The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   whatever happened to these characters? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=199129)

Jarvisimo January 3 2013 07:56 PM

whatever happened to these characters?

Hey all, a peerie request, but I was wondering if there has been any mention of these characters chronologically more recent than their memory beta entries? After seeing a great bitpart character like Captain Bateson so much recently (in DTI & Cold Equations), I was wondering about other (large and small) characters who seem to have become one of the billions of souls who make up the Federation or its neighbours.

Some just off the top of my head are:

- Admiral Leyton - he would be out of prison now, wouldn't he?
- Admiral Ross - man was awesome
- Captain Benteen from Homeland/Paradise Lost.

Does anyone else have any other small or large characters MIA? Although this is not intended to suggest a wishlist of who should be included in future treklit: that would be rather suggestive of small universe syndrome. Just wondering if people have either more (published) details.

zarkon January 3 2013 08:10 PM

Re: whatever happened to these characters?

Why would we hear from ross again after the events of Articles of the Federation?

Mysterion January 3 2013 08:47 PM

Liked what we saw of the character Capt. Benteen, and would like to see her re-surface in the Trekiverse. I always imagined that she had a really good lawyer and got off with a demotion in rank or somesuch. I mena she only acted in good faith on misleading information provided to her by Adm. Leyton, so...

RPJOB January 4 2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

zarkon wrote: (Post 7483135)
Why would we hear from ross again after the events of Articles of the Federation?

Why wouldn't we? It's not like he was locked away inside an asteroid. He was forced to resign from Starfleet but it's not like they made a big deal about it, not wanting to draw attention to the reasons why. As long as he doesn't open his mouth about his part in the death of the president and the cover-up by everyone else, including the current president, he's probably just as free as anyone else. What are they going to do, kill him too? The man's a war hero after all.

Jarvisimo January 4 2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

And it is not like there are no civilians and civilian careers in the Trek verse?

Stevil2001 January 5 2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

RPJOB wrote: (Post 7486324)
Quote:

Why wouldn't we? It's not like he was locked away inside an asteroid. He was forced to resign from Starfleet but it's not like they made a big deal about it, not wanting to draw attention to the reasons why. As long as he doesn't open his mouth about his part in the death of the president and the cover-up by everyone else, including the current president, he's probably just as free as anyone else. What are they going to do, kill him too? The man's a war hero after all.

Given that an ex-President can disappear and no one notices, who would think of Ross?

JD January 6 2013 04:44 PM

I've been watching both Sherlock and Elementary lately, and the got me wondering, has anything been done with Moriarty since they stuck him in his little cube thing?
What about Tom Riker, post Dominion War? I haven't read the book, but I know he was in Imzadi II, although I believe that was either before or during the Dominion War.

DS9forever January 6 2013 06:55 PM

Zek and Ishka haven't been seen for a while either.

JoeZhang January 6 2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

JD wrote: (Post 7495579)
I've been watching both Sherlock and Elementary lately, and the got me wondering, has anything been done with Moriarty since they stuck him in his little cube thing?
What about Tom Riker, post Dominion War? I haven't read the book, but I know he was in Imzadi II, although I believe that was either before or during the Dominion War.

I think that..

Christopher January 6 2013 07:54 PM

^Why does your spoiler box say "Destiny spoilers" when you reference something from Fallen Gods, a Titan novel?

JoeZhang January 6 2013 08:13 PM

Beats the fuck out of me.

Kertrats47 January 6 2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 7496308)

Ummm... okay... :vulcan:

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing what became of Benteen as well. Also, have we heard from Brunt lately? I know he might not be the most in demand, but I'd like to see him attempting to vex Rom and Leeta a bit.

Wait, was he in "Reservoir Ferengi"? I need to read Seven Deadly Sins again...

JoeZhang January 6 2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Kertrats47 wrote: (Post 7496440)
Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 7496308)

Ummm... okay... :vulcan:

Isn't it obvious that the answer is 'I got it wrong' - do people really need something so obvious discussing in any detail?

lvsxy808 January 6 2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Kertrats47 wrote: (Post 7496440)
Also, have we heard from Brunt lately? I know he might not be the most in demand, but I'd like to see him attempting to vex Rom and Leeta a bit.

Wait, was he in "Reservoir Ferengi"? I need to read Seven Deadly Sins again...

Indeed, Brunt was the starring character in "Reservoir Ferengi", which left him as a freelance debt collector and the star of the TV show Brunt the Bounty Hunter. But like you, I'd like to know how that worked out for him.

tomswift2002 January 6 2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

JD wrote: (Post 7495579)

I don't think anything's been mentioned (maybe the cube was destroyed in Generations) about Moriarty.

But, according to Memory Beta, "Fallen Gods" says that many believe that Thomas Riker died in the prison camp, but nothing had been confirmed.

Of course Thomas Riker did show up in the Millennium Trilogy in command of the USS Opaka.

But for the op, they might want to check out Diane Carey's 1996? novel Ship Of The Line, since Captain Bateson was the first captain of the new Enterprise-E.