The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   And Cumberbatch's Character Is? [spoilers] (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=196888)

TrekToday December 11 2012 12:20 AM

And Cumberbatch's Character Is? [spoilers]

A new image and information released by Paramount Pictures today reveals the character played by Benedict Cumberbatch in Star Trek into Darkness. The image and name will be behind to cut, so that those avoiding spoilers will stay spoiler-free. According to Paramount, Cumberbatch will be playing John Harrison. Could this be the “Harrison” who served [...]

More...

Shilliam Watner December 11 2012 12:26 AM

Re: And Cumberbatch?s Character Is?

Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 7378615)
A new image and information released by Paramount Pictures today reveals the character played by Benedict Cumberbatch in Star Trek into Darkness. The image and name will be behind to cut, so that those avoiding spoilers will stay spoiler-free. According to Paramount, Cumberbatch will be playing John Harrison. Could this be the “Harrison” who served [...]

More...

Interesting:

Lt Harrison (Ron Veto) appeared in 27 episodes of the original series compared to Lt Kyle (John Winston) who appeared in 11.

arch101 December 11 2012 12:29 AM

So, if the villain is a known crew member, should we now be looking at all the alien-posession types from TOS? Redjac maybe? Sargon? Could be a brilliant move personifying the villain as a minor background character.

Dukhat December 11 2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Shilliam Watner wrote: (Post 7378645)
Lt Harrison (Ron Veto) appeared in 27 episodes of the original series compared to Lt Kyle (John Winston) who appeared in 11.

How many times are you going to post this? It's obviously not him.

Mr. Laser Beam December 11 2012 12:41 AM

^ Obviously? How do you figure?

Flux Capacitor December 11 2012 12:47 AM

This just reads as more misdirection from TPTB.

The Wormhole December 11 2012 12:47 AM

I'm surprised they didn't make him Mr. Kyle. Kyle's British and appeared in TWOK, which of course every Trek movie tries to be like these days.

Dukhat December 11 2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 7378759)

Because it's ridiculously stupid, that's why.

I'll tell you what: If BC's character turns out to be the same guy as some random extra who nobody knows, I'll run naked throughout my neighborhood and have my wife film it so you can see it. That's how confident I am that it's not him.

Deal?

The Wormhole December 11 2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Dukhat wrote: (Post 7378819)
Quote:

I'll tell you what: If BC's character turns out to be the same guy as some random extra who nobody knows, I'll run naked throughout my neighborhood and have my wife film it so you can see it. That's how confident I am that it's not him.

Deal?

Even if the movie doesn't actually confirm he is the same character, everyone is going to assume he is anyway. And when Pocket Books is finally able to do novels set in the Abramsverse, they may well decide to make the connection.

Dukhat December 11 2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 7378861)
Even if the movie doesn't actually confirm he is the same character, everyone is going to assume he is anyway.

Not to steal Mr. Laser Beam's thunder, but how do you figure that?

Mr. Laser Beam December 11 2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't be the first time.

Dukhat December 11 2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 7378867)
Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't be the first time.

The only thing I thought was ridiculously stupid in the first film was Kirk getting command of the Enterprise while only a (Lt.) cadet.

This would be five million times more stupid.

I doubt Orci and Kurtzman even knew who this Lt. Harrison joker was.

The Wormhole December 11 2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Dukhat wrote: (Post 7378864)
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 7378861)
Even if the movie doesn't actually confirm he is the same character, everyone is going to assume he is anyway.

Not to steal Mr. Laser Beam's thunder, but how do you figure that?

We Trekkies have made similar connections based on less evidence. As long as the movie doesn't blatantly make it clear that he isn't the same guy, and considering how little is known about Harrison Prime I don't see how that is possible.

But then again, this is the same forum which won't accept that Bolians are members of the Federation since it was never stated clearly, so what do I know?

Mr. Laser Beam December 11 2012 01:01 AM

^ Unless Cumby's character's name is never actually revealed in the film, I don't see what there is to "assume". Either he is Harrison or not; either he is Garth or not; etc. Whatever his name is said to be, that IS who he is. What's to assume?

SalvorHardin December 11 2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What makes it so ridiculously stupid exactly? I'm curious.