The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Voyager (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Someone to Watch Over Me (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=196963)

Ghost Bones December 11 2012 12:56 PM

Someone to Watch Over Me

I just saw this on TV. What a wonderful episode, it's got to be a Voyager top ten. I don't think I've ever seen it talked about much. Any fans?

R. Star December 11 2012 01:20 PM

Re: Someone to Watch Over Me

Pretty much the holy grail episode of those who think the Doctor and Seven should have hooked up. I think it's a bad match myself, but it makes more sense than Chakotay.

Ghost Bones December 11 2012 03:55 PM

Well I'm not a shipper, I just appreciate it for the characters, story and dialogue. Going by that, I think it's a fantastic episode. The B plot involving Neelix is great too.

Ro_Laren December 11 2012 05:05 PM

I've always liked this episode!

KarenLynn December 11 2012 05:27 PM

I like it too. Their duet is just adorable!

teacake December 12 2012 01:21 AM

It is charming. I know some say the EMH was overstepping doctor/patient boundaries but everyone on the ship is his patient. He's attracted to 7 because she has similar struggles to himself, understanding and claiming humanity (oh so star trek, LOL).

I'm not sure having similar struggles works out well, probably most times it does not. You either end up feeding each others dysfunctions or as would happen in the case of the Doctor and 7 one person moves past the particular psychological drama that bound you together and the relationship no longer works.

All of which is more interesting than the way they ended 7/C in the books, just kind of wandered away without a whimper if I recall correctly. Rather realistic but dull. Better for 7 though to have her starter husband to practice on. A relationship with the doctor would have been entertainingly adversarial for the viewer but not good for 7 herself.

Mach5 December 12 2012 01:28 AM

This ep is easily one of the better ones. I too think that EMH/7 would have been a bad pairing, and actually even worse than Chakotay/7...

Uhm, yeah, Seven should have ended up with Harry. Haters gonna hate. :D

Guy Gardener December 12 2012 01:41 AM

Someone to Watch Over Me... It seems like they should hook up.

11:59... Kathy has a crisis of faith because her gammy told pork pies about her gammy being in the space program. Seven reminds Janeway that believing in a lie is just as reatively authentic as believing in the truth if that lie inspires you to live an exceptional life, ie the ends justify the means.

Relativity... Seven is murdered and accidentally dies half a dozen times, who is then replaced sequentially by several temporal dopplegangers, who post mission, corpses included are alll intergrated back into a new single entity.

Warhead. Seven learns that machines are stupid becuase they can't break their programming even if it means their own death.

Equinox... The Doctor cuts open Sevens skull and probably between scenes licked her brain.

Post Equinox, Seven would not want to be in the same room as the Doctor.

Mach5 December 12 2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Guy Gardener wrote: (Post 7385107)
Equinox... The Doctor cuts open Sevens skull and probably between scenes licked her brain.

How do I make myself unsee???? :eek:

Guy Gardener December 12 2012 02:09 AM

Men. Typical. You're so material and superficial. The brain is by far the sexiest organ in the feminine physique.

R. Star December 12 2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Guy Gardener wrote: (Post 7385260)
Men. Typical. You're so material and superficial. The brain is by far the sexiest organ in the feminine physique.

Are we talking about the definition of brains that Quark gave Leeta? ;)

JirinPanthosa December 12 2012 02:40 AM

Chakotay/Seven is Voyager's Worf/Troi.

Man, if only they'd had a scene in TNG where Troi limps to sickbay, badly injured, and there's a moment where they both wordlessly realize it's over.

If Seven was going to have a love interest in Voyager I think Kim would have worked the best. They had the established attraction and the whole aggressive woman/passive man thing.

Guy Gardener December 12 2012 02:41 AM

If breasts could think, there would be a war and we'd lose.

teacake December 12 2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 7385401)
Chakotay/Seven is Voyager's Worf/Troi.

Worf/Troi is the stupidest relationship ever. Unless Troi actually gets off on aggressive feelings flooding her Betazoid perceptions every minute of the day. I can't even imagine what Worf saw in her, at least Jadzia could move effortlessly into the buddy zone and hang out with the guy as well as be his lover.

Guy Gardener December 12 2012 03:24 AM

Dee could change Worf. It didn't matter what she started off with, after a couple years of marriage, he would be exactly the man she deserved.