The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Starships underwater WTF??? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=197224)

King Daniel Into Darkness December 13 2012 11:48 AM

Starships underwater WTF???

We're supposed to believe a huge Federation starship can come down through a planet's atmosphere, descend into a large body of water and submerge itself completely? And remain functional? And then just rise up into space again?? This is completely contrary to anything in established Trek history. Starships go in SPACE, they're not submarines. Only an idiot would think a starship could pull a stunt like that and not be CRUSHED by the crushing forces of H20, nature's deadliest liquid. Every ship that ever sank did so in WATER! And they were built for it! Look what happened to the Klingon ship in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home for more proof!

The Trek I knew is dead, replaced with this unjustified nonsense. Star Trek: Insurrection is not true Star Trek. Screw Rick Berman and his idiotic "kewl" popcorn-movie stunts. Gene Rodenberry would be rolling in his grave. I'm through with Star Trek:angryrazz:

Oso Blanco December 13 2012 12:11 PM

Re: Starships underwater WTF???

Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 7391671)
Every ship that ever sank did so in WATER!

:guffaw:

Tosk December 13 2012 12:24 PM

Heh. I get it.

Triskelion December 13 2012 10:05 PM

Not all starships are submarines. But all submarines are starships.

Nerys Myk December 14 2012 03:56 AM

Especially the DY class. ;)

jhouston6 December 14 2012 07:58 AM

Except when voyager brought a space shuttle underwater and Enterprise brought an alien spaceship underwater and Insurrection which had a cloaked ship underwater. Other than that it hasn't been done.

ITL December 14 2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 7391671)
We're supposed to believe a huge Federation starship can come down through a planet's atmosphere, descend into a large body of water and submerge itself completely? And remain functional? And then just rise up into space again?? This is completely contrary to anything in established Trek history. Starships go in SPACE, they're not submarines. Only an idiot would think a starship could pull a stunt like that and not be CRUSHED by the crushing forces of H20, nature's deadliest liquid. Every ship that ever sank did so in WATER! And they were built for it! Look what happened to the Klingon ship in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home for more proof!

The Trek I knew is dead, replaced with this unjustified nonsense. Star Trek: Insurrection is not true Star Trek. Screw Rick Berman and his idiotic "kewl" popcorn-movie stunts. Gene Rodenberry would be rolling in his grave. I'm through with Star Trek:angryrazz:

I'M ANGRIER THAN I'VE EVER BEEN! POSSIBLY ANGRIER!

cbspock December 14 2012 03:21 PM

Hey, JJ heard Kirk's line in Bread and Circuses "we are from a ship somewhere at sea" and took it literally. LOL

-Chris

Chemahkuu December 14 2012 03:50 PM

It's been 46 years, it's about time she had a bath.

billcosby December 14 2012 05:59 PM

I completely understand the irrational anger, however I would think starships designed in a fictional series would be equipped to enter gas giants, many of which are comprised of liquid materials.
That is all.

marksound December 14 2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

billcosby wrote: (Post 7397176)
I completely understand the irrational anger, however I would think starships designed in a fictional series would be equipped to enter gas giants, many of which are comprised of liquid materials.
That is all.

Keywords: "fictional series"

You're absolutely right. They can do whatever they want, because it's NOT REAL.

Didn't we do this 4 years ago? :lol:

Enterprise is Great December 14 2012 07:26 PM

I'M JUST OUTRAGED! THEY'RE RUINING THE GOSPEL OF STAR TREK! DECEIVERS...YOU ARE NOT OF THE BODY!

TiberiusMaximus December 14 2012 08:25 PM

EDIT: Disregard this post.

Ronald Held December 14 2012 08:53 PM

Check the Trek tech forum for a thread.

MacLeod December 14 2012 10:09 PM

Shields cold in theroy hold back water.