The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Best Beyer Voyager Book Thus Far? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=199063)

Odo January 3 2013 07:17 AM

Best Beyer Voyager Book Thus Far?

I'm currently finishing Kirsten Beyer's 'Full Circle' right now, which I have enjoyed, and figured Ms. Beyer has put out enough well-received Voyager material to warrant a poll. This is the only Voyager book I've read thus far, so I won't be participating in the poll, but thought that other readers might be interested in doing so. I myself am not really a Voyager fan, though I have enjoyed a fair share of episodes and believe that Ms. Beyer is pointing Voyager in the right direction. Good work Kirsten!

Violet.Phoenix January 3 2013 07:32 AM

Re: Best Beyer Voyager Book Thus Far?

I've read all of the Voyager relaunch novels, and I absolutely loved Full Circle. Unworthy and Children of the Storm are also great, as is The Eternal Tide (which really has some rewarding surprises in it, IMO).

Other people will probably have varying opinions, but the overall opinion on the relaunch has been very good thus far.

Kertrats47 January 3 2013 07:46 AM

For my money, it has to be Children of the Storm. So many wonderful feelings associated with that novel. To me, it embodied the Star Trek philosophy to its core.

Thrawn January 3 2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Kertrats47 wrote: (Post 7481104)
For my money, it has to be Children of the Storm. So many wonderful feelings associated with that novel. To me, it embodied the Star Trek philosophy to its core.

This for me, too.

Don't get me wrong, Full Circle is a hell of a book, and Eternal Tide is an even more hell of a book (or something...they're both great, is what I'm saying), but CotS really hit the philosophy of Trek perfectly. It's as perfect an encapsulation I've ever seen of why I'm a fan of Star Trek in the first place, with some of Kirsten's most intense and most beautiful writing. Killer novel.

VDCNI January 3 2013 08:28 AM

Children Of The Storm then Full Circle then Eternal Tide for me - Unworthy the only weak book of the bunch.

zarkon January 3 2013 12:52 PM

Of the four for me it was : good, good, fantastic, terrible.

Children of the Storm is a must read.

Relayer1 January 3 2013 12:56 PM

Full Circle for me. They've got steadily worse imho - not that any are less than damned good, but I don't think Children of the Storm or Eternal Tide are in the same league as Full Circle...

Haven't read the String Theory book yet.

Paris January 3 2013 02:41 PM

I loved CotS and really liked both Unworthy and Eternal Tide, but to me, Full Circle is almost perfection. Chakotay finally turned into the character that I always hoped he would and the span of the book (2378-81) was amazing. I loved the Janeway parts as well as the Kahless/Klingon parts :klingon:. The revelation of what "Full Circle" was refering to, was also very cool. So...Full Circle all the way :techman:

Hugh Cambridge January 3 2013 03:30 PM

They are all very good, hard choice to make. I choose Full Circle because it was a real challenge to write a following to the story as it had been left by Golden, but the others are outstanding too.

zarkon January 3 2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Paris wrote: (Post 7481683)
Chakotay finally turned into the character that I always hoped he would

So Chakotay is the real Pinnochio of star trek then

shanejayell January 3 2013 07:58 PM

Voted Full Circle, but it's a real toss up between it, unworthy and children.

Oddly I've grown to really DISLIKE Eternal Tide, sadly.

Ood Sigma January 3 2013 08:07 PM

I voted "Full Circle" by a hair over "Children of the Storm". It was just so epic in scope and everything just felt right.

Next comes "The Eternal Tide" followed closely by "Unworthy".

"String Theory: Fusion" was pretty good but I prefer her post-finale books. Really you can't go wrong with any of them.

Enterprise is Great January 4 2013 12:49 AM

Full Circle. I disliked the String Theory book a lot but then that trilogy bored me no matter who wrote what. All the other books have stuff I like but large parts of each of them are hard for me to get through easily. I blew through Full Circle though.

Claudia January 4 2013 06:39 AM

Children of the Storm.

I liked Full Circle as well but the B'Elanna-bit just dragged on too much. CotS introduces great characters and embodies the spirit of exploration and meeting new life best.

Relayer1 January 4 2013 11:58 AM

Whilst it was certainly a good novel, I don't get the love for Children Of The Storm. When all is said and done its another 'strange new worlds' exploration story, albeit a good one, in a franchise chock full of them. Full Circle was so much more.