The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Riker in First Contact (episode, not the film) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=196966)

indolover December 11 2012 01:13 PM

Riker in First Contact (episode, not the film)

I like how the writers sneaked in a "I had sex with an alien" scene lol..

That said, how can alien species even have sex? :lol:

R. Star December 11 2012 01:25 PM

Re: Riker in First Contact (episode, not the film)

Basic insert slot A into slot B theory applies, even if the slots may be different shapes and in different places.

indolover December 11 2012 01:29 PM

that's if the slots are compatible. lol..

For all one knows inserting may lead to an infection or worse. And not in a bad way, but a "slot" of an alien female may contain material only biologically compatible with males of her species.

R. Star December 11 2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

indolover wrote: (Post 7381186)

For all one knows inserting may lead to an infection or worse. And not in a bad way, but a "slot" of an alien female may contain material only biologically compatible with males of her species.

Voyager's EMH implied that intimate relations with a Bolian can be hazardous to a human's health. :p

sbk1234 December 11 2012 04:24 PM

Well, sex with different species is hardly new in Star Trek. Their first alien EVER, was the result of Human/Vulcan mixing. Then there was Deanna Troi, Kehlar, Belanna Torres, Simon Tarses, and many others whom I can't think of right now.
In fact some other sci-fi, such as Larry Niven's Known Space series, and Babylon 5 have featured races where sexual relations is a formal part of diplomacy, (although Ivonova managed to bluff her way out of it.) I believe in the Larry Niven universe it's called Rishathra.

Mott the barber December 11 2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Star Grinch wrote: (Post 7381732)
Quote:

indolover wrote: (Post 7381186)

Voyager's EMH implied that intimate relations with a Bolian can be hazardous to a human's health. :p

:bolian:

Mojochi December 11 2012 08:55 PM

Well, if nothing else, they could have had Clinton/Lewinsky "Relations"

Eat-Da-Tribble December 11 2012 11:00 PM

After a long exposure to diverse pathogens, he acquired inmunity to a large variety of STD.

Ar-Pharazon December 11 2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Eat-Da-Tribble wrote: (Post 7384102)
After a long exposure to diverse pathogens, he acquired inmunity to a large variety of STD.

Or the standard load of inoculations SF personnel get includes alien STD's.

T'Girl December 12 2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Star Grinch wrote: (Post 7381732)
Voyager's EMH implied that intimate relations with a Bolian can be hazardous to a human's health.

Because of the second set of teeth.

:)

Use of Time December 13 2012 06:48 PM

^ For whatever reason, I read your comment and then your username. It hit my funny bone. I just about spilled my coffee. Well done.

E-DUB December 14 2012 05:48 AM

There was also Harry Kim (Harry Kim?) having sex with the alien woman from the really long ship from "The Disease". He'd only say "It was different."

R. Star December 15 2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

E-DUB wrote: (Post 7395628)
There was also Harry Kim (Harry Kim?) having sex with the alien woman from the really long ship from "The Disease". He'd only say "It was different."

Not all species keep their genitals in the same place, Captain.

GalaxyX December 17 2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

sbk1234 wrote: (Post 7381804)
Well, sex with different species is hardly new in Star Trek. Their first alien EVER, was the result of Human/Vulcan mixing. Then there was Deanna Troi, Kehlar, Belanna Torres, Simon Tarses, and many others whom I can't think of right now.
In fact some other sci-fi, such as Larry Niven's Known Space series, and Babylon 5 have featured races where sexual relations is a formal part of diplomacy, (although Ivonova managed to bluff her way out of it.) I believe in the Larry Niven universe it's called Rishathra.

This has to be probably the thing that irks me the most about Star Trek in general.

Interspecies sex. That doesn't happen on Earth. It wouldn't happen in space.

Any "race" that we are biologically compatible with stops being a race, and become a small variation of the same race! (as it is here on Earth).

To add insult to injury, the Star Trek "pairings" tended to be super hot women with weird looking alien "males". DS9 took it to extremes.

I don't think the reverse was seen much at all.

Dream December 18 2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

GalaxyX wrote: (Post 7412212)
To add insult to injury, the Star Trek "pairings" tended to be super hot women with weird looking alien "males". DS9 took it to extremes.

I don't think the reverse was seen much at all.

That wasn't just on Trek.

It happened all the time on other tv shows and movies so much that it has become a trope. It is especially common on comedies with the dumb average looking husband and the hot wife.