The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Pixar Merger with Disney Has Hurt Quality (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=194185)

VulcanJedi November 16 2012 12:15 AM

Pixar Merger with Disney Has Hurt Quality

Sitting here, finally watching Brave. Would have seen it sooner, but poor reviews turned me away.

Right away the problem is clear; overuse of expository in place of showing. This is writing 101; show us don't tell us.
Cars 2: we take a film that actually had a anti-establishment message and turn it into happy feet 3 or back to the barnyard. Pixar films were on a streak of being profound..now, just blah. What happened? Disney?

Dick Whitman November 16 2012 12:20 AM

Re: Pixar Merger with Disney Has Hurt Quality

Maybe no one can simply satisfy everyone forever.... I know its a hard concept to grasp. Try though.

Harvey November 16 2012 12:33 AM

Well, the fact that Pixar has had to produce films at a faster rate after the merger has certainly affected production. Before the merger, apparently, everyone in the company worked (in some capacity) on every film. Now, due to the accelerated release schedule demanded by Disney, that's not possible.

The merger era has also seen far more sequels than were developed in the pre-merger era.

I haven't seen any of their films since Up, so I can't really comment on their recent output's quality, but reviewers have certainly noticed a decline.

VulcanJedi November 16 2012 12:39 AM

That explains it. This is terrible. I heard that they used to work slowly, revising and adding until things were perfect. It's sad to imagine Disney could ruin things like this. The word was the merger would put Pixar in charge, but apparently it was the opposite. Yes, I guess after Up, it's all down hill from there.

Dick Whitman November 16 2012 12:51 AM

I get your point but I think this started before the merger. I think the quality was starting to go down before Disney. I don't think UP or even the first CARS was of the same quality as their early work.

Solstice November 16 2012 12:55 AM

As long as the movies keep making a crapload of money, expect this status quo to continue.

CaptainCanada November 16 2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 7261984)
I haven't seen any of their films since Up, so I can't really comment on their recent output's quality, but reviewers have certainly noticed a decline.

Toy Story 3 got as much praise as any Pixar movie ever has. Cars 2 got scathing reviews, absolutely, but that's John Lasseter's pet enthusiasm, not something Disney forced on them. Brave got better reviews than Cars 2 (it's not their best work by any means, but it's not bad either).

I don't see any real basis for the idea that Disney's acquisition has hurt Pixar. John Lasseter is in charge of running both now.

VulcanJedi November 16 2012 01:37 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed Toy Story 3, so I guess all is not lost. Just finished Brave. To me the big difference is pacing. Allow the story toFlow natural, and from this organic process comes humor and depth. When scenes are rushed there's no chance for emotional connection. Aside from this I'm not sure what the message of Brave was. Almost every Pixar to this point has been nominated, critically acclaimed or awarded. Pixar has been able to find commonality and universal beliefs in an increasingly splintered society. Perhaps Brave delved too far off the grid of anything recognizable? Even so, Girl Power might have hit the bulls eye if it only slowed down a bit.

Alidar Jarok November 16 2012 01:43 AM

What was Bug's Life's message?

Christopher November 16 2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Alidar Jarok wrote: (Post 7262281)
What was Bug's Life's message?

That... you can never have too many The Seven Samurai pastiches? :confused:

Ugly Sweater November 16 2012 05:03 AM

I actually enjoyed "Brave" though, yeah, there was nothing particularly "special" or powerful about it.

Christopher November 16 2012 05:25 AM

Brave was a very good movie. No, it's not as good as Pixar's finest, but compared to non-Pixar movies in general, it's still a high-quality work.

Owain Taggart November 16 2012 06:40 AM

Yeah, I don't think the merger has hurt them yet. The way I see it, it was bound to happen that they'd get a dud out sooner or later, because nobody's perfect. They've been held to such a high standard that we simply expect more out of them, and when more of them fall below that, then that will be a cause for concern, but I just don't see it yet. Give them 3 duds, and I'd maybe start to worry.

Sci November 16 2012 08:05 AM

All artists eventually produce works that aren't up to par with their best. It's just the inevitable nature of artistic production. No one can produce works of genius forever.

Kestrel November 16 2012 02:59 PM

This has reminded me that I still need to see Brave at some point...