The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Tomorrow: 20 Years Ago (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=199027)

Photon January 3 2013 02:35 AM

Tomorrow: 20 Years Ago

ST: Deep Space Nine Began.

I was camped out in front of 19" CRT w/icy cold drink to take in this new Star Trek.

Loved Emissary, hated the next shows and quit.

Gah, wished I'd had stuck w/it

Bumbles861 January 3 2013 02:40 AM

Re: Tomorrow: 20 Years Ago

I am sure you have since made up for it.

R. Star January 3 2013 02:53 AM

Honestly I only sporadically watched DS9 the first two seasons. It wasn't until TNG ended that I was actively tuning in every week. :p

But Emissary is still the best pilot of all the Trek series in my opinion.

JirinPanthosa January 3 2013 03:00 AM

When DS9 first came out, the first episode I saw was The Circle.

Then I saw The Search.

Then I saw Way of the Warrior. I watched it semi-consistently then through the end of season six. Never really liked it much during its original run.

Then when it aired on Spike I watched the whole thing and loved it.

I agree Emissary is the best Star Trek pilot, but there's not exactly a lot of competition in that area. ;)

Tosk January 3 2013 03:06 AM

I didn't get to see it right away, had to wait for the tapes to start showing up. I can honestly say I was smitten from day one. Little did I know though, that it would get better and better.

Man, I spent a lot of money on those tapes. :(

JirinPanthosa January 3 2013 03:14 AM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 7480060)
I didn't get to see it right away, had to wait for the tapes to start showing up. I can honestly say I was smitten from day one. Little did I know though, that it would get better and better.

Man, I spent a lot of money on those tapes. :(

Oh, believe me, if I wasn't living off allowance at the time, I would have bought the entire TNG series, $19.95 two episode VHS at a time.

SiddFinch1 January 3 2013 04:17 AM

Hard to believe.it was.20 years ago

ElimParra January 3 2013 04:49 AM

It was sometime in 1994 or 95, when I first got to watch it. Was hooked early on. Looking forward to meeting both Terry and Nicole, later next month, when they visit australia for a con.

Seventh White Boomer January 3 2013 05:23 AM

It wads probably 1994 or 95 for me too. I rented the VHS of Emissary out and watched it. Really only like the first Borg battle and the attack on the station at the end. The rest was not of interest to my young mind at the time. I didn't get hooked until years later when I rented out "In the Cards"/"Call to Arms" on VHS on a whim. I now count Emissary as one of my favourite episodes.

SantaEddie74 January 3 2013 06:19 AM

It took me a little while to get used to and that first season was kind of rough at times, but DS9 quickly went on to become one of my favorite series in the franchise and I love it to this day.

My local ABC affiliate (which carried classic TOS reruns along with the new syndicated series when I was a kid and growing to adulthood) didn't air "Emissary" until a week or so after January 3rd so some of us had to wait a little while longer to see the first episode, but the wait was well worth it.

Happy Birthday and Anniversary, DS9. For the record, you were no faaaaaaaaaaaake! Just the real deal. :cool:

shivkala January 3 2013 06:26 AM

I watched the first 5 seasons religiously, but then I went to college and didn't have a TV Freshman year, so I had to rely on the few times when the TV in the common area was free. It helped having the dorm advisor and my R.A. be sci-fi fans, which is how I saw "Sacrifice of Angels" before most of the episodes that preceded it during season 6.

I remember watching the pilot and enjoying it. Even better my 8th grade science teacher was a fan and I got every single of his Trek themed bonus points on tests correct. Most were TOS questions, but he did have a DS9 one in honor of the pilot.

More importantly, after being one of only 2 kids who watched TNG regularly in my elementary school, I was surprised to hear a small number of other kids talking about the pilot.

Frontier January 3 2013 08:28 AM

I was late to Trek as a whole, only got into it in 1996. Started watching in DS9's 5th season. Got to see the end of season 5 through the series finale as it aired each week. It's what brought me into the 24th century - I'd been a TOS purist for my first few months until "Trials and Tribble-ations" convinced me to give DS9 (and then TNG and VGR) a try. :)

Still have the original VHS broadcasts of all those episodes, commercials and all, recorded somewhere... amidst a sea of VHS tapes I need to lose! :D

DS9forever January 3 2013 02:59 PM

Happy birthday DS9! Hopefully CBS will announce the DS9 Blu-ray release this year!

Bumbles861 January 3 2013 03:44 PM

Happy Birthday, DS9. It was a great run.

Chris3123 January 3 2013 06:46 PM

Wow, I can't believe it's been 20 years since I first saw DS9. 20 years. :eek:

I was 9 at the time. I was already a Trekkie, having been into TNG for a few years at that point. So of course I wanted to try out this new Star Trek show. I watched Emissary, and I think I liked it. I liked seeing Picard "passing the torch", and it was cool to see a familiar face (O'Brien) as part of the main cast.

I kept watching for pretty much the entire first season, but I stopped watching after The Circle, for some reason. I think I just plain lost interest. I regret this, of course.

I still caught episodes here and there. Missed Jadzia's death, but heard about it on the internet before season 7 started. Watched the season 7 premiere, but I didn't watch again until the finale.

I've caught some reruns since then, but I don't think I've quite seen all of the ones I missed.

Great show, though. :techman: