The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Anti-Spock racism/general disrespect for the XO (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200134)

Dale Sams January 12 2013 11:00 PM

Anti-Spock racism/general disrespect for the XO

Besides McCoy's series-wide, mouth-frothing, insane rants...are there any other eps one can think of besides:

Balance of Terror: Sure, it's just Styles, but as seen later in Galileo Seven, Spock and a lot of people around him put up with it way longer than you should see in Roddenberry's 'advanced world'.

Galilieo Seven: See above

Turnabout Intruder: Now, this is really stretching, but I was always surprised by the reaction of the security guard. "You're as crazy as she is! You'll have to leave!"....dude, chill. It's the XO.

The Tholian Web: Generally anything there should be excused by the circumstances.

But generally...I mean, c'mon. He's the XO, the exec, Second in Command. Numero two-oh, The not as Big Cheese, Not quite the head honcho, Queen of the hill...

marksound January 12 2013 11:25 PM

Re: Anti-Spock racism/general disrespect for the XO

... And it was the 60s. Pretty advanced for its time.

What's your beef, exactly?

Dale Sams January 13 2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Carcazoid wrote: (Post 7526023)
... And it was the 60s. Pretty advanced for its time.

What's your beef, exactly?

In the words of the Iotians?

Well, the Feds got their boys see? Annnnnd these boys are run like a well-oiled machine ya see? They can't be running around cookoo like! Styles pops off to Spock, McCoy pops off to Spock, all dese guys poppin off left and right! It jeoperdizes da whole command structure!!!

Melakon January 13 2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Dale Sams wrote: (Post 7526224)
It jeoperdizes da whole organization!!!

Fixed that for ya.

Some of the outbursts were due to the stress of the moment. Stiles had a personal grudge against the Romulans, and he disliked Spock due to his resembling them. McCoy's insults were due to his general crankiness. Boma deserved to be left behind on Taurus II.

Spock kept his emotions under control enough that petty insults usually had no effect on him (exception: All Our Yesterdays).

Boma really should have been officially reprimanded, and perhaps busted to ensign.

BoredShipCapt'n January 13 2013 01:32 AM

There was all that stuff in Day of the Dove, but that was being manipulated by the alien.

ZapBrannigan January 13 2013 02:44 AM

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...pockracism.jpg

STAR TREK was filmed before we had rigid speech codes forbidding any utterance that anyone might take personally. Nowadays the rule is "Watch what you say."

Melakon January 13 2013 03:14 AM

Quote:

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: (Post 7526500)
There was all that stuff in Day of the Dove, but that was being manipulated by the alien.

There's a story that when Scott says "Keep your Vulcan hands off me!", the director suggested to James Doohan that he pronounce "Vulcan" as if he were saying a certain expletive. Doohan grinned appreciatively.

Dale Sams January 13 2013 03:45 AM

Appropriate that "I don't like that....I never did." would come out in the second to last episode.

scotpens January 13 2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 7526836)
STAR TREK was filmed before we had rigid speech codes forbidding any utterance that anyone might take personally. Nowadays the rule is "Watch what you say."

That isn't the point. Starfleet was conceived and presented as a military or quasi-military organization. In the military, outright disrespect to one's superiors is insubordination, which can draw anything from a stern lecture to extra duty, suspension of privileges, docking of pay, time in the brig, or reduction in rank.

Nerys Myk January 13 2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

scotpens wrote: (Post 7527172)
Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 7526836)

That isn't the point. Starfleet was conceived and presented as a military or quasi-military organization. In the military, outright disrespect to one's superiors is insubordination, which can draw anything from a stern lecture to extra duty, suspension of privileges, docking of pay, time in the brig, or reduction in rank.

But Star Trek was conceived as a television show, where the characters rib each other for dramatic and comedic effect.

R. Star January 13 2013 04:15 AM

I'd like to think by the 23rd century, assuming humanity is even a going concern, we don't look into every little thing looking for something to get our feelings hurt and cry foul over.

Dale Sams January 13 2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7527193)
I'd like to think by the 23rd century, assuming humanity is even a going concern, we don't look into every little thing looking for something to get our feelings hurt and cry foul over.

You mean like around 1975 when we could make films like Blazing Saddles and skits such as appeared on SNL with Richard Pryor.

It would be funny if they inverted this in the Numovie:

MCCOY: "Why you green-blooded..." (switch to the brig)..."Pointy eared, computerized..."

KIRK: "I'll try and get him to drop the charges, Bones."

Anwar January 13 2013 04:39 AM

Switch all of McCoy's "Green blooded son of a bitch!" stuff to "Dark-skinned son of a bitch!" and his attitude really gets disgusting.

Sir Rhosis January 13 2013 05:50 AM

Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 7526971)
Quote:

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: (Post 7526500)

There's a story that when Scott says "Keep your Vulcan hands off me!", the director suggested to James Doohan that he pronounce "Vulcan" as if he were saying a certain expletive. Doohan grinned appreciatively.

I've heard this but instead of the director, I've heard that it was the episode's writer Jerome Bixby who told Doohan to say "Vuckin'."

Sir Rhosis

SchwEnt January 13 2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Anwar wrote: (Post 7527292)
Switch all of McCoy's "Green blooded son of a bitch!" stuff to "Dark-skinned son of a bitch!" and his attitude really gets disgusting.

Right on. Not only McCoy, but others kidded Spock about his blood, ears, and so on. And it only worked because it's all make-believe.

Imagine a scene with McCoy and Sulu, and you hear the doctor, "Why you yellow-skinned, slant-eyed..."