The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Adobe Reader update question (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=198367)

indranee December 27 2012 05:23 AM

Adobe Reader update question
 
Hi all, can someone tell me why I can't seem to update Adobe Reader 8 to Adobe Reader 11 on my Windows XP? I was trying to open a pdf and it told me to update it so I dl-ed it, saved it and then ran it. Then, nothing. It wouldn't do anything. When I tried to check for updates again, it keeps saying none are available. It's as if it's updated but it won't let me actually USE the update.

I haven't updated AR in a while. Could that be it?

Any help would be appreciated...

Btw, my system still says I have an AR 8, not AR 11. So I guess it hasn't updated. But it won't let me "find" any more updates.

Santa Claus December 27 2012 08:07 AM

Re: Adobe Reader update question
 
Quote:

indranee wrote: (Post 7450084)
Hi all, can someone tell me why I can't seem to update Adobe Reader 8 to Adobe Reader 11 on my Windows XP? I was trying to open a pdf and it told me to update it so I dl-ed it, saved it and then ran it. Then, nothing. It wouldn't do anything. When I tried to check for updates again, it keeps saying none are available. It's as if it's updated but it won't let me actually USE the update.

I haven't updated AR in a while. Could that be it?

Any help would be appreciated...

Btw, my system still says I have an AR 8, not AR 11. So I guess it hasn't updated. But it won't let me "find" any more updates.

Yeah, your best option is to uninstall and reinstall the program. I get these same issues with Adobe Flash. Of course, I'm one of these people who recommends FoxIt (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/), because it's much faster, much lighter on resources than Adobe Reader, and 100% compatible. It's also free.

indranee December 27 2012 09:01 PM

Re: Adobe Reader update question
 
Thanks for the response and you're right I had to uninstall AR 8. AR 11 installed fine after that. One question: can I have both FoxIt and AR on my system? I'd like to try it.

Solstice December 27 2012 09:03 PM

Re: Adobe Reader update question
 
Yes, you can have both installed, however only one of them can be the default for opening PDFs. But you can easily right-click and choose "Open With..." to pick the program you'd like to use for that instance, so it's not much more cumbersome.

Santa Claus December 27 2012 09:30 PM

Re: Adobe Reader update question
 
What RM said. :D

farmkid December 27 2012 10:49 PM

Re: Adobe Reader update question
 
Quote:

Santa Hooves wrote: (Post 7450345)
Yeah, your best option is to uninstall and reinstall the program. I get these same issues with Adobe Flash. Of course, I'm one of these people who recommends FoxIt (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/), because it's much faster, much lighter on resources than Adobe Reader, and 100% compatible. It's also free.

I've used Foxit for years and much prefer it to Adobe. I thought it was 100% compatible, but I have come across one instance where it is not. There is one .pdf I've downloaded from grants.gov, the US government central website for grant applications, that Foxit cannot open. The website specifically says that you must have Adobe Reader and it will even check your computer for it before it will let you download it. I had to have it as part of a grant application, so I had to download and install Adobe Reader. Once I got it I tried to open it with Foxit and sure enough, Foxit can't open it at all. I don't know why, or why the document couldn't have been made in such a way that other, non-Adobe, pdf software could open it, but nevertheless that's the case here. In spite of that, I still much prefer Foxit to Adobe and that one document is the only one I use Adobe for.

Santa Claus December 27 2012 11:15 PM

Re: Adobe Reader update question
 
Quote:

farmkid wrote: (Post 7452667)
Quote:

Santa Hooves wrote: (Post 7450345)
Yeah, your best option is to uninstall and reinstall the program. I get these same issues with Adobe Flash. Of course, I'm one of these people who recommends FoxIt (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/), because it's much faster, much lighter on resources than Adobe Reader, and 100% compatible. It's also free.

I've used Foxit for years and much prefer it to Adobe. I thought it was 100% compatible, but I have come across one instance where it is not. There is one .pdf I've downloaded from grants.gov, the US government central website for grant applications, that Foxit cannot open. The website specifically says that you must have Adobe Reader and it will even check your computer for it before it will let you download it. I had to have it as part of a grant application, so I had to download and install Adobe Reader. Once I got it I tried to open it with Foxit and sure enough, Foxit can't open it at all. I don't know why, or why the document couldn't have been made in such a way that other, non-Adobe, pdf software could open it, but nevertheless that's the case here. In spite of that, I still much prefer Foxit to Adobe and that one document is the only one I use Adobe for.

Hm. That is odd! I'm glad I haven't come across that problem yet, and I hope it doesn't become common practice by pdf creators.

farmkid December 28 2012 01:28 AM

Re: Adobe Reader update question
 
^I agree wholeheartedly!

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer December 28 2012 02:31 AM

Re: Adobe Reader update question
 
Quote:

Santa Hooves wrote: (Post 7452757)
Quote:

farmkid wrote: (Post 7452667)
Quote:

Santa Hooves wrote: (Post 7450345)
Yeah, your best option is to uninstall and reinstall the program. I get these same issues with Adobe Flash. Of course, I'm one of these people who recommends FoxIt (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/), because it's much faster, much lighter on resources than Adobe Reader, and 100% compatible. It's also free.

I've used Foxit for years and much prefer it to Adobe. I thought it was 100% compatible, but I have come across one instance where it is not. There is one .pdf I've downloaded from grants.gov, the US government central website for grant applications, that Foxit cannot open. The website specifically says that you must have Adobe Reader and it will even check your computer for it before it will let you download it. I had to have it as part of a grant application, so I had to download and install Adobe Reader. Once I got it I tried to open it with Foxit and sure enough, Foxit can't open it at all. I don't know why, or why the document couldn't have been made in such a way that other, non-Adobe, pdf software could open it, but nevertheless that's the case here. In spite of that, I still much prefer Foxit to Adobe and that one document is the only one I use Adobe for.

Hm. That is odd! I'm glad I haven't come across that problem yet, and I hope it doesn't become common practice by pdf creators.

I have, though it is extremely rare. Usually also requires that you have the most current version too, which is annoying.

indranee December 29 2012 12:36 AM

Re: Adobe Reader update question
 
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 7452127)
Yes, you can have both installed, however only one of them can be the default for opening PDFs. But you can easily right-click and choose "Open With..." to pick the program you'd like to use for that instance, so it's not much more cumbersome.

Thanks to both of you. I'll try it.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.