The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Thoughts on "Descent" (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=199336)

Melakon January 5 2013 06:23 PM

Thoughts on "Descent"
 
I just watched "Descent 1 & 2" for the first time in over ten years. At first there were a few nitpicky things I noticed, like why are the episode's cast and director credits in the teaser before the main title, instead of after?

Then, Data asks Geordi to help him override holodeck safety protocols to perform what is essentially a live-fire training exercise, but LaForge refuses. Are two officers also required to disable protocols for simple athletic or sports exercises?

When the Borg invade the bridge, it sure is lucky for us that Riker is only briefly stunned instead of seriously injured or killed in the aggressive firefight.

But in Part 2, I stopped making notes as I got drawn into Brent Spiner's performance. There's a third character he's playing that we never notice. It's the Conflicted Data, halfway between the extremes of Data and Lore, and there are behavioral traits from both in him. Spiner manages to keep all three versions distinct.

jimbotron January 5 2013 07:28 PM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 7491964)
I just watched "Descent 1 & 2" for the first time in over ten years. At first there were a few nitpicky things I noticed, like why are the episode's cast and director credits in the teaser before the main title, instead of after?

They had the credits in the teaser because they did not want credits rolling in the middle of a firefight, which is what happened just after the titles.

Mojochi January 6 2013 11:55 PM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 7491964)
Then, Data asks Geordi to help him override holodeck safety protocols to perform what is essentially a live-fire training exercise, but LaForge refuses.

I think My favorite thing about Data is that only two episodes after this story is resolved, Geordi places Data in the exact same position, during "Interface", by wanting to endanger himself with his link to the probe

Data objects, but ultimately supports Geordi. Geordi should think back on how he wouldn't help Data in Descent, & feel like crap

WillsBabe January 7 2013 06:49 PM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
I read an awesome fanfic years back, the title of which I can't recall, alas, set many years after these eps, in which Lore had been sucessful. It was essentially about how a band of beleagured humans send one of their number back to stop Data and Lore getting together.

T'Girl January 7 2013 08:51 PM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
Quote:

Mojochi wrote: (Post 7497322)
Data objects, but ultimately supports Geordi. Geordi should think back on how he wouldn't help Data in Descent

Georgi has feelings for Data, truthfully Data has none for Geordi.

:mallory:

Anwar January 7 2013 09:07 PM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
I'm kind of surprised the renegade Borg didn't have personal shields anymore. But then again, they had built-in weapons the normal Borg don't have. Their costumes were also different for easier movement compared to the usual Borg outfit.

MikeS January 8 2013 09:46 PM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
Quote:

WillsBabe wrote: (Post 7500226)
I read an awesome fanfic years back, the title of which I can't recall, alas, set many years after these eps, in which Lore had been sucessful. It was essentially about how a band of beleagured humans send one of their number back to stop Data and Lore getting together.

The Terminator?

jimbotron January 8 2013 10:35 PM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
I did like that they brought back James Horan to once again be a naysayer about the metaphasic shields. :lol:

Mott the barber January 9 2013 06:47 PM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
It's been years since I've seen these so at this point I think I'll wait for the remastered versions. They were good, but not great, Borg episodes.

I like when they deactivated Lore for the last time...kind of emotional even though he was a horrible "person."

WillsBabe January 9 2013 09:13 PM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
Quote:

MikeS wrote: (Post 7506043)
Quote:

WillsBabe wrote: (Post 7500226)
I read an awesome fanfic years back, the title of which I can't recall, alas, set many years after these eps, in which Lore had been sucessful. It was essentially about how a band of beleagured humans send one of their number back to stop Data and Lore getting together.

The Terminator?

Now you mention it, it does sound like the plot of The Terminator. :lol: I recall now it was called In the Shadow of the Sun.

Captain McBain January 22 2013 04:26 AM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
I never understood that holodeck scene. Data tells Geordi that since the holodeck safeties are on, "I know my life is not in danger," or words to that effect. But Geordi still refuses to help him, as though Data could be injured or destroyed. So which is it? I thought that when holodeck safeties were on, you couldn't be injured.

Melakon January 22 2013 05:38 AM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
Data wanted to disable the safety protocols, which required consent of two officers. Maybe Geordi just thought Data was nuts trying to summon up the emotional experience again by repeatedly "killing" Borg proxies.

JeffJedi January 22 2013 05:56 AM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
I just want to know what happened to Lore after this.

Anwar January 22 2013 06:17 AM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
Dismantled, most likely.

DonIago January 22 2013 06:27 AM

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"
 
What happened to Lore? He was disassembled. End of story.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.