The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Double-Oh Trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=194350)

Tom Riker November 17 2012 07:18 PM

Double-Oh Trek
 
So in preparation to seeing Skyfall i just watched Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace this morning. What are some Trek novels that do the Bond thing? Looks like Cast No Shadow might fit that bill.


What else?

Sto-Vo-Kory November 17 2012 07:34 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
I believe that the New Frontier/Double Helix novel Double or Nothing by Peter David is a near straight Bond homage.

js November 17 2012 07:45 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Not a novel, but there's the excellent Deep Space Nine episode "Our Man Bashir" that plays in the espionage world. :)

Section 31 stories might also qualify.

zarkon November 17 2012 07:59 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Debtors Planet does a smidgen of the gadget element, but as SVK says, Double or Nothing is the king of it.

Christopher November 17 2012 08:06 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Zero Sum Game is very much a spy thriller, though it's a lot more morally ambiguous than a Bond movie (don't know about the Bond novels).

Lonemagpie November 17 2012 08:22 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Quote:

js wrote: (Post 7269820)
Not a novel, but there's the excellent Deep Space Nine episode "Our Man Bashir" that plays in the espionage world. :)

Section 31 stories might also qualify.

It's really more a Man From Uncle vibe, though...

Christopher November 17 2012 08:51 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Really? I always thought "Our Man Bashir" was rather blatantly a Bond pastiche, what with the women with sexual-innuendo names, the elaborate deathtraps, the tuxedoes, the villain named Dr. Noah, and so on. Although the title is of course an homage to Our Man Flint, the 1966 Bond parody starring James Coburn.

Jarvisimo November 17 2012 09:05 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Hollow Men by Una McCormack is an espionage book, as is her Brinkmanship.

The Wormhole November 17 2012 09:05 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Our Man Bashir did piss off MGM over its Bond similarities. They sent a "strongly worded letter" to Paramount over it.

Allyn Gibson November 17 2012 09:44 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Quote:

js wrote: (Post 7269820)
Section 31 stories might also qualify.

Of the Section 31 novels, the TNG entry Rogue would be the one for espionage thrills.

Though it's not Star Trek (or even a spy novel), I'd also recommend Greg Cox's novelization of Underworld which has a very Ian Fleming-esque flavor. Even if you've seen the movie a couple of times, the novel's quite rewarding.

Lonemagpie November 17 2012 10:01 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 7270066)
Really? I always thought "Our Man Bashir" was rather blatantly a Bond pastiche, what with the women with sexual-innuendo names, the elaborate deathtraps, the tuxedoes, the villain named Dr. Noah, and so on. Although the title is of course an homage to Our Man Flint, the 1966 Bond parody starring James Coburn.

Yeah it's conceptually a Bond thing in intent, but it just has more of an MFU vibe to me - probably because Bashir and Garak make a pair, whereas Bond works alone in general

Christopher November 17 2012 10:22 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 7270252)
Though it's not Star Trek (or even a spy novel), I'd also recommend Greg Cox's novelization of Underworld which has a very Ian Fleming-esque flavor. Even if you've seen the movie a couple of times, the novel's quite rewarding.

If we're broadening it beyond Trek, I'll throw in Wolverine: Road of Bones by David Mack, which is basically Wolverine as Bond.

Allyn Gibson November 17 2012 10:51 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 7270429)
Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 7270252)
Though it's not Star Trek (or even a spy novel), I'd also recommend Greg Cox's novelization of Underworld which has a very Ian Fleming-esque flavor. Even if you've seen the movie a couple of times, the novel's quite rewarding.

If we're broadening it beyond Trek, I'll throw in Wolverine: Road of Bones by David Mack, which is basically Wolverine as Bond.

Oh, yes, an excellent choice.

Sci November 17 2012 11:40 PM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 7269904)
Zero Sum Game is very much a spy thriller, though it's a lot more morally ambiguous than a Bond movie (don't know about the Bond novels).

I'd say that Zero Sum Game is more John le Carré than it is Ian Fleming.

Relayer1 November 18 2012 12:00 AM

Re: Double-Oh Trek
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 7269904)
Zero Sum Game is very much a spy thriller, though it's a lot more morally ambiguous than a Bond movie (don't know about the Bond novels).

I'd say the Bond novels are rather amoral.

And for anyone that has not read them, they are among the best novels I have ever read - put aside any preconceptions you may have from the movies and try them.

And yes, I know Fleming is not exactly viewed as a great writer.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.