The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   TNG: The Body Electric by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=197515)

Sho December 16 2012 03:05 AM

TNG: The Body Electric by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Closing out the year is the final chapter in the Cold Equations trilogy penned by David Mack, The Body Electric (Bradbury or Whitman?). This one promises the return of one Wesley Crusher, continuing the trilogy's work to catch us up on some of the TNG characters we haven't seen in action in a while.

'... We have engaged the Blurb':

Quote:

AT THE CENTER OF THE GALAXY . . .

A planet-sized Machine of terrifying power and unfathomable purpose hurls entire star systems into a supermassive black hole. Wesley Crusher, now a full-fledged Traveler, knows the Machine must be stopped . . . but he has no idea how.

Wesley must enlist the aid of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise crew, who also fail to halt the unstoppable alien juggernaut’s destructive labors. But they soon divine the Machine’s true purpose—-a purpose that threatens to exterminate all life in the Milky Way Galaxy. With time running out, Picard realizes he knows of only one person who might be able to stop the Machine in time to avert a galactic catastrophe—-if only he had any idea how to find him. . . .

THE CLIMAX OF A NEW TRILOGY BY THE BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF STAR TREK: DESTINY
Sadly no excerpt on the book's Simon & Schuster page at this time.

Patrick O'Brien December 16 2012 05:11 AM

Re: TNG: The Body Electric by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Looking forward to this one:bolian:

David Mack December 16 2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

The Body Electric (Bradbury or Whitman?)
More Whitman, but also Peart. :)

Mage December 16 2012 09:56 AM

This one certainly has the oddest title of any Trek book ever I think, with the exception of How Much For Just The Planet. :D

Looking forward to it though, since I feel this one

zarkon December 16 2012 01:00 PM

Are we expecting the first copies to roll out to shelves before or after crimbo?

Quote:

Mage wrote: (Post 7405513)
This one certainly has the oddest title of any Trek book ever I think, with the exception of How Much For Just The Planet. :D

I dunno, some of the Bantam ones were pretty out there

Trek to Madworld
Spock Must Die!
Spock, Messiah!

Something something seventies I guess

rahullak December 16 2012 04:30 PM

Ah just cannot wayt tah get ma haynds on this one!

Reanok December 16 2012 09:54 PM

This novel is certainly at thr top of the list of Startrek books I've been wanting to get and read sometimeafter it finally comes out in a few weeks.Now if only first data novel would come in the mail so I can start read this trilogy at long last.:techman:

Ronald Held December 16 2012 09:58 PM

Already ordered awaiting the download. I wonder who will die or be killed this time. Would we ever see the death of Flint?

Sho December 16 2012 09:59 PM

Killing an immortal, how is a David Mack to resist? :p

Eat-Da-Tribble December 16 2012 10:46 PM

I want to know what happen with SPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just hope s/he won't die, so in the next book we will witness the fierce battle between Data and Worf to see who retains Spot's custody.

I don't want to wait until the 26.

O, please, I need spoilers... NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emh December 17 2012 01:25 AM

I hope to get this book while I'm stateside for Christmas. I would hate having to wait for it to show up on base in Japan. They usually get Star Trek books two, three weeks after everyone else.

rfmcdpei December 18 2012 03:00 AM

Who do I think might die?

rahullak December 18 2012 03:12 AM

<saves up popcorn to see the BBWC crowd fight it out and protest against the grossly unfair death of their beloved character>

Emh December 18 2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

rfmcdpei wrote: (Post 7413541)

I'm currently rereading Immortal Coil (I couldn't before the trilogy because my copy was on the other side of the world at the time) and I really hope Rhea McAdams shows up.

JD December 18 2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

rfmcdpei wrote: (Post 7413541)

I'm torn on this one. He's been a fairly minor character in the franchise for a while now, so his death won't have a big effect on the specific storyline (althought it obviously will on the characters). So on one hand he'd been easy to kill since it won't have a huge effect on any of the ongoing stories, but at the same time that could be a good reason not to kill him off and kill someone who's a bigger player instead.