The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica & Caprica (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   All Along The Watchtower (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=193816)

intrinsical November 12 2012 02:23 PM

All Along The Watchtower

Pretty amazing acapella covers of BSG's All Along The Watchtower.

st.barthgirl November 29 2012 01:18 AM

Re: All Along The Watchtower

he he.... yeah, they're good... thank you for posting.

i don't know how many fans realize that this was a bob dylan song well before bear mcreary decided to co-opt it for BSG?

the Lyrics can be dissected with eerie interpretations... it's a Song for All Time, IMHO.

Sindatur November 29 2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

st.barthgirl wrote: (Post 7318657)

i don't know how many fans realize that this was a bob dylan song well before bear mcreary decided to co-opt it for BSG?

the Lyrics can be dissected with eerie interpretations... it's a Song for All Time, IMHO.

I was completely in the dark at first. all the way back in the late 70s/early 80s when I first heard it, I thought it was Jimi Hendrix's original song, I was extremely surprised to here Bob Dylan's version

FelizNavidad November 29 2012 11:33 PM

Wow. Listening to the Sac State group and that is really really well done.

Enterprise is Great November 30 2012 01:12 AM

For some reason the Hendrix version got to be better known than Dylan's original. I'm not sure why that happened. Maybe because Hendrix did it better.

Guy Gardener November 30 2012 01:27 AM

One is a musician and the other is a poet.

Completely different audiences.

Snowy Roshi November 30 2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Guy Gardener wrote: (Post 7323316)
One is a magician and the other is a poet.

Completely different audiences.

FTFY

Yuletide Caroler November 30 2012 06:09 AM

I love the human voice ... but I cannot stand a cappella (go figure). Such dreadful, nails-on-chalkboard noise.

Gah! :scream:

Ar-Pharazon December 3 2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Sindatur wrote: (Post 7322611)
Quote:

st.barthgirl wrote: (Post 7318657)

I was completely in the dark at first. all the way back in the late 70s/early 80s when I first heard it, I thought it was Jimi Hendrix's original song, I was extremely surprised to here Bob Dylan's version

I think I had the same idea. Jimi's version was huge, and it was of course, Jimi.

Dave Mason, who played the 12 string guitar on Jimi's version, did the song himself.

Bob Dylan might be the most covered artist of all time. Probably quite a few songs people thought were someone else's just due to the popularity of the cover.

Deckerd December 3 2012 07:49 PM

Depends on your age. The first time one of them said 'there must be some way out of here' my OH said 'that's a Bob Dylan song they're ripping off'.

Silvercrest December 3 2012 07:54 PM

You mean Alan Moore didn't write it for Watchmen?

;)

Yuletide Caroler December 3 2012 09:56 PM

You mean Zack Snyder didn't write Watchmen? ;)