The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   What happened to Data's emotion chip? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=198451)

Mage December 28 2012 10:16 AM

What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
All I can see on Memory Beta is that it was taken or something during the events in the A Time To... series, but that's it.

Dsven43 December 28 2012 10:39 AM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
How far have you read into the Star trek novels? And to make a long story short...he no longer has that chip. To give you more info would require spoilers to novels after that series. If you want them just give the word. And I ,as well as others ,will fill you in.

Mage December 28 2012 10:42 AM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
Quote:

Dsven43 wrote: (Post 7454779)
How far have you read into the Star trek novels? And to make a long story short...he no longer has that chip. To give you more info would require spoilers to novels after that series. If you want them just give the word. And I ,as well as others ,will fill you in.

I'm all the way up to 'The Body Electric' which should arrive in a few days.

I stopped reading TrekLit for a while, then came back about 2 years ago and ordered in a shit load of books. However, the A Time To... series was not available in the Netherlands anymore. Not complete anyway.

Dsven43 December 28 2012 10:50 AM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
Quote:

Mage wrote: (Post 7454788)
Quote:

Dsven43 wrote: (Post 7454779)
How far have you read into the Star trek novels? And to make a long story short...he no longer has that chip. To give you more info would require spoilers to novels after that series. If you want them just give the word. And I ,as well as others ,will fill you in.

I'm all the way up to 'The Body Electric' which should arrive in a few days.

I stopped reading TrekLit for a while, then came back about 2 years ago and ordered in a shit load of books. However, the A Time To... series was not available in the Netherlands anymore. Not complete anyway.

Well then you know why Data doesnt have that chip anymore. But I think I misunderstood your original question. I was under the impression that you hadnt heard about the resurrection of Data and was asking what happened after "A time to" series. Sorry. If the cannon is right...Geordi should still have it. I know it was installed in B-4 leading to Data's resurrection during the Countdown series (or before) not sure the exact date of the install. So maybe I cant be of help. Sorry.

Mage December 28 2012 10:58 AM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
Quote:

Dsven43 wrote: (Post 7454800)
Quote:

Mage wrote: (Post 7454788)
Quote:

Dsven43 wrote: (Post 7454779)
How far have you read into the Star trek novels? And to make a long story short...he no longer has that chip. To give you more info would require spoilers to novels after that series. If you want them just give the word. And I ,as well as others ,will fill you in.

I'm all the way up to 'The Body Electric' which should arrive in a few days.

I stopped reading TrekLit for a while, then came back about 2 years ago and ordered in a shit load of books. However, the A Time To... series was not available in the Netherlands anymore. Not complete anyway.

Well then you know why Data doesnt have that chip anymore. But I think I misunderstood your original question. I was under the impression that you hadnt heard about the resurrection of Data and was asking what happened after "A time to" series. Sorry. If the cannon is right...Geordi should still have it. I know it was installed in B-4 leading to Data's resurrection during the Countdown series (or before) not sure the exact date of the install. So maybe I cant be of help. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply anyway. :)

Yes, I was wondering about the circumstances that lead to Data's chip being removed in the A Time To... series.

Christopher December 28 2012 02:54 PM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
Well, the real-world circumstances were that Nemesis ignored the fact that the emotion chip had ever existed (after Insurrection had tossed in a throwaway line about Data not taking it with him and then ignoring it from then on), so the books had to deal with the inconsistency.

Freman December 28 2012 03:02 PM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
What I want to know is, what happened to Spot? :)

Mage December 28 2012 04:30 PM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 7455154)
Well, the real-world circumstances were that Nemesis ignored the fact that the emotion chip had ever existed (after Insurrection had tossed in a throwaway line about Data not taking it with him and then ignoring it from then on), so the books had to deal with the inconsistency.


I got that. What I don't know, is the exact circumstances that are descibed in the A Time To... series that explain what happened to it between Insurrection and Nemesis.
Did Data remember where he put it? Did it blow up? Was it stolen? Was it damaging Data and he decide to remove it?

DarkHorizon December 28 2012 05:12 PM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
Quote:

Mage wrote: (Post 7455412)
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 7455154)
Well, the real-world circumstances were that Nemesis ignored the fact that the emotion chip had ever existed (after Insurrection had tossed in a throwaway line about Data not taking it with him and then ignoring it from then on), so the books had to deal with the inconsistency.


I got that. What I don't know, is the exact circumstances that are descibed in the A Time To... series that explain what happened to it between Insurrection and Nemesis.
Did Data remember where he put it? Did it blow up? Was it stolen? Was it damaging Data and he decide to remove it?

