yesterday.

First, Rob Doherty talked about the Super Bowl episode, Moriarty, and Irene Adler as part of the Television Critics Association's press tour. In particular, despite recent revelations, there will be an actress cast as Irene.

Second, John Hannah has been cast Rhys, Holmes' former drug dealer.

I can't place Hannah (he was in The Mummy movies, though I don't remember him).

As for Adler, I hope that, like the Canon character, she's an American. If she's from New Jersey, again like the Canon character, then that could suggest a reason for Holmes' decision to come to New York, so that he can experience the world that she knew before her murder.

Nerys Myk January 13 2013 06:25 PM

Re: ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

So Irene will be played by Snookie? ;)

ITL January 13 2013 06:39 PM

I have to admit I like this show - Miller does a great job as Sherlock, and I'm looking forward to Hannah showing up - chewing less scenery than his epic role in the first two seasons of Spartacus, I should think!

nightwind1 January 13 2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 7528948)
Since it was suggested in a Sherlock thread that there should be a separate thread for CBS' Elementary (though there are dead threads here and here)...

There were two big pieces of Elementary news yesterday.

First, Rob Doherty talked about the Super Bowl episode, Moriarty, and Irene Adler as part of the Television Critics Association's press tour. In particular, despite recent revelations, there will be an actress cast as Irene.

Second, John Hannah has been cast Rhys, Holmes' former drug dealer.

I can't place Hannah (he was in The Mummy movies, though I don't remember him).

As for Adler, I hope that, like the Canon character, she's an American. If she's from New Jersey, again like the Canon character, then that could suggest a reason for Holmes' decision to come to New York, so that he can experience the world that she knew before her murder.

John Hannah was Evie's brother, the greedy one.

Relayer1 January 13 2013 07:09 PM

He's been in loads of stuff. Look him up - you should recognise him.

I'd have preferred him to be Mycroft, but he's a bit thin for that part...

Spot's Meow January 13 2013 07:55 PM

I wasn't expecting too much from this show after the first couple of episodes, since it seemed mostly like a typical CBS police drama, but it has really begun to stand out for me. Especially after this past week's episode, which was very good. I think that Lucy Liu makes the perfect Watson, which I never would have guessed before the show began. I look forward to more episodes.

By the way, I also really enjoy the opening sequence.

Greg Cox January 13 2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 7528978)
So Irene will be played by Snookie? ;)

Bite your tongue!

Irene will, of course, be played by Chelsea Handler . . . .

Robert D. Robot January 13 2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Spot's Meow wrote: (Post 7529497)
I wasn't expecting too much from this show after the first couple of episodes, since it seemed mostly like a typical CBS police drama, but it has really begun to stand out for me. Especially after this past week's episode, which was very good. I think that Lucy Liu makes the perfect Watson, which I never would have guessed before the show began. I look forward to more episodes.

By the way, I also really enjoy the opening sequence.

I will conserve space by simply seconding everything you've said, Spot's Meow (...including the Goldberg Device used in the show's opening)!

Borgminister January 14 2013 12:08 AM

Now that they have his arch-nemesis waiting in the wings, an already surprisingly good show will potentially get even better...

Guy Gardener January 14 2013 01:58 AM

I'm pretty sure that we already saw Moriarty a few episodes ago.

Borgminister January 14 2013 04:28 PM

Damn, must've missed that... :confused:

DigificWriter January 14 2013 05:33 PM

^ No, Moriarty has not yet been seen on Elementary. Moran/M was not Moriarty.

cardinal biggles January 14 2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Relayer1 wrote: (Post 7529251)

So's Mark Gatiss on Sherlock, but it works out anyway.

lennier1 January 14 2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

cardinal biggles wrote: (Post 7533706)
Quote:

Relayer1 wrote: (Post 7529251)

So's Mark Gatiss on Sherlock, but it works out anyway.

Both shows constantly take a ton of liberties, but at the same time they try to live up to the name. If they continue to keep this in mind, it shouldn't be a problem.

Enterprise is Great January 14 2013 09:26 PM

Is it just me or does Jonny Lee Miller mumble his lines sometimes? I also notice that the sound level seems to drop when he speaks. I've seen it on several different tvs and cable services and it happens every episode. It seems to be something with the show because I don't notice that happening on all the other CBS shows I watch. Other than that I love the show. I think that Lucy Liu is doing a really good job as Watson.