The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=198073)

NewHorizon December 22 2012 05:56 PM

Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
Before going any further, I understand that this may be a wildly unpopular idea, and while I respect that opinion it does not change my feelings on the matter.

So, with that out of the way.

I would like to start up a petition to ask CBS to allow CBS-Digital to fix the problems with Season 2. Yes, this will cost them money but I personally feel that the show is worth it.

I intend to alert Mike Okuda of the petition and ask him to inform CBS of it.

Here is the link to the petition.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fix-stng2-blu/

I am far from the greatest writer, so if anyone would like to suggest revisions for cleaning up the text and making it more professional sounding, then please feel free to contribute and I will fix it.

Even if it never happens, I will know that we at the very least tried.

R. Star December 22 2012 06:00 PM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
Um... are you really expecting them to spend the money to do it all over again and release another edition of season 2? If the fanbase is going to be bringing influence to bear on CBS, I think it would be better spent regarding season 3 or maybe 4 at this point.

NewHorizon December 22 2012 06:06 PM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
Quote:

Star Grinch wrote: (Post 7434793)
Um... are you really expecting them to spend the money to do it all over again and release another edition of season 2? If the fanbase is going to be bringing influence to bear on CBS, I think it would be better spent regarding season 3 or maybe 4 at this point.

We already know Season 3 is being handled by CBS-D and the trailer looked excellent. Season 4 is being handled by another VFX company and we've also been told that CBS is planning to work more closely with them to ensure quality and consistency.

To answer your question, I have ZERO expectations, but it doesn't cost us anything to sign a petition and try.

It may only be one Season out of 7 but if this is the way TNG is going to be for the next 15 or 20 years, then it's worth it to ask for consistency.

Like I said, this may be wildly unpopular, but it's worth trying.

BillJ December 22 2012 06:18 PM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
I just don't think season two is so poor as to need another release done.

jimbotron December 22 2012 07:27 PM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
In a world of limitless resources, I'd be all for this. But if it did happen, it would delay the subsequent seasons, which would not be OK. The project is just way too big to justify, unlike a new restoration of a 2+ hour movie, like with Gladiator or Patton.

Off the top of my head, for every 10 effects shots in Season 2, 6 are underwhelming but satisfactory, 3 are decent, and 1 is a complete screw-up. For every 100 shots of live action, 5 are too grainy, 10 are not grainy enough or are too DNRed, 5 have bluescreen leak, and the rest are decent. A fairly above-average effort from HTV considering their résumé.

Now with Enterprise coming out on Blu-ray, that's pretty much free money for CBS as it will cost very little to release. It will only provide more capital to continue HD restorations of the rest of TV Trek. I'm glad DS9 comes before Voyager chronologically. I would not trust Voyager Blu-ray sales to keep the project alive. I'm done after DS9 Season 7.

Squiggy December 22 2012 07:32 PM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
No. Not everything will be perfect and there's no need to petition to get your way.

We were served a less-than-perfect thing. We're not entitled to anything better.


Consarnit.

T'Girl December 22 2012 08:40 PM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
Quote:

Star Grinch wrote: (Post 7434793)
Um... are you really expecting them to spend the money to do it all over again ...

Maybe after sales of the current blu-rays have peaked and subsided, CBS just might do what he is suggesting.

Somewhat like they would repackage "collections" of episodes to keep Trek fans coming back to buy more and more.

A reedited and reworked (not just SFX) version of TNG could easily bring the fans in for another round of sales. Don't you think?

Reworked scenes, changed dialog, material from the "cutting room floor" (if it still exists), new CGI backgrounds with original actors, All these things will generate sales.

:)

BeatleJWOL December 22 2012 08:41 PM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
I can see the discussion at CBS now.

"Problems? What problems? How many copies did that thing sell again?"

(or, more realistically: "Petition? What petition? On the internet? What's that?" :p)

jimbotron December 22 2012 08:45 PM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
There's no way they're going to start from scratch and pay for a new restoration, and then mail copies out for free to everyone who bought the first set. That would make them eat a lot more money than they're willing to lose.

The alternative would be to start from scratch but only release it in stores to recover the costs. Fans who hated the first set would have to buy season 2 a second time. Fans would be in an uproar and refuse to pay again. CBS would know that, so there's really no realistic way a redo will work to satisfy both their bottom line and the fans, so this will be "good enough" for the foreseeable future.

Borjis December 22 2012 09:01 PM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
i don't see it happening either. they said they were going to go back and fix early eps of the enterprise for the tos-r blu-rays. they never did.

NewHorizon December 22 2012 11:30 PM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
Yet, where is the harm in asking? I wouldn't expect them to mail anything for free, I would pay for a properly done set.

Salinga December 23 2012 04:19 AM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7434859)
I just don't think season two is so poor as to need another release done.

But I think so. Maybe not all episodes / SFX shots, but some need polishing. Sometimes the 1701-D just looks like a bright white blop flying through space. :-/

Trekker4747 December 23 2012 10:16 PM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
An online petition? They'll HAVE to do something! Hey, I'll start one on The White House's website to get things REALLY going!

NewHorizon December 23 2012 11:43 PM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 7438990)
An online petition? They'll HAVE to do something! Hey, I'll start one on The White House's website to get things REALLY going!

Thanks for the thinly veiled sarcasm. Nothing is ever achieved without trying. Being a forum full of Star Trek fans, I would have expected far more open minded attitudes than this.

Online petitions can be useful. If a physical copy has more impact, print it off and send it wherever when a reasonable number has been reached.

Quote:

No. Not everything will be perfect and there's no need to petition to get your way.
Perfection? I never said anything about perfection. Perfection is unattainable, an is in reality unreasonable. Consistency is not unreasonable. This isn't a petition to 'get my way', it's a petition to politely ask CBS if they would consider finding a way to fix this. If they don't, fine, but at least an attempt was made.

Quote:

We were served a less-than-perfect thing. We're not entitled to anything better.
Again, you bring up perfection. Perfection is not the issue here, consistency is. We were served a less-than-Season 1 thing, and as 'consumers' we should be entitled to a consistent product. Considering they expect us to pay the same price for it as Season 1. Perhaps they should have acknowledged the drop in quality with a drop in price, but that wasn't the case.

I don't expect CBS to reissue the entire season for free, that's not right considering it was HTV that screwed up. No, I would happily pay for the revamped version. If they wish to offer people who bought the HTV-Illuminate version a discount on an upgraded CBS-D version, that would be great but I really don't know how they would handle it if they chose to pursue it.

If anyone feels the text of the petition could be worded far more eloquently, and effectively than I have worded it, please feel free to help.

Mott the barber December 24 2012 01:26 AM

Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.
 
Quote:

NewHorizon wrote: (Post 7434766)
Before going any further, I understand that this may be a wildly unpopular idea, and while I respect that opinion it does not change my feelings on the matter.

So, with that out of the way.

I would like to start up a petition to ask CBS to allow CBS-Digital to fix the problems with Season 2. Yes, this will cost them money but I personally feel that the show is worth it.

I intend to alert Mike Okuda of the petition and ask him to inform CBS of it.

Here is the link to the petition.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fix-stng2-blu/

I am far from the greatest writer, so if anyone would like to suggest revisions for cleaning up the text and making it more professional sounding, then please feel free to contribute and I will fix it.

Even if it never happens, I will know that we at the very least tried.


With all due respect, just give it up already. :wtf:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.