The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   2013 Transmission / Shooting Details (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=197098)

StCoop December 12 2012 01:02 PM

2013 Transmission / Shooting Details

From the new DWM.

Series 7b doesn't start until April.

(So both halves manage to miss screening on those "dark winter nights" that Moffat claimed the delay was to allow the series to move to. And his "more Who than ever" actually turned out to be "one series in two years".)

The Anniversary Special (singular) doesn't shoot until (again) April.

(Anyone who was still holding out for any of Series 8 next year should really give up now.)

ATimson December 12 2012 01:45 PM

Re: 2013 Transmission / Shooting Details

Quote:

StCoop wrote: (Post 7387120)
The Anniversary Special (singular) doesn't shoot until (again) April.

(Anyone who was still holding out for any of Series 8 next year should really give up now.)

Technically I think the Anniversary Special and Christmas 2013 will be part of the Series 8 production block. But series 8 proper? Agreed.

diankra December 12 2012 02:33 PM

I'm not blaming Steve, but any sentence involving the words BBC Wales, Doctor Who, Organise, Brewery and, ahh, Celebration, also has to include the word Couldn't.

Mr Awe December 12 2012 02:41 PM

Sounds like they really need to get their shit together.

The Wormhole December 12 2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

StCoop wrote: (Post 7387120)
Series 7b doesn't start until April.

Meaning we won't have a traditional Easter premiere since Easter 2013 is in March.

Yeah, I know, seasons 2 and 3 didn't premiere Easter weekend, but every other season did, and Planet of the Dead aired Easter weekend 2009 so I think there's enough grounds to call it traditional.

StCoop December 12 2012 03:44 PM

The contrast between that way the BBC/RTD handled the Tennant Gap Year and the way the BBC/Moffat have handled the never-ending Series 7 has been stark.

Moffat coming off Twitter was probably one of the smartest moves he made. The BBC allowing him to keep Spinning wildly before he did one of their worst.

The Wormhole December 12 2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

StCoop wrote: (Post 7387606)
The contrast between that way the BBC/RTD handled the Tennant Gap Year and the way the BBC/Moffat have handled the never-ending Series 7 has been stark.

Hell, we had an eight month gap between the Christmas 2011 special and Asylum of the Daleks which is the longest gap between episodes we've had since Doctor Who's return in 2005. Mind you, not by much, the previous record was seven months between Planet of the Dead and The Waters of Mars.

Still, in 2009 we knew what to expect. IMO, they should have spaced the specials out more evenly over the year, but I suppose there's nothing to complain about. And besides, during those seven months we had Torchwood and SJA (which featured a Doctor cameo) to keep the Whoniverse alive.

When first announcing that seasons would be split, the reason given was because this would decrease the gaps between seasons. Instead it has increased it, and we don't even have spin-offs to keep us entertained. Although we shouldn't blame BBC or Moffat over that. Torchwood wasn't exactly a hit with Miracle Day, and SJA can't continue anymore.

Mr Awe December 12 2012 04:31 PM

Agreed, they should at least get the story straight so we know what to expect.

diankra December 12 2012 04:50 PM

Yes, what adds insult to injury is that no-one can give a straight answer to the simple question:
"Why can't you just make 13 episodes and a Christmas special, as they did for four years in a row."
It's not just the fans who'd like an answer to that: I'd imagine the bosses at BBC1, BBC DVD, Character Options and Worldwide's overseas customers feel the same (you can spot from the profit warnings and circulations figures how these stop-start transmissions are damaging Character and DWM).

Brendan Moody December 12 2012 05:11 PM

And if the current production team can't manage 13+1 annually (which to be fair is, for a show of this scale on British TV, a major undertaking) it may be time to stop making the show in batches that size. A consistent 10+1, although it would inspire fan whining and doom-mongering, might be more practical in the current environment.

StCoop December 12 2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Brendan Moody wrote: (Post 7387951)
And if the current production team can't manage 13+1 annually (which to be fair is, for a show of this scale on British TV, a major undertaking) it may be time to stop making the show in batches that size.

Though one that was managed (with pressure but still managed) for the first four years. Perhaps if the cast and crew weren't heading off on Jollies to America every other month they'd be able to concentrate on making the show?

Anyway, I wouldn't lay long odds on the current production team (and Doctor) being around past the Xmas 2013 Christmas Special. Which will probably result in Series 8 not starting until Autumn 2014, since Chibnall (or whomever) will need to get settled in.

Samurai8472 December 12 2012 06:12 PM

So the wait between the end of series 7 and till the Christmas special will be longer

Things were suppose to get better/quicker not deteriorate.

The original plan of "less time between breaks" seems to be an afterthought now. That only lasted two years

September- Air five episodes

December- Air Christmas special

April- Air 8 episodes

Repeat cycle(Obviously not going to happen)

Brendan Moody December 12 2012 06:16 PM

Right, the question at this point is which is the unusual one: the RTD team for being able to do it, or the Moffat team for not? By all accounts Moffat seems to be a less engaged/obsessive showrunner (fewer rewrites of others' episodes, etc); he does have Sherlock to deal with, which he can't back out of in the way RTD could back out of his commitments to the Who spin-offs, but he's got Gatiss to take some of the slack there (and possibly on Who as well). There's also the question whether the current economic climate makes it harder to get things done on time. I have my suspicions, but my views on other issues are probably coloring them.
Quote:

The original plan of "less time between breaks" seems to be an afterthought now.
I doubt that was ever actually the plan, rather than a convenient way to make the split sound good when it was first announced.

Andrew_Kearley December 12 2012 06:24 PM

I really don't understand why you'd all expect a complete 13 part season every year. I imagine that Moffat's team work to the dictates of BBC scheduling, which would include budgetary concerns, etc. It's not very common for tv shows to come back every year in the same months as before. Extended breaks and revamped schedules are the norm, not the exception.

StCoop December 12 2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Andrew_Kearley wrote: (Post 7388227)
I really don't understand why you'd all expect a complete 13 part season every year.

I can't speak for other people but that's far less an issue for me than things like Moffat calling people stupid for saying that it looked like we were going to end up with fewer episodes than in previous years. Which then turned out to be correct.