IIRC (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong), there was an incident in the first ATT duology where Picard attacked a ship based on Data's recommendation; at a hearing on that event, Starfleet felt that Data's judgement had been compromised by his emotion chip, and Starfleet (specifically, Admiral Nakamura) ordered him to remove it. I don't remember the full details, but it was something along those lines.

diankra December 28 2012 05:13 PM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
It's a few years since I read them, but a bad call by the Enterprise (or something that looks like a bad call until the truth about alien influences emerges) leads to the destruction of another starship and its crew. The Starfleet enquiry into the tragedy comes down hard on Picard and his crew, and one of its decisions is that Data's emotion chip causes him to behave erratically, and that if he wants to stay in Starfleet he'll have to agree to its removal.

That's probably a very rough and ready summary - it has been a few years since reading that series!

Hartzilla2007 December 28 2012 05:38 PM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
Quote:

DarkHorizon wrote: (Post 7455562)
Quote:

Mage wrote: (Post 7455412)
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 7455154)
Well, the real-world circumstances were that Nemesis ignored the fact that the emotion chip had ever existed (after Insurrection had tossed in a throwaway line about Data not taking it with him and then ignoring it from then on), so the books had to deal with the inconsistency.


I got that. What I don't know, is the exact circumstances that are descibed in the A Time To... series that explain what happened to it between Insurrection and Nemesis.
Did Data remember where he put it? Did it blow up? Was it stolen? Was it damaging Data and he decide to remove it?

IIRC (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong), there was an incident in the first ATT duology where Picard attacked a ship based on Data's recommendation; at a hearing on that event, Starfleet felt that Data's judgement had been compromised by his emotion chip, and Starfleet (specifically, Admiral Nakamura) ordered him to remove it. I don't remember the full details, but it was something along those lines.

The best part is that when Starfleet sends Picard and co to stop the thing they didn't believe was running around their its done so in an off the books mission thats covered up so they don't get vindication and corrupt Admiral Nakamura who actually believed them but pretended not to to get his hands on said thing basically labotimzing Data for no reason gets off scott free.

And people say the ending of the miniseries was morally questionable.

tomswift2002 December 29 2012 04:17 AM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
Quote:

Freman wrote: (Post 7455172)
What I want to know is, what happened to Spot? :)

One of the deleted scenes from Nemesis has Spot "adopting" Worf as her guardian, and I think the authors have gone with that, but Spot really hasn't appeared in the books over the past ten years.

Therin of Andor December 29 2012 06:00 AM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
Quote:

Freman wrote: (Post 7455172)
What I want to know is, what happened to Spot? :)

Livingston, Picard's lion fish, survived the crash of the Enterprise-D saucer in "Generations" just long enough to be "rescued" by Spot. Lion fish are poisonous. :devil:

Paper Moon December 29 2012 08:13 AM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
Quote:

tomswift2002 wrote: (Post 7458346)
Quote:

Freman wrote: (Post 7455172)
What I want to know is, what happened to Spot? :)

One of the deleted scenes from Nemesis has Spot "adopting" Worf as her guardian, and I think the authors have gone with that, but Spot really hasn't appeared in the books over the past ten years.

Spot makes an appearance at the beginning of The Persistance of Memory, which, though not critical to the plot, is arguably thematically important. Spot also stars in the last full story of The Sky's The Limit, David McIntee's (or lonemagpie's, if you prefer) "On The Spot."

I'd like to echo the OP's question; the broad strokes of the circumstances around Data's loss of his emotion chip are gathered easily enough from Memory Beta and in-book summaries (disaster at Rashanar, Data is [unfairly {?}] blamed, Nakamura orders his chip removed), but I wouldn't mind getting a little more background on what happened and what the consequences were. Did Nakamura go through official channels? Could Data have challenged? Did he? Was the chip destroyed? Stored? If so, where?

Are those ^^ questions mainly covered in A Time To Die? How bad will it be to read Die without going through Born first?


Claudia December 29 2012 09:32 AM

Re: What happened to Data's emotion chip?
 
Quote:

diankra wrote: (Post 7455565)
The Starfleet enquiry into the tragedy comes down hard on Picard and his crew, and one of its decisions is that Data's emotion chip causes him to behave erratically, and that if he wants to stay in Starfleet he'll have to agree to its removal.

Haven't read the ATT-series, so that's the first thing I read about the removal of the emotion chip. But... but... WTF? What about an ordinary human's emotions that tend to cause erratical decisions all over the board? Too bad we don't have an emotion chip that we can be ordered to remove.

I'd love to learn more about this because how could Picard and the others agree to this? :wtf:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.