The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   New Star Trek Into Darkness summary (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=198973)

Tom Riker January 2 2013 08:54 PM

New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

with Earth under terrorist attack from Benedict Cumberbatch's ex-Starfleet employee John Harrison, Kirk is this time forced into a rash decision that breaks a critical Starfleet command, puts his crew in danger & costs him his captain's chair. Now out of uniform and dressed down in space civvies of black leather jackets and boots, our three heroes have separated from the Enterprise and headed off on a mission to try and rectify his mistake...

http://blastr.com/2013/01/new-star-trek-into-darkne.php

Holy crap, Pine did say Kirk had to earn his command in this movie.

Franklin January 2 2013 09:04 PM

Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

Quote:

Tom Riker wrote: (Post 7478227)
with Earth under terrorist attack from Benedict Cumberbatch's ex-Starfleet employee John Harrison, Kirk is this time forced into a rash decision that breaks a critical Starfleet command, puts his crew in danger & costs him his captain's chair. Now out of uniform and dressed down in space civvies of black leather jackets and boots, our three heroes have separated from the Enterprise and headed off on a mission to try and rectify his mistake...

http://blastr.com/2013/01/new-star-trek-into-darkne.php

Holy crap, Pine did say Kirk had to earn his command in this movie.

Sounds exciting, but it reads like a first draft. Does anyone edit these?

Admiral Buzzkill January 2 2013 11:15 PM

What it actually reads like is an interpolation of the official synopsis with a few stray details - some perhaps speculative - by a writer at Empire. It's unlikely this was released as a synopsis by the studio.

Jackson_Roykirk January 3 2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

My Name Is Legion wrote: (Post 7478836)
What it actually reads like is an interpolation of the official synopsis with a few stray details - some perhaps speculative - by a writer at Empire. It's unlikely this was released as a synopsis by the studio.

I agree; the language used sounds odd. Why didn't Empire just tell us where the synopsis comes from?

Plus, who are "our three heroes". Normally, I would assume Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (and I would prefer that). However, I have a funny feeling that it's Kirk, Spock, and Uhura (based on the "spy images" we saw earlier and based on the fact that I think Abrams wants to push Uhura into the limelight to give some gender balance to the main plot players).

Franklin January 3 2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

My Name Is Legion wrote: (Post 7478836)

OK, but then does anybody edit these at Empire? ;)

"... a mission to try and rectify his mistake." UGH!

"... are headed off...." Headed off is past tense, as in "had headed off". "... are heading off...." is better.

And it's sad to see our heroes are separated from the Enterprise. I hope it doesn't end in a messy divorce.

Meh, I'm just being anal retentive I guess.

Admiral Buzzkill January 3 2013 01:29 AM

It's an Internet world; spelling and grammar are assumed to be disposable.

Amasov January 3 2013 02:07 AM

The part that really gets me is...

"Now out of uniform and dressed down in space civvies of black leather jackets and boots"

What? :wtf:

Jackson_Roykirk January 3 2013 02:14 AM

Odd wording aside, I think it's possible that someone at Empire (or some who knows someone at Empire) learned some actual details about the film. What I'm saying is that the gist of this synopsis (no matter how badly written) may still be valid and accurate.

starburst January 3 2013 01:02 PM

Yeh describing them as 'space civvies' and then go on to describe them seems a bit odd, if it were me I would have just written "Now out of uniform, our three heroes have separated from the Enterprise and headed off on a mission to try and rectify his mistake..."

Same with describing Harrison as an ex-employee

King Daniel Into Darkness January 3 2013 01:17 PM

I'm pretty sure this is from the Empire article, not Paramount pictures.

Admiral Buzzkill January 3 2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: (Post 7479862)
Odd wording aside, I think it's possible that someone at Empire (or some who knows someone at Empire) learned some actual details about the film.

It's also possible, and far more likely, that one of their writers is blowing smoke.

Sindatur January 3 2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

My Name Is Legion wrote: (Post 7481965)
Quote:

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: (Post 7479862)
Odd wording aside, I think it's possible that someone at Empire (or some who knows someone at Empire) learned some actual details about the film.

It's also possible, and far more likely, that one of their writers is blowing smoke.

Ye, agree, it looks like some "reporter" took the released synopsis, and the released trailers and snap shots and summed them up in their own way with their own twist on it.

SalvorHardin January 3 2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7481524)
I'm pretty sure this is from the Empire article, not Paramount pictures.

Correct.

The Wormhole January 3 2013 05:47 PM

The only thing that gets me is when they describe John Harrison as an ex-Starfleet employee.

But really, weird wording seems to be the norm for ysnopsis of this movie. "Detonate the fleet" anyone?

Kevin W. January 3 2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 7482364)
The only thing that gets me is when they describe John Harrison as an ex-Starfleet employee.

But really, weird wording seems to be the norm for ysnopsis of this movie. "Detonate the fleet" anyone?

Oh God, I thought I was the only one bothered by that.