The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Babylon 5 vs Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=193942)

EmoBorg November 13 2012 12:45 PM

Babylon 5 vs Deep Space Nine

How do the 2 great 90s space station based sci fi shows match up to each other. If you feel both are equal on certain issues, then you can vote for both.

DarthTom November 13 2012 05:20 PM

Re: Babylon 5 vs Deep Space Nine

I voted DS9 straight down until I got to the villains. The shadows and the Psyche core were much better than the Dominion IMO as a villain.

Also, the friction between Londo and Gkar being multi-dimensional good and bad throughout the series also made them as protagonists much more interesting than any villainous character on DS9

Kelthaz November 13 2012 05:24 PM

Babylon 5:

- Plot
- Cast

Deep Space Nine:

- Villains
- Commander

I never much cared for The Shadows. Felt too much like something out of Lord of the Rings rather than a science fiction show. The Dominion worked much better.

DarthTom November 13 2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Kelthaz wrote: (Post 7249921)
Babylon 5:

- Plot
- Cast

I'd place Avery Brooks notoriously bad overacting against Bruce Boxleitner's notoriously bad overacting any day of the week. ;)

Kelthaz November 13 2012 05:38 PM

Oh, definitely. I much prefer Sisko to Sheridan or Sinclair. Overacting beats bad acting any day of the week.

OmahaStar November 13 2012 05:45 PM

It's the war that never ends ...

Jim Steele November 13 2012 05:46 PM

DS9:

Cast

B5:

Everything else

Pretty tough to choose as they're both honestly my favourite sci-fi shows of all time*. But I think DS9 was a more quality production, especially in terms of acting.

Would never say one was particularly better than the other, though. Different strengths.

* Apart from Stargate. O'Neill could take both those clowns.

DarthTom November 13 2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Kelthaz wrote: (Post 7249984)
Oh, definitely. I much prefer Sisko to Sheridan or Sinclair. Overacting beats bad acting any day of the week.

At least with Brooks he got better as the series progressed whereas IMO Boxleitner was bad at the start through the finish.

OmahaStar November 13 2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

DarthTom wrote: (Post 7250038)
Quote:

At least with Brooks he got better as the series progressed whereas IMO Boxleitner was bad at the start through the finish.

I have to disagree with that.

In the beginning, he was acting as Captain Skippy. Even his voice over in the opening credits reflected this. Later, as he grew into the role, and the role grew into him, he was so much better, so much more entertaining. He was pretty awesome.

Brooks, on the other paw, seemed more bored the longer he went on. By the time season 7 came around, he looked like he was desperate to leave every time he was on screen.

Jan November 13 2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

OmahaStar wrote: (Post 7250344)
Quote:

DarthTom wrote: (Post 7250038)
Quote:

I have to disagree with that.

In the beginning, he was acting as Captain Skippy. Even his voice over in the opening credits reflected this. Later, as he grew into the role, and the role grew into him, he was so much better, so much more entertaining. He was pretty awesome.

Not to mention (and I know Omaha knows this), Sheridan was deliberately written at first to work with the audience's expectations of a lightweight based on his previous roles.

I never gave much thought to Boxleitner's acting ability until the scene with Kosh in "Interludes and Examinations". Especially considering his actin partner was a mobile shower curtain.

Jan

Holdfast November 13 2012 07:33 PM

I voted a lot of B5, but kept wanted to add a "but..."

The thing is, at its peak, B5 captivated my attention & interest more than DS9. I thought the story was more epic & exciting (and dare I say, a fair bit higher in concept) and I was well & truly hooked. But (there it is again), it didn't sustain the peak. Neither did DS9, mind you, but it was very good for about 4/5 years and average over 2/3, whereas B5 was utterly superb for two seasons, average for a couple and pretty poor in the last series.

I don't really like comparing them too; it's just good that we had two such fun series to watch.

lennier1 November 13 2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

OmahaStar wrote: (Post 7250008)
It's the war that never ends ...

Just couldn't resist:

Morpheus 02 November 13 2012 08:39 PM

I put down Babylon 5 for best Plot and and DS9 for best commander. The other categories, i abstained (but should have voted for both -- missed that instruction).

The plot of Babylon 5 was essentially a 5 year arc -- something relatively new & innovative for TV, and we could really see the benefits of it over the years.

I think Sisko was better commander -- in terms of how he was portrayed and written. For example, i REALLY appreciated the family relaitonships with his father & son. 3 different people (in terms of caeer choice, for example), but completely believable as close family who love & respect each other.

I would add in another category: impact on Fandom. And Babylon 5 would win, IMHO. For example, the term Lurkers has gone way beyond Babylon 5 . (Also the importance/value of story arcs).

And I still think Deep Space 9 ripped off the general CONCEPT of Babylon 5, but still created a great show in its own right, with some unique qualities of its own, and in some ways the best of the Trek series.

Both series especially has some AMAZING actors, especially among the secondary cast.

I am glad both existed, and wish SyFy would air both of these again on TV.

Mage November 13 2012 09:44 PM

As much as I love B5 and DS9 equally, B5 can get quite cheesy at time when it comes to plot, dialogue and characters.

DonIago November 13 2012 10:15 PM

Due largely to the fundamental difference is how the two shows were handled (B5 generally laid out in advance, DS9 improvising to a large degree), I don't care to compare the two in that manner.

Cast-wise, they both had their strengths and weaknesses, so again, I don't feel there's a good basis for an overall statement. I'm gay, but a Kira-Ivanova fight would be gangbusters.

Sheridan probably beats out Sisko for speechifying, but Sheridan may have been a bit too much of the Ideal vs. Sisko's Realistic (we're all well-aware that he was willing to get his hands dirty).

The Shadows (well, their ships) were the major reason I got into B5 initially, but as a threat they're vaguely simplistic (EVIL!!!) compared to some of the dynamics of the Dominion...nevermind that those dynamics never got to the point of fundamentally altering the direction of the story.

I call it too close to call.