The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   New Frontier? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=195106)

Dsven43 November 25 2012 10:37 AM

New Frontier?

Is it really done? I hope not. Does anyone have any recent details?

F. King Daniel November 25 2012 11:26 AM

Re: New Frontier?

All we know is that Peter David's contract expired with Blind Man's Bluff and he hasn't yet been invited to return. There's been no confirmation that this is "the end" - even if the current editor isn't interested in more NF, Pocket's been going through editors like redshirts these past few years.

DS9forever November 25 2012 04:53 PM

I think the novel line is more likely to survive if it just sticks to publishing novels about the five television series. Is there even a new Titan novel planned?

Fer November 25 2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

DS9forever wrote: (Post 7301485)
I think the novel line is more likely to survive if it just sticks to publishing novels about the five television series. Is there even a new Titan novel planned?

Well, we haven't heard what the remaining four books of The Fall are going to cover yet, so Titan may be starring in one of those. (Now that you mention it, unless one of those books focuses on Voyager, there won't be a Voyager book next year either.)

JD November 25 2012 07:08 PM

Is Kirsten Beyer's next Voyager novel not coming out next year?

Defcon November 25 2012 07:16 PM

She has already said that the next Voyager novel most likely won't be out before early 2014.

Fer November 25 2012 07:26 PM

It's not on the schedule yet, and assuming that The Fall runs five months in a row, there isn't really any room for it.

JAN: TNG Cold Equations III: The Body Electric by David Mack

FEB: TOS Allegiance in Exile by David R. George III

MAR: TOS Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel

APR: TOS The Weight of Worlds by Greg Cox
TNG: The Stuff of Dreams by James Swallow (eBook)

MAY: TOS The Folded World by Jeff Mariotte
Star Trek Into Darkness novelization by Alan Dean Foster [Book announced, date assumed to tie in with the movie's release date.]

JUN: TOS The Shocks of Adversity by William Leisner

JUL: ENT Rise of the Federation by Christopher L. Bennett

AUG: TOS From History's Shadow by Dayton Ward

SEP: The Fall, Book 1: Time and Revelation by Davd R George III

Presumably, October, November and December would be The Fall Books 2, 3 and 4, but we don't really know that for sure yet.

Which, just to bring this thread back onto topic, means that if one of the Fall books isn't a New Frontier tie-in then it would appear that this is one more year without NF. And after hearing how the current editorial regime hasn't been talking to several of the previous authors, I don't think we're going to see anything else from Peter David until the current editor leaves.

It's disappointing, but I have no doubt that someday, someone in charge will say "Yeah, that New Frontier line used to do pretty well for us. Let's give it another try." We just have to be patient.

Allyn Gibson November 25 2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Fer wrote: (Post 7301893)
Which, just to bring this thread back onto topic, means that if one of the Fall books isn't a New Frontier tie-in then it would appear that this is one more year without NF. And after hearing how the current editorial regime hasn't been talking to several of the previous authors, I don't think we're going to see anything else from Peter David until the current editor leaves.

Except in this case, the current editor (that being Ed Schlesinger) was the editor of the last few New Frontier novels. So it's not like he hasn't worked with PAD in the past.

Fer November 25 2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 7302019)
Quote:

Fer wrote: (Post 7301893)

Except in this case, the current editor (that being Ed Schlesinger) was the editor of the last few New Frontier novels. So it's not like he hasn't worked with PAD in the past.

Oh. That is a bit different. Shows how much I know...

ryan123450 November 25 2012 09:18 PM

WE WANT ONE LAST NEW FRONTIER NOVEL! WE WANT ONE LAST NEW FRONTIER NOVEL! WE WANT ONE LAST NEW FRONTIER NOVEL! Come on Ed! We're chanting outside your window. Give in to our pleas!

Daddy Todd November 25 2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

ryan123450 wrote: (Post 7302298)
WE WANT ONE LAST NEW FRONTIER NOVEL! WE WANT ONE LAST NEW FRONTIER NOVEL! WE WANT ONE LAST NEW FRONTIER NOVEL! Come on Ed! We're chanting outside your window. Give in to our pleas!

There may be just as many who DON'T want another New Frontier novel (or simply don't care one way or the other) as those who do.

I mean, if they were still selling like hotcakes, the PTB would put one into production. If, however, sales have declined to a point where they no longer support PAD's paycheck (which may very well be higher than that of other Trek authors, given his high profile in non-Trek publishing) then we won't see another New Frontier any time soon.

F. King Daniel November 26 2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 7302019)

Didn't Blind Man's Bluff have some minor continuity errors vs. the rest of the novelverse? You know, kinda like Indistinguishable From Magic did...

Allyn Gibson November 26 2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

KingDaniel wrote: (Post 7303192)
Didn't Blind Man's Bluff have some minor continuity errors vs. the rest of the novelverse? You know, kinda like Indistinguishable From Magic did...

Yes, but that's normal for New Frontier. :)

New Frontier has never really lined up with the other novels. I think of New Frontier in much the same way I think of the Shatner novels -- they're off in their own little continuity bubbles, and occasionally those bubbles intersect with the bubbles where everyone else plays. There can be a Mackenzie Calhoun and an Excalibur in the Novelverse, but they may not be exactly the same as PAD's Calhoun and Excalibur.

shanejayell November 26 2012 03:07 AM

I'm with the group happy to see New Frontier either gone or with a final 'wrap up' book. I liked the first chunk of books, but I think it's been in decline for awhile. Give PAD a last book to tie things up and end it.

Allyn Gibson November 26 2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

shanejayell wrote: (Post 7303516)
I'm with the group happy to see New Frontier either gone or with a final 'wrap up' book. I liked the first chunk of books, but I think it's been in decline for awhile. Give PAD a last book to tie things up and end it.

I'd be interested in that. Let it come to a triumphant close, rather than meekly fading away.