The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Most unjustly hated episode (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=194686)

JirinPanthosa November 21 2012 12:58 AM

Most unjustly hated episode

My vote is "The Royale". I think it's one of the funniest episodes in the series.

Greg Cox November 21 2012 01:03 AM

Re: Most unjustly hated episode

I have a soft spot for "Catspaw," which gets maligned a lot. Hey, it's a special Halloween episode by the author of PSYCHO. What's not to love?

(I think people overlook that fact that the ep, which originally on October 27, 1967, was just intended to be a fun Halloween treat, and works perfectly well in that respect.)

Valin November 21 2012 01:06 AM

"Spock's Brain." for all it's campiness, it's still more entertaining than most of 1980's- 2000's Trek.

teacock November 21 2012 01:08 AM

Threshold. Three quarters of the way through a standard sci fi tech story the whole episode drops some acid. What's not to love?

MacLeod November 21 2012 01:08 AM

One of the things I remember about the Royale aside from it being a poor episode is it quoting a tempature lower than absolute zero.

Greg Cox November 21 2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 7283917)
Threshold. Three quarters of the way through a standard sci fi tech story the whole episode drops some acid. What's not to love?

I will grant that "Threshold," as goofy and nonsensical as it is, is actually more entertaining that plenty of dull, forgettable, middle-of-the-road type episodes. "Threshold" is jaw-droppingly insane--like a good episode of AMERICAN HORROR STORY.

Then again, I like the TNG ep where Barclay turns into a giant spider-monster, too. :)

6079SmithW November 21 2012 03:25 AM

"Masks". For some reason it gets a lot of hate around here. Maybe some think Bret Spiner was overacting? I don't know.

Elvira November 21 2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 7283887)
My vote is "The Royale". I think it's one of the funniest episodes in the series.

I love the way they lifted an scene out of Gene Roddenberry's movie/pilot "Questor," and inserted it into the middle of this episode.

:)

lurok November 21 2012 12:40 PM

I don't much like TNG and can't bear Masks but The Royale reminded me a little of Spectre Of The Gun. I have a bizarre fondness for Spock's Brain and don't mind Move Along... and If Wishes... as much as many DS9 fans. I find many praised episodes are highly overrated.

Robert D. Robot November 21 2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

T'Girl wrote: (Post 7285366)
Quote:

I love the way they lifted an scene out of Gene Roddenberry's movie/pilot "Questor," and inserted it into the middle of this episode.

:)

Hi, T'Girl-- It has been a while since I have seen "Questor"... what scene are you referring to?

sonak November 21 2012 04:44 PM

my three have already been mentioned.

"masks," "the royale," and "threshold."

All are much better than unwatchable crap like "the fight," "spirit folk," "a night in sickbay," "the alternative factor," etc. etc.

Nerys Ghemor November 21 2012 06:01 PM

I agree about "Masks." It may be odd, but I definitely have a soft spot for it.

"Move Along Home" is another one that I constantly see trashed, but to me it's the good kind of campy, not the bad kind. And it's doubly ironic that the kind of people who flip out over this episode are exactly the kind of people that the Wadi are rolling their eyes at at the end, for taking everything with deadly seriousness.

The last one for me is "Descent." I was surprised to see how much hate this episode gets, when I joined this forum. It will always be a favorite of mine. (It also explains why I hate Seven of Nine. Seven's robot personality is completely contradicted by Hugh's character arc--there's no doubt Hugh is a highly emotional being...sometimes immature, but certainly not inhibited emotionally in any way.)

plynch November 21 2012 06:21 PM

Spectre of the Gun. I can't fathom why this episode is disliked. HAD they in fact gone to a "Western Planet" ("Archons" was close), like they went to a Nazi Planet, Gangster Planet, Rome PLanet, then yes, this would simply have been the "Western Planet" one.

But they spun straw into gold and made the super-cool, surreal, great character-acting, interesting premise, great soundtrack episode.

BillJ November 21 2012 07:14 PM

The Omega Glory. People get so wrapped up in the flag that they miss a great performance by Morgan Woodward and a compelling story.

Lonemagpie November 21 2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Same here - though more for the reason that it has a real Sapphire & Steel vibe to me.

In TOS it'd be Spectre Of The Gun, which makes the fake looking sets into a cool part of the episode