The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=198499)

JoeZhang December 28 2012 09:55 PM

Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time

Quote:

t's hard to keep a good Doctor down, especially when there are 11 of them. That's the case this January when IDW Publishing launches "Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time" to coincide with the BBC property's 50th anniversary. "Prisoners of Time" is a 12-issue miniseries featuring all 11 TV incarnations of Doctor Who, a new Doctor every issue each drawn by a different artist.

IDW is entrusting the task of bringing all these Doctors to life to Scott and David Tipton, the sibling writing team behind "Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who: Assimilation2." Joining the Tiptons for the first issue of "Prisoners of Time" is "2000 AD" and "Nikolai Dante" artist Simon Fraser.

The Tiptons spoke with Comic Book Resources about bringing all 11 incarnations of Doctor Who to life for this ambitious new project. They shared details on which villains and companions you can also expect to see, their favorite personal Doctor Who and Doctor Who villains, getting support from the BBC and more.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42842

While any new Who is good news, to me the Tiptons are mediocre at best as writers so I will approach this new series with caution....

Emh December 29 2012 06:21 AM

Re: Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time

Not familiar with the writers but I see this being hit and miss for another reason: 12 issues with 12 different artists. Some might be great, others might be rubbish, but no matter what, there won't be a consistent style and I fear it will make the story jarring. Only time can tell.

Allyn Gibson December 29 2012 02:13 PM

I think of this more as a series of one-shots under an umbrella theme. Since each issue is about a different group of characters and recreates a different production era, different artists is fine to me.

The Wormhole December 29 2012 02:24 PM

My main question is if it's one Doctor per issue, and there's 12 issues, what's issue 12 going to be? All the Doctors teaming up?

Emh December 29 2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 7459690)
I think of this more as a series of one-shots under an umbrella theme. Since each issue is about a different group of characters and recreates a different production era, different artists is fine to me.

If that's the case, that's not so problematic. But, as The Wormhole says, what will issue 12 be? Hm.

Allyn Gibson December 29 2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 7459726)
My main question is if it's one Doctor per issue, and there's 12 issues, what's issue 12 going to be? All the Doctors teaming up?

That's one possibility. The other possibility is that it takes the eleventh Doctor two issues to resolve the overarching plot.

Nick Ryder December 29 2012 09:15 PM

Or it's like how some series do the last issue and have a few pages with each artist and maybe have each Doctor complete his arc.

ToddKent December 29 2012 10:45 PM

I imagine the first and last issues will feature the current Doctor and the other issues will be flashbacks.

Brendan Moody December 29 2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

ToddKent wrote: (Post 7461454)
I imagine the first and last issues will feature the current Doctor and the other issues will be flashbacks.

The first issue is definitely a first Doctor story, so that can't be the plan.

Allyn Gibson December 29 2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Nick Ryder wrote: (Post 7461028)
Or it's like how some series do the last issue and have a few pages with each artist and maybe have each Doctor complete his arc.

Two pages per Doctor? I don't think that's realistic. :)

Nick Ryder December 30 2012 03:01 AM

Sure it is, if done right

Allyn Gibson December 30 2012 03:54 AM

Quote:

Nick Ryder wrote: (Post 7462597)
Sure it is, if done right

I should have been more specific. It's not realistic for the Tiptons. Their writing is very decompressed. They barely get going in two pages. :)

Nick Ryder December 30 2012 04:40 AM

HAHA yeah... I have to track down their work somewhere - but it sounds like Matt Fraction too, takes him for-fricken-ever to get going too.

Allyn Gibson December 30 2012 02:22 PM

Fraction and decompression... *shakeshead*

I was really looking forward to Fraction on Thor a few years ago, as I had loved his mini-series Thor: Ages of Thunder. The first issue of his run came out, I read it, and I thought, "It's good, but it's thin." The next issue came out, and I thought, "It's good, but we're still where we were at the end of the last issue." Ultimately, I said it took Fraction seven issues to do a story that would have taken Walt Simonson one.

The Mirrorball Man December 30 2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Nick Ryder wrote: (Post 7462945)
HAHA yeah... I have to track down their work somewhere - but it sounds like Matt Fraction too, takes him for-fricken-ever to get going too.

There's enough plot in one panel of Casanova to fill dozens of spinoff series.