The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Sayings that you hate now (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=194701)

Miss Chicken November 21 2012 03:54 AM

Sayings that you hate now
 
or hated as a child

For me it was "Eat all you rvegetables because there are children starving in .......... (whatever country can currently be inserted, when I was a child it was Biafra). How can me eating more than I wanted to help them? I never used this argument with my children.

Tosk November 21 2012 04:06 AM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
"Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about."

Maestro November 21 2012 04:08 AM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 7284499)
"Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about."

I use this one on my daughter. And I have no shame about it, either.

SeerSGB November 21 2012 04:09 AM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
As a kid: "Wait till you get home" Well, hells, if I'm getting a punishment anyway bide as well make it worth the effort.

As an adult: YOLO (You Only Live Once) - Usually said right before someone does something stupid or dangerous or both.

Quote:

Miss Chicken wrote: (Post 7284463)
or hated as a child

For me it was "Eat all you rvegetables because there are children starving in .......... (whatever country can currently be inserted, when I was a child it was Biafra). How can I eating more than I wanted to help them? I never used this argument with my children.

That one always made me think: Then shouldn't I eat less so they can have some of my food?

Miss Chicken November 21 2012 04:13 AM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
Quote:

SeerSGB wrote: (Post 7284511)
As a kid: "Wait till you get home" Well, hells, if I'm getting a punishment anyway bide as well make it worth the effort.

As an adult: YOLO (You Only Live Once) - Usually said right before someone does something stupid or dangerous or both.

Quote:

Miss Chicken wrote: (Post 7284463)
or hated as a child

For me it was "Eat all you rvegetables because there are children starving in .......... (whatever country can currently be inserted, when I was a child it was Biafra). How can I eating more than I wanted to help them? I never used this argument with my children.

That one always made me think: Then shouldn't I eat less so they can have some of my food?

I think most children think that, I know I certainly did.

Maestro November 21 2012 04:14 AM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
Quote:

Miss Chicken wrote: (Post 7284517)
Quote:

SeerSGB wrote: (Post 7284511)
As a kid: "Wait till you get home" Well, hells, if I'm getting a punishment anyway bide as well make it worth the effort.

As an adult: YOLO (You Only Live Once) - Usually said right before someone does something stupid or dangerous or both.

Quote:

Miss Chicken wrote: (Post 7284463)
or hated as a child

For me it was "Eat all you rvegetables because there are children starving in .......... (whatever country can currently be inserted, when I was a child it was Biafra). How can I eating more than I wanted to help them? I never used this argument with my children.

That one always made me think: Then shouldn't I eat less so they can have some of my food?

I think most children think that, I know I certainly did.

My sister always retorted, "Well, then send it to 'em!"

Tom Hendricks November 21 2012 04:31 AM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
I always and I mean always hated the term "Hoss." Back in the 80's it was a popular term to call a friend. Like "What's up Hoss," I would tell who ever said it to never use that word infront of me again, it's like nails on a chalk board for me. Seriously, don't use it.

Gul Re'jal November 21 2012 06:08 AM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
"Stop complaining, there are people in worse situation than yours."

Grrrr... there are, so what?! If I have a broken leg and someone else had two broken legs, my broken leg doesn't hurt me any less just because someone has two broken legs!

auntiehill November 21 2012 06:48 AM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
"BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!"

Anyone who has ever dealt with kids has probably said this at some point, or at least heard it when they were kids. I try very hard not to say it to my nieces and nephew because it's a total BS line.

Jimi_James November 21 2012 07:08 AM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
There's only one rule. There are no rules.

This annoys me to no end. If there are no rules, then how can there only be one rule!

lurok November 21 2012 01:02 PM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
Do as I say, not as I do. Hypocrisy.

Naira November 21 2012 01:20 PM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

No, it does not. I do believe that having an optimistic attitude somehow helps but the universe does not conspire in helping you! You have to work hard and do your share.

Starkers November 21 2012 01:45 PM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 7284499)
"Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about."

Ah the classics are the best!

Quote:

Gul Re'jal wrote: (Post 7284850)
"Stop complaining, there are people in worse situation than yours."

Grrrr... there are, so what?! If I have a broken leg and someone else had two broken legs, my broken leg doesn't hurt me any less just because someone has two broken legs!

Yeah I hate that. At the end of the day whatever your situation you can guarentee someone, somwhere, will have it worse...like you say, this doesn't really help you!

Deranged Nasat November 21 2012 01:59 PM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
Quote:

Starkers wrote: (Post 7285660)
Quote:

Gul Re'jal wrote: (Post 7284850)
"Stop complaining, there are people in worse situation than yours."

Grrrr... there are, so what?! If I have a broken leg and someone else had two broken legs, my broken leg doesn't hurt me any less just because someone has two broken legs!

Yeah I hate that. At the end of the day whatever your situation you can guarentee someone, somwhere, will have it worse...like you say, this doesn't really help you!

I also dislike that one. Especially because it often seems to imply an accusation of selfishness, as though by discussing your own suffering you're somehow discounting other people's - when you're doing no such thing, and instead it's the person saying this who's discounting yours. Even when they mean well it's annoying. My grandmother says it sometimes (minus the aggressive "stop complaining" part) to try and prompt me out of my depressive episodes; she means no harm, but she doesn't seem to understand that depression warps your perceptions and your thinking, so even if you objecively acknowledge your relative good fortune, that does nothing to ease your subjective suffering, and you can't break out of that suffering just by acknowledging some hierarchy of pain.

macloudt November 21 2012 02:17 PM

Re: Sayings that you hate now
 
Quote:

auntiehill wrote: (Post 7284976)
"BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!"

Anyone who has ever dealt with kids has probably said this at some point, or at least heard it when they were kids. I try very hard not to say it to my nieces and nephew because it's a total BS line.

Along the same lines, my dad always used the line "parents don't need reasons". I hated that more than "because I said so".


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.