The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Terrible TOS performances.... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=193981)

Grant November 13 2012 09:35 PM

Terrible TOS performances....
 
Not goona make a poll, but who really stunk up the joint on TOS with their performance.

PLEASE NOTE: not talking about 1 or 2 line bit parts by any number of young or inexperienced actors (who usually were playing bit crewperson roles.)

What sizable parts were examples of bad acting?


Not too easy because I don't think there were that many.

Grant November 13 2012 09:37 PM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Oh, I forgot to say mine. LOL.

I guess I'd have to go with Angelique Pettyjohn--she wasn't hired for her acting.

Silvercrest November 13 2012 10:29 PM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Do we have to mention Melvin Belli by name, or can we just take that as a given?

Sindatur November 13 2012 10:29 PM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Quote:

Grant wrote: (Post 7251379)
Oh, I forgot to say mine. LOL.

I guess I'd have to go with Angelique Pettyjohn--she wasn't hired for her acting.

I'll bet she appreciated getting a role which required so many cothing, though.

Yea, I'd say she's pretty much at the top of the pile, along with the girl from Spock's brain

ETA: Oh, yea, Silvercrest...I pretty much blocked the Gorgon fom my mind :alienblush:

BillJ November 13 2012 10:34 PM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Quote:

Silvercrest wrote: (Post 7251802)
Do we have to mention Melvin Belli by name, or can we just take that as a given?

He was the one that immediately came to mind for me as well. :techman:

lurok November 13 2012 10:56 PM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
I love TOS, though it might as well be Greek tragedy for all its performance relevance. The only fruity/ripe performance I noticed was Tracey in Omega Glory. The rest I can live with.

BillJ November 13 2012 11:24 PM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Quote:

lurok wrote: (Post 7251967)
I love TOS, though it might as well be Greek tragedy for all its performance relevance. The only fruity/ripe performance I noticed was Tracey in Omega Glory. The rest I can live with.

I loved Morgan Woodward in The Omega Glory!

"We killed thousands! And they still came!", great performance. :techman:

lurok November 13 2012 11:43 PM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Like I said, I love TOS. :) I sometimes wish contemporary actors would be braver in going for 'bold' performance.

BillJ November 14 2012 12:25 AM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Quote:

lurok wrote: (Post 7252249)
Like I said, I love TOS. :) I sometimes wish contemporary actors would be braver in going for 'bold' performance.

I just don't think their as capable. So many of those actors from TOS grew up on the stage, one of the reasons Stewart really sticks out among Modern Trek actors.

One of the reasons modern dramas don't really grab me the way those in the sixties and seventies did.

lurok November 14 2012 12:39 AM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Well, being a brit (hopefully with taste but fun as well) I hear you :)

T'Girl November 14 2012 12:13 PM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7252432)
So many of those actors from TOS grew up on the stage, one of the reasons Stewart really sticks out among Modern Trek actors.

They could "project to the back row."

:)

Grant November 14 2012 05:24 PM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Quote:

Silvercrest wrote: (Post 7251802)
Do we have to mention Melvin Belli by name, or can we just take that as a given?


Given. :lol:

AtoZ November 14 2012 07:23 PM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7252123)
Quote:

lurok wrote: (Post 7251967)
I love TOS, though it might as well be Greek tragedy for all its performance relevance. The only fruity/ripe performance I noticed was Tracey in Omega Glory. The rest I can live with.

I loved Morgan Woodward in The Omega Glory!

"We killed thousands! And they still came!", great performance. :techman:

Agree 100%

EnsignHarper November 14 2012 07:30 PM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Does Robert Brown get a pass because it really wasn't his fault? I am sure he got to see the AF script for about ten minutes - while they were measuring for his costume, and telling him that a car would be picking him up at 5 the next morning to take him out to Vasquez Rocks. :wtf: Even Olivier would be giving a sub par performance under those conditions.

jayrath November 15 2012 12:03 AM

Re: Terrible TOS performances....
 
Quote:

Grant wrote: (Post 7251379)
Oh, I forgot to say mine. LOL.

I guess I'd have to go with Angelique Pettyjohn--she wasn't hired for her acting.

I thought she did a fine job in a lousy part. She did exactly what the script demanded, and executed a pretty good fight scene. It's not like she was called upon to emote, though she did tear up on cue at the end. I have greater problems with other obligatory babes of the week, such as (I forget her name) the vacuous cloud city woman.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.