The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   A longpig sandwich (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=198790)

JoeZhang December 31 2012 07:38 PM

A longpig sandwich

If I was aboard a federation starship and wanted a human flesh sandwich - would the computer replicate it for me? It is an approximation rather than the real thing so what would be the problem?

Ho Ho Homeier December 31 2012 07:48 PM

Re: A longpig sandwich

You might have to program the replicator with the recipe. And whether you want it as a hoagy, open-faced (mutiple possibilities), barbecued, or as a French dip. And then whether with whole wheat, Italian, sourdough, or kaiser roll.

ITElf December 31 2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 7469185)
If I was aboard a federation starship and wanted a human flesh sandwich - would the computer replicate it for me? It is an approximation rather than the real thing so what would be the problem?

I suppose if you deactivated the Don't Be A Mucky Bugger subroutines....

Then it's Tits On Toast for breakfast and Hairy Arse Soup for lunch!

BillJ December 31 2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 7469185)

Guess people might be a bit concerned if the power went out for an extended period of time... :eek:

Bumbles861 January 1 2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 7469236)
You might have to program the replicator with the recipe. And whether you want it as a hoagy, open-faced (mutiple possibilities), barbecued, or as a French dip. And then whether with whole wheat, Italian, sourdough, or kaiser roll.

And then you have your choices of cheese. It just keeps on getting more difficult.

R. Star January 1 2013 01:50 AM

So a 24th century Hannibal Lecter could order a human liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti?

The Wormhole January 1 2013 01:58 AM

It's a good point, replicators can make meat, and it's not cannibilism if the officer asking for it isn't human.

Wereghost January 1 2013 02:04 AM

I think people will be effectively able to try this out before too long, given that 3D-printed meat is currently being researched.

Apparently we taste like pork, hence the name "longpig". [/Captain Obvious]

Deckerd January 1 2013 02:11 AM

Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 7469236)

I congratulate you on out-Guying Guy.

Ho Ho Homeier January 1 2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Star Grinch wrote: (Post 7470832)
So a 24th century Hannibal Lecter could order a human liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti?

A nice chianti lite, aka synthehol.

Ho Ho Homeier January 1 2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Deckerd wrote: (Post 7470892)
I congratulate you on out-Guying Guy.

Naw, I just remember the days when you could order a sandwich and not have to play Twenty Questions. ;)

teacake January 1 2013 02:17 AM

I like how in the future you can be a vegetarian and still tuck into a juicy steak.

TOFU WILL BE EXTINCT!!!

The Wormhole January 1 2013 02:34 AM

Unless there are people who like the taste of tofu.

teacake January 1 2013 02:38 AM

It will still exist in asian dishes. I just got excited there for a moment.

And you know this should/could kill the whole meat industry. Why make animals suffer and die when you can eat re-sequenced protein versions?

Merry Christmas January 1 2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 7471000)
Why make animals suffer and die when you can eat re-sequenced protein versions?

If it comes out of a hole in the wall, then your passover meal didn't come from a unblemished, one year old male lamb.

:)