The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=195598)

los2188 November 29 2012 09:00 PM

USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
I thought a few of you might be interested in this semi-reunion of sorts. :)

http://articles.dailypress.com/2012-...owered-carrier

T'Girl November 29 2012 09:10 PM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
Great, on the last steps of her long journey, and they run her aground.

Captain Rob November 30 2012 10:43 AM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
I was glad to see Enterprise make it home safely from the Persian Gulf. I had read some rumors that the Obama administration wanted to use it as bait for the Iranians to shoot missiles at. Just to start another war. They figured Enterprise warranted a heroic death and it was just too expensive to turn it into a museum or scrap it. I guess it was easier to sacrifice an ambassador and some staff in Libya instead.
It really turns my stomach that Enterprise is being retired early without a replacement ready. All of those crew now get to head for the unemployment line.

Sci November 30 2012 04:20 PM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
Quote:

Captain Rob wrote: (Post 7325257)
I was glad to see Enterprise make it home safely from the Persian Gulf. I had read some rumors that the Obama administration wanted to use it as bait for the Iranians to shoot missiles at. Just to start another war. They figured Enterprise warranted a heroic death and it was just too expensive to turn it into a museum or scrap it. I guess it was easier to sacrifice an ambassador and some staff in Libya instead.

These accusations are absurd and offensive -- and have nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand. Your dislike of the President need not bleed into every conversation.

Haggis and tatties November 30 2012 05:45 PM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
It's cool that the Shat will attand the ceremony.......let's hope he has more luck with this Enterprises inactivation ceremony than he did in Generation Enterprises launch ceremony. lol

Avon November 30 2012 06:10 PM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
wow thats some incredible anti-obama bullshit to dump in this thread, captain rob.

therefore i shall counteract that random statement of non-fact with this; george w bush wanted to used the spaceshuttle enterprise to build a pedophile colony on the moon for all his pedophile friends.

on topic: they should get walter koening to sneak around the ship a la st4, whispering 'wessels' to passers by

SimpleLogic November 30 2012 06:17 PM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
Quote:

Haggis and tatties wrote: (Post 7326406)
It's cool that the Shat will attand the ceremony.......let's hope he has more luck with this Enterprises inactivation ceremony than he did in Generation Enterprises launch ceremony. lol

The bad thing is the Nexus comes through that area at that time. Look out Kirk.:guffaw:

Haggis and tatties December 1 2012 03:58 PM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
Quote:

SimpleLogic wrote: (Post 7326583)
Quote:

Haggis and tatties wrote: (Post 7326406)
It's cool that the Shat will attand the ceremony.......let's hope he has more luck with this Enterprises inactivation ceremony than he did in Generation Enterprises launch ceremony. lol

The bad thing is the Nexus comes through that area at that time. Look out Kirk.:guffaw:

:lol:

And even worse, nothing gets made inactive till Tuesday.:eek::lol:

J.T.B. December 1 2012 08:11 PM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
SecNav just announced that CVN-80 will be named Enterprise. I predicted some time earlier that the name would not be re-used on a CVN, I am happy to say I was wrong!

Justin

Captain Rob December 1 2012 11:52 PM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
Do you have link for that announcement? I can't find anything right off. I will be very happy if it's true.
Is anyone worried about the next carrier being named after President Ford? I hope that it doesn't accidentally run into anything on the way to it's commisioning ceremony.
I sincerely apologize to anyone that I may have offended with my previous post. It just really irritates me that with all of the shiploads of money that have been overspent by the government over the last few years. That a little of it couldn't have been used to properly fund NASA and to convert Enterprise into a museum ship. And I'm still ticked that the Johnson Space Center in Houston only got a mock-up of a space shuttle.

Nevermind. I found the video of the SecNav's announcement today. Absolutely fantastic! CVN-80!

Just had to add this:
The Admiral that's Chief of Naval Operations and led the ceremony today, made a Star Trek joke during his speech.
He mentioned that if the Enterprise was to stay in service much longer that it might get outfitted with lasers. And might someday be firing photon torpedoes.
What the F?

Robert D. Robot December 3 2012 05:16 PM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
Quote:

Captain Rob wrote: (Post 7325257)
I had read some rumors that the Obama administration wanted to use it as bait for the Iranians to shoot missiles at. Just to start another war.

wow. I think someone needs to create a coo coo clock emoticon for this "rumor". Even Glenn Beck thinks this "rumor" is nutty and embarrassing.

To decommission a nuclear vessel, they apparently have to rip huge holes in the hull to properly remove and dispose of the nuclear reactor and other related components, making Enterprise practically unsuitable for conversion to a museum. I love Trek and the Navy, but the money is better spent elsewhere.

Robert D. Robot December 3 2012 05:24 PM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
Quote:

Captain Rob wrote: (Post 7325257)
I guess it was easier to sacrifice an ambassador and some staff in Libya instead.

Yeah, the line about using Enterprise as bait was bad enough, but this line about "sacrificing" our ambassador is offensive and just plain stupid.

R. Star December 3 2012 07:29 PM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
Children, can you keep politics off of one freaking thread?

Mark_Nguyen December 3 2012 10:47 PM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
Here's an article about CVN-80 being named Enterprise:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/break...0,764621.story

Every Trek fan will be happy for this! We've had the old Enterprise in service for the entirety of the franchise history until now; it would be tragic not to have a ship named Enterprise around - or at least planned to be around.

Now, while the CVN-80 Enterprise won't be commissioned until 2025-2027, keep in mind that the hull is designed to be in service for a whopping 50 years MINIMUM - for comparison, the previous Enterprise was designed for 25 years and more than doubled it. Our next Enterprise will be with us for a good long time!

Mark

N-121973 December 4 2012 12:22 AM

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony
 
Quote:

Mark_Nguyen wrote: (Post 7341223)
Here's an article about CVN-80 being named Enterprise:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/break...0,764621.story

Every Trek fan will be happy for this! We've had the old Enterprise in service for the entirety of the franchise history until now; it would be tragic not to have a ship named Enterprise around - or at least planned to be around.

Now, while the CVN-80 Enterprise won't be commissioned until 2025-2027, keep in mind that the hull is designed to be in service for a whopping 50 years MINIMUM - for comparison, the previous Enterprise was designed for 25 years and more than doubled it. Our next Enterprise will be with us for a good long time!

Mark

Yeah, by that reckoning its successor will be the NX-01 ;).

PS you do realise all those wall displays of previous Enterprises in Star Trek are now no longer canon :devil:.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.