The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   blue ray - further extended cuts? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=195682)

FreddyE November 30 2012 09:34 AM

blue ray - further extended cuts?

Iīm really looking forward to the extended cut of Measure of a Man. That got me thinking, do we know of any other episodes that had significantly more material filmed (meaning more then just 2 or 3 minutes) then was used?

MikeS November 30 2012 12:56 PM

Re: blue ray - further extended cuts?

Shades of Grey had over 30 hours of footage that was cut back.

Tom Riker November 30 2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

MikeS wrote: (Post 7325509)
Shades of Grey had over 30 hours of footage that was cut back.

*snortle.*

You win. :guffaw:

erastus25 November 30 2012 04:11 PM

Interviews accompanying the episodes last night said that the only reason the extended cut of MoaM exists is b/c an unfinished and unofficial copy was snuck out to Melinda Snodgrass and she happened to hang on to it. If not for that, the scenes would have been lost. That makes me think that, as a rule, cut scenes weren't saved so we'll need another situation where a crew member randomly happens to have saved a rough cut for some reason. Seems fairly unlikely to happen more than maybe one or two times.

MikeS November 30 2012 08:27 PM

The extended episode is being shown in HD (not just upscaled from VHS). Therefore the scenes that were originally cut from the episode must have existed seperately of Melinda's tape.

The tape has provided instructions for putting the ingredients together, but all the ingredients (including cuts/bloopers etc) are stored in that mountain ready to be "HD'd".

Ro_Laren November 30 2012 09:41 PM

^ What tape? Measure of a Man had a deleted scene?

trekker670 November 30 2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Ro_Laren wrote: (Post 7327498)

It had several deleted and/or extended scenes that were restored to the episode. The tape was used as a reference on how to cut in the original content to fit with both the writer and director's artistic intent.

Tom Riker December 1 2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

12 minutes worth

RAMA December 1 2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Tom Riker wrote: (Post 7328185)
Quote:

12 minutes worth

The re-inserted cuts were fantastic, and yes, they did find the film elements to make them HD.

FreddyE December 3 2012 08:38 AM

If they found those film elements, isnīt it pretty save to assume that they stored the elements of ALL cut scenes? I mean..why would you store the cut scenes of specifically one episode, but none of any other episodes?

I just remembered...there seems to be at least one cut scene from that episode with those frozen fish aliens. Apperantly them waking up was a longer sequence than what we got to see.

Dac December 3 2012 05:07 PM

They stored everything they filmed on a days shooting, as everything they shot was converted to vhs quality intermediate for editing the show way back when, so everything they shot exists in 35mm film, assuming any reels haven't been lost in the 20 years since (which according to the CBS team doing the remaster, is the case but only in a few shots out of the tens of thousands they're dealing with).

I think that the pace of the show as it was, most of what they filmed they used unless it was an outtake. They should have had the experience to only shoot what they needed the longer the show went on.

Trekker4747 December 3 2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

FreddyE wrote: (Post 7337803)
If they found those film elements, isnīt it pretty save to assume that they stored the elements of ALL cut scenes? I mean..why would you store the cut scenes of specifically one episode, but none of any other episodes?

I just remembered...there seems to be at least one cut scene from that episode with those frozen fish aliens. Apperantly them waking up was a longer sequence than what we got to see.

They likely have all of the deleted scenes/cuts they need to make re-assembling the episodes more of a chore. But the key with MoaM is that they had Snodgrass' "bootleg" tape of the episode assembled BEFORE those cuts were made. This would provide them a reference point from which to put together the episode. If they were to make "extended cuts" of other episodes they'd either need a tape of the extended episode to know how to recreate it or some other way to know how to reassemble the episode, from scratch. That or it'd be a lot more work to make extended episodes.

BillJ December 3 2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 7340671)
Quote:

FreddyE wrote: (Post 7337803)

They likely have all of the deleted scenes/cuts they need to make re-assembling the episodes more of a chore. But the key with MoaM is that they had Snodgrass' "bootleg" tape of the episode assembled BEFORE those cuts were made. This would provide them a reference point from which to put together the episode. If they were to make "extended cuts" of other episodes they'd either need a tape of the extended episode to know how to recreate it or some other way to know how to reassemble the episode, from scratch. That or it'd be a lot more work to make extended episodes.

Do the original shooting scripts still exist?

Harvey December 3 2012 11:24 PM

CBS should have access to them. Many original shooting scripts are also available in the Ronald D. Moore papers at USC.

Are these shooting scripts? (http://antoa.com/tng/)

Vanyel December 4 2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Dac wrote: (Post 7339147)
They stored everything they filmed on a days shooting, as everything they shot was converted to vhs quality intermediate for editing the show way back when, so everything they shot exists in 35mm film, assuming any reels haven't been lost in the 20 years since (which according to the CBS team doing the remaster, is the case but only in a few shots out of the tens of thousands they're dealing with).

I think that the pace of the show as it was, most of what they filmed they used unless it was an outtake. They should have had the experience to only shoot what they needed the longer the show went on.

Most, if not all, TV shows and movies film more than what they need. In editing the director and editor cut out what they think detracts from the story, and keep cutting till they have enough for the time slot. Having 12 minutes of extra footage is not uncommon. Having 12 minutes that actually add to what is already a good episode is uncommon.