The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Cover and blurb for TOS: The Weight of Worlds (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=199288)

JD January 5 2013 12:10 AM

Cover and blurb for TOS: The Weight of Worlds

Star Trek.com has posted the cover and blurb for Greg Cox's upcoming TOS novel, The Weight of Worlds.
http://www.startrek.com/uploads/asse...r_WEBCOPY_.jpg
Quote:

The Ephrata Institute is an intellectual think tank at the outer fringes of the final frontier. Dedicated to the arts and sciences, the Institute seems an unlikely target for an invasion, but it proves easy pickings when the Crusade comes from beyond, determined to impose its harsh, unbending Truth on all the worlds of the Federation. Armed with weaponized gravity, the alien Crusaders will stop at nothing to rescue the universe from its myriad beliefs… even if it means warping the mind and soul of every sentient being they encounter.

“Responding to an urgent distress signal, Captain James T. Kirk and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise soon find themselves in conflict with the Crusade, and facing individual challenges. When Kirk and Spock are transported to the Crusade's distant homeland to confront the source of the invasion, Sulu finds himself trapped behind enemy lines, while Lieutenant Uhura is faced with possibly the most difficult decisions of her career. As the Crusade sets its sights beyond Ephrata IV, it is up to the Enterprise and its besieged crew to keep freedom of thought from being crushed beneath the weight of worlds
I like the cover myself. It strikes me as almost being a little retro in a way. And the story sounds great to me.

Relayer1 January 5 2013 12:20 AM

Re: Cover and blurb for TOS: The Weight of Worlds

I love the cover.

Although I'm not exactly the worlds biggest 5 Year Mission fan, Gregs stuff is usually fun...

DS9forever January 5 2013 12:26 AM

Given how prominent Uhura seems it is strange she isn't on the cover.

Christopher January 5 2013 12:33 AM

Yep, a very retro cover. My first thought was that it had kind of a Bantam-era vibe.

Greg Cox January 5 2013 12:46 AM

Hey, thanks for posting that. Pocket nicely showed me the cover right before the holidays, but asked me not to pass it around before it could be formally unveiled. Glad to see it's finally out in the world!

Lonemagpie January 5 2013 01:05 AM

Love the painting - retro and good

Admiral Rex January 5 2013 01:36 AM

I liked it at first glance, but Kirk's head looks out of proportion with his body.

BillJ January 5 2013 01:38 AM

Love the v-necks Kirk and Sulu are sporting, gives it a comic book feel. :techman:

The Wormhole January 5 2013 01:56 AM

Holy shit! That cover is awesome!

bbailey861 January 5 2013 01:58 AM

I am so freaking excited. This cover is beautiful and I can't wait to buy this. Jesus, I'm in my 50's and I sound like I'm still 12. I'm going to pour myself a drink.

T'Bonz January 5 2013 04:03 AM

Gorgeous cover.

indianatrekker26 January 5 2013 04:08 AM

i freakin LOVE this cover! No photoshop in sight! An actual drawn, painted cover! So refreshing!

sulfur January 5 2013 04:41 AM

Who painted that cover?

Christopher January 5 2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

indianatrekker26 wrote: (Post 7490290)
i freakin LOVE this cover! No photoshop in sight! An actual drawn, painted cover! So refreshing!

Actually it looks like a digital painting to me (the colors have a very computerish smoothness), and I gather that Photoshop is one of the most popular digital painting programs in use these days. So it could be Photoshop in the literal sense, even if it isn't "photoshopped" in the vernacular sense (I guess the program's functionality has expanded since that term entered the vernacular).

BeatleJWOL January 5 2013 05:13 AM

Interesting. Shades of the Zaran Totality, or the old Omne novels